2007 co-op (1 Viewer)

lanyon

HSC
im sure there is, just none from this forum

Last edited:

JustWin

HSC
im worried about my marks
i dont think i can pull higher than 97 at this rate. u think i can make it to actuaries?

Raginsheep

HSC
Actuarial studies only needs a ~93 at UNSW. Its not whether you can make it, its whether you can stick with it.

lanyon

HSC
they were saying alot of the people in the acturial studies Co-op program have UAIs over 99.5.
To actually do actuarial studies (not co-op) requires a UAI of 93 (at UNSW).

phrred

HSC
lanyon said:
they were saying alot of the people in the acturial studies Co-op program have UAIs over 99.5.
To actually do actuarial studies (not co-op) requires a UAI of 93 (at UNSW).
read the thread name

jgeo2000

HSC
mk people tell me what my chances are
- applied for the finance and accounting co-op
- im at uni already and currently sitting on D average
- i only got 95.45 but it is possible my UAI could be revised to somewhere around 97 if i pull a HD or two.
- i have bucket loads of extra curricular e.g. debating, tennis coaching primary school students, school athletics team, school tennis team, anti bullying campaigning, some stupid defence 2020 youth challenge, engineering challenge, science thing at uni, deloitte development program, some artworks for people, creating some award for a teacher.

ANY chance or lost cause?

phrred

HSC
jgeo2000 said:
mk people tell me what my chances are
- applied for the finance and accounting co-op
- im at uni already and currently sitting on D average
- i only got 95.45 but it is possible my UAI could be revised to somewhere around 97 if i pull a HD or two.
- i have bucket loads of extra curricular e.g. debating, tennis coaching primary school students, school athletics team, school tennis team, anti bullying campaigning, some stupid defence 2020 youth challenge, engineering challenge, science thing at uni, deloitte development program, some artworks for people, creating some award for a teacher.

ANY chance or lost cause?
are you at UNSW?
Can you get co-ops as a 2nd yr? i didnt think so i might be wrong, unless you're transferrin and startin again.

It may be hard to get into the finance as there is so much high quality competition
for it. Accounting you MAY have a chance in if you can get you're revised UAI to about 98

JustWin

HSC
i only have sport and music...
but i go to an elite private school. would they be biased? ehehe i hope so

and also, u can get co-ops as a 2nd year. i know someone who did

Last edited:

lanyon

HSC
Is the finance Co-op harder to get into than the Acutarial studies Co-op?

JustWin

HSC
depends on how many ppl applying i guess. atm seems like theres more ppl applying for finance. and i think that to get into actuary co-op ull need a pretty high uai

jon0_o

HSC
i talked to a guy on the open day and he said actuary is the 'hardest' to get into but I think he meant academically. There are more places in actuary though so i think finance is harder bc there's lest places and also the candidature of applicants I'd imagine would be more all rounded (better extra curricula slightly worse academic). That's just my opinion cos everyone's said actuary is boring and they're ALL asian. You only need 93 to get in but I don't think you'd survive with that, I'd imagine 98 UAI min with 3 and 4U marks of at least 94-95.
My prefs were
1.marketing
2. accounting
3. finance
I had a lot of trouble pickin prefs because I was considering engineering too, but 4U maths this year has really annoyed me.
I would have put accounting first because I reckon I have the best chance in that bc there's more and not as quality candidates, but my thinking is that its really easy to get a job in accounting even if I didn't get a coop. But apparently marketing is a lot harder to get a good job, same with finance and actuary. So even though I think each career interests me equally I thought marketing would be best opportunity although I think there were only 4 last yr, as opposed to 7 finance, 17? actuary and 20+ accounting. And my marks have been really down this year, I think my UAI will be higher than what they'd predict from my trials, but they wouldn't be able to tell. I thought academic would be my strong point, cos i have alright extracurricula but not super fantastic, and I was looking at a 99.5 at the beginning of the year, but now more like high 98's. but last year someone 1 person got acctn, 1 actuarial and they both got btwn 98 and 99. so if you're below 99 there's still hope for actuarial and 1 got ISN with 99+
captain, school captain, and youth speaker at this environmental summit.

I think (I could be wrong) but even if it's not actuarial they prefer ppl who do 4U maths for accnt, finance, marketing as well. definitely for finance, but I had a look at the 2005 coop book and that has recommended knowledge 4U for all those courses. but there's a new coordinator or something of the coop program who started last yr so maybe that's why it changed.

And yes the online application website really really sucks, it wouldn't let me put in my english marks.

phrred

HSC
JustWin said:
i only have sport and music...
but i go to an elite private school. would they be biased? ehehe i hope so

and also, u can get co-ops as a 2nd year. i know someone who did
i went to grammar too (04). i only know 2 people from SGS in co-op- chris lim n dane

JustWin

HSC
u know how we have to hand in application b4 our HSC marks are published? how do they select the ppl for interviews? (we get our UAI after they tell us wheter we make interviews)

jgeo2000

HSC
Hmmm i did 3unit cos i couldnt be half arsed doin 4 unit and i didnt want to drop visual arts.

I would say your school marks are usually a good indicator of how well your gonna do in the HSC although it isnt always the case.
they would select people for interview based on a combination of school marks or previously attained UAI and also if they have done any other extra curricular activities as well as any work experience. You could have an incredibly high UAI and be as entertaining and socially interactive as a vegetable hence the need for other qualifications. The interview is just to see whether they like you or not and think you suitable for the position and i would say the UAI when calculated would just confirm their decisions.

thats just a blind stab in the dark on how i think the process probably goes.

JustWin

HSC
but a person coming 1st in Chatswood High doesnt necessarily mean he's getting a higher uai than a person coming 100th in James Ruse. so wouldnt be disadvantageous to those in the "highly competitive institutions"

JustWin

HSC
but a person coming 1st in Chatswood High doesnt necessarily mean he's getting a higher uai than a person coming 100th in James Ruse. so wouldnt it be disadvantageous to those in the "highly competitive institutions"?

jgeo2000

HSC
no because they would expect the competition to be high and besides, if your marks are good then you should do well in the HSC and your estimated UAI should be good. They would have a pretty good idea of what to expect from certain institutions by now.

pikablu0530

HSC
N/A
JustWin said:
u know how we have to hand in application b4 our HSC marks are published? how do they select the ppl for interviews? (we get our UAI after they tell us wheter we make interviews)
The people selected for interviews are purely based on the trial marks and school reports you've submitted. It is also based on the order you placed your choices and (i think) what you wrote for the questions.

Getting an interview just mean you passed the first round. As long as you get the interview, your academic marks are good enough and no need to worry. Just do well in your interview.

If you get pass the interview and offered a "conditional scholarship" (which comes before the actual HSC/UAI results are released), then basically you're in. Just make sure you reach the minimum UAI required (95 for Commerce i think).

So basically, you actually get selected before the actual UAI comes out. Coming first in your high school or UAI of 99.95 doesn't mean you'll get the scholarship. A major part of the selection process is the interview and what achievements and extracurricular stuff you've done. That's all they ask you in the interview. They don't even care about your school marks once you've been selected for an interview.

cruzer

HSC
velox said:
For actuarial, you need around 99.5 or so, and very good extra curiculars. School sport wont cut it.
§eraphim said:
Nearly all Actuarial Co-op students have UAIs of 99.5+.
Wow, that's so high considering the cut off for an application is 95.7. There goes my chances :(. Can you quote this from anywhere?
It must be pretty competitive, if they attract that many 99.5+ students with outstanding extra curriculars. o_O Most of them are likely to go to med or law anyway?

I didn't think there were even that many people who were like prefect, 1st VIII, 1st XI or 1st XV, Combined GPS Selection, lead musician, cadets CUO, 1sts Debating GPS Premiers, random school commitee/club leader, award winning participation in community service with hospitals/environment, and still get a uai of 99.5+ with a 4u mark of 95+ ...? That's insanely impressive. And the handful we do have each year all choose to do actuarial studies with a co-op?

Come to think of it, I can only think of one high boy in recent years, having achieved close to that, and he's doing comm/law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)