2007 co-op (1 Viewer)

cruzer

HSC
I swear fucking everyone who applied for Actuarial as their first choice got an interview, so much for the extra curricular criteria. Looks like they want to interview every person. (and choose the hot people)

(Not meant to make people feel bad; just an observation)

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
my friend wants to know cos i have no idea. but do you reckon they have another round of inteviews? i tell her no.. she doesn't believe me ...

bacon_its_bacon

HSC
They don't have second round interviews. Its just the one round, they like to interview lots and lots of people and pick who is good at communication skills as well because the kept getting lots of people at the interview that lacked the skills in that respect but were great at academic. hence the emphasis on extra curricular activities.

I got a chemical engineering inteview for co-op and a civil for the rural interviews

I swear they gave like every single person an interview....

Roobs

HSC
i got conflicting interview times, for different courses??....like 10:00am for Mechanical Co-op, and 10:00am for aerospace, Rural.....im guessing that means theyre the same thing :-/ considering i didnt put down for aerospace, just mechatronics.....

broady

w3rd
HSC
it should say if youre getting 1 interview to be considered for 2 scholarships

my BIT and ISM are at the same time (10:00 am nov 28)

angelzstorm

Premium Member
HSC
well, it depends every year on how many sponsors they have...normally they are Coca cola Ammatil et.c.

slix_88

HSC
angelzstorm said:
well, it depends every year on how many sponsors they have...normally they are Coca cola Ammatil et.c.
Yeh, i read that on the website too about how it's dependent upon the sponsors...

But does anyone have a "rough" estimate, like a range according to how many were accepted last year?

jon0_o

HSC
it depends which course, it varies a lot. Like Accounting and BIT have 20-30 each, but finance marketing and most of the various engineering streams have btwn 4-8, although it does vary alot. I think overall it's roughly 100.

JustWin

HSC
wtf...no one from my school made it.
i think its cus of our weird scaling system, i mean i came 4th in a subject by got a scaled mark of 65. unless they hate private schools or something...

cus theres this one guy whos prefect(leadership), debating(communication), gps sport(team wokr), charity work(caring for the world), aryan and still didnt get it..wtf, and ppl from random public schools keep getting it. i mean theres ppl who say 'everyone gets them'. wtf wtf wtf

i draw the conclusion that co-op hates private schools...

sillysausage200

HSC
um, i got an interview and i go to a private school (barker) so i think your theory on co-op hating private schools isn't quite right. i also know plenty of private school kids that have received co-op scholarships in the past.

fact is, a lot of people apply for co-op and so there will be plenty of well-rounded individuals that miss out. the majority of people who apply are smart and involved etc. as most others wouldn't really bother taking any notice of scholarships. it really just depends on who's looking at your application and if you happen to meet a certain criteria that they're looking for.

your friend that was a prefect and debater was unlucky but the majority of people that get interviews i think i can safely say hold leadership roles within their schools and are active in extra-curricula activities. so this guy was competing against a group of people with similar attributes to him and probably just missed out due to some particular trait that others had and he didn't.

cruzer

HSC
JustWin said:
wtf...no one from my school made it.
i think its cus of our weird scaling system, i mean i came 4th in a subject by got a scaled mark of 65. unless they hate private schools or something...

cus theres this one guy whos prefect(leadership), debating(communication), gps sport(team wokr), charity work(caring for the world), aryan and still didnt get it..wtf, and ppl from random public schools keep getting it. i mean theres ppl who say 'everyone gets them'. wtf wtf wtf

i draw the conclusion that co-op hates private schools...
Dude, maybe the crap people in our 'random public schools' didn't apply, whereas there were lots of hopefuls at Grammar. Anyway, given your description of that character, if he's prefect, debating, GPS (any firsts or seconds?), charity, he should easily make it. Either that or his marks aren't good enough, because his extra curricular is sufficient. He may also have fucked his form up, in one way or another, which he wasn't aware of. However there were people who were offered with less extracurricular activities than that description, but had really high marks. So yeh, unlucky, didn't cut it.

And High's not a random public school, the 06 form has about 15ish co-ops interviews so far with lots of doubles, and that's not even with our excellent top guys applying, as they all have their eyes set on law and med, where there were 23 med interviews this year.

Anyway, doesn't Grammar kiss USYD on the ass, so according to your theory, maybe you guys have lots of success there.

Last edited:

quinnm2006

HSC
Bad luck guys.

I got an interview for FINANCE and ISM. Not sure if I'll take it if I get one, probably will, depends on whether I get into law and I already have a LIQUIDATION traineeship...oh well, better study for economics on Tuesday, that'll be the deciding factor...see some of you guys on Nov 28th.

adgala

HSC
would anybody know what the UAI cutoff for BIT/comp science has been for the past few years?

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
BIT and comp sci both have low cut-offs (ie. 85). I applied for co-op in both comp sci and BIT with comp sci as first choice........and i got rejected for comp sci but got an interview for BIT...not happy.....

haque

HSC
i only applied for actuarial- all the guys that applied for actuarial(me and minh, yip, ying) got offered interviews-they look at ur projected uai quite closely i htink, even more than extra curricular

cruzer

HSC
haque said:
i only applied for actuarial- all the guys that applied for actuarial(me and minh, yip, ying) got offered interviews-they look at ur projected uai quite closely i htink, even more than extra curricular
Yes, that's quite strange they want to interview everyone. I've heard of people having really crappy extra curriculars and really high maths markst get offered interviews as well, sort of off from the co-op criteria. I don't think the finance and accounting interviews were as generous though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)