2006 Unsw Co-ops (1 Viewer)

phrred

HSC
yy said:
from what i heard, it's an extended course, much like BCom, but with some extra units in international dealings, and you HAVE TO do an exchange, and they give you some financial support for it.
so BComm with hints of B International Studies
do u know if you can have 3 majors in it, 2 in comm and 1 in arts (language)?

yy

HSC
N/A
phrred said:
so BComm with hints of B International Studies
do u know if you can have 3 majors in it, 2 in comm and 1 in arts (language)?
it's possible to do 3 majors, though i'm not sure whether the third major has to be a certain thing or not.

so does anyone know if you can get co-op for this program/course/degree?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i really doubt that it would have co-op because what would you do for the IT in the international component.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
hey i have friends who do accounting for bcomm and they're breezing through it (credit averages - hey i reckon that's good!)

so how come finance co-ops still require a D average whilst acct which doesn't appear to be all that tough is only a credit average? there's no justice in this accounting-centric commerce/business world :(

Raginsheep

HSC
Remember, in uni everything is to do with demand rather than actual difficulties.

Might be because accounting has a undersupply of grads and thus they might be willing to compromise their standards just a little.

Finance on the other hand doesn't have such a problem and can afford to cherry pick.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i would have thought there'd be an over-supply of accountants?

seriously step into unsw commerce/eco faculty ask 10 people something like 5 will say acct..i think :eek:

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
bobness said:
so how come finance co-ops still require a D average whilst acct which doesn't appear to be all that tough is only a credit average? there's no justice in this accounting-centric commerce/business world :(
not for any of the reasons above

finance co-op program includes an honours thesis in 4th yr, the requirement for honours in finance at unsw for all students is a distinction average, thus it is fair that the finance co-ops must be able to attain that mark for the purposes of fulfilling their program (thus, doing honours)

it isnt a supply/demand issue at all. accounting honours only requires a credit average (albeit a high credit?), and in any case co-ops arent forced to do it

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
To do accounting honours you need a distinction average, and the same applies to finance. Accounting co-ops don't need to do honours, but finance co-ops do need to do finance honours as part of their program. Makes finance co-op much more academically rigorous.

phrred

HSC
mr_shittles said:
To do accounting honours you need a distinction average, and the same applies to finance. Accounting co-ops don't need to do honours, but finance co-ops do need to do finance honours as part of their program. Makes finance co-op much more academically rigorous.
You need a good credit 70% for accounting not a D

turtleface

HSC
bobness said:
i would have thought there'd be an over-supply of accountants?

seriously step into unsw commerce/eco faculty ask 10 people something like 5 will say acct..i think :eek:
although general supply is much more now than this time last year, grad supply is totally f*****. I dunno about NSW, but in victoria:

our uni (melb) has about 600(/2000 or so per year) or so enrolled in 2nd yr Accounting this year (of those about 400 are overseas students = ineligible for local jobs (or if they later are, are discriminated against anyway). That leaves about 200 accounting grads every year for our uni.

Amongst the big 4,KPMG alone took almost 200 from Victoria last year.

In our uni, everyone's flocking into Finance. For every Finance job you have about 10 people for 1 position. whereas in accounting its more like 2 to 1.
The issue is compounded cause Accounting grads are eligible for most finance jobs so the figure is even bigger.

for us Finance honours requires a HD average, and Accounting Honours a D average even though finance takes like 60 ppl (quota-ed) and accounting like 3. Its cause there are so many finance ppl who can't find a job and/or want to do honours that if it was less than 80% or higher average, pretty much everyone applies.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
So much mis-information in this thread. I suggest everyone research yourself and don't trust anything said in here.

waiter

HSC
N/A
redslert said:
So much mis-information in this thread. I suggest everyone research yourself and don't trust anything said in here.
I couldn't agree more.

As a former co-op with a role in shaping the recent co-op changes; don't believe the crap that's flying around.

hahahahahah then there's that troll turtleface, who throws in some bullshit about melbourne. ummm WE DON'T CARE. THIS IS ABOUT UNSW CO-OPS. FK OFF ALREADY.

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
attitude ;) as nice as it is a bit unnecessary dont ya think mate? or at least keep it to pm's for everyone elses benefit as oppose to a running battle btwn threads. thanks :)

and my post was correct info to my knowledge!

but if someone could clarify, wam needed for acct honours?

the supply/demand issue is irrelevant for the purpose of this discussion, related to req. marks needed for co-ops. if you have comments/thoughts/queries related to that plz do consider where to post it, ty.

phrred

HSC
i cant see where it says 75%, im blind
thats odd coz handbook says

4.4.1 satisfy the Pass degree requirements and obtain a minimum average of 70% in Level 2 and Level 3 courses of the relevant disciplinary stream in the Pass degree component,

but ive seen mistakes in the handbook b4 so probably go with the 75%

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
i think i'll just apply for accounting.

finance is giving me the chills now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)