2007 co-op (1 Viewer)

phrred

HSC
JustWin said:
wtf...no one from my school made it.
i think its cus of our weird scaling system, i mean i came 4th in a subject by got a scaled mark of 65. unless they hate private schools or something...

cus theres this one guy whos prefect(leadership), debating(communication), gps sport(team wokr), charity work(caring for the world), aryan and still didnt get it..wtf, and ppl from random public schools keep getting it. i mean theres ppl who say 'everyone gets them'. wtf wtf wtf

i draw the conclusion that co-op hates private schools...
thats unlucky, in the past couple of yrs abt 1 grammar guy has got it and both got high 98s.
Are you gonna do straight BComm at UNSW now?

chinkiwinki

HSC
haque said:
i only applied for actuarial- all the guys that applied for actuarial(me and minh, yip, ying) got offered interviews-they look at ur projected uai quite closely i htink, even more than extra curricular
Hey Imran - Congrats on co-op interview!

I applied for CompSci and ITM and managed to get an ITM interview. See you on briefing day!

Rowan

sunny

meh.
HSC
cruzer said:
so much for the extra curricular criteria. Looks like they want to interview every person
cruzer said:
Yes, that's quite strange they want to interview everyone. I've heard of people having really crappy extra curriculars and really high maths markst get offered interviews as well, sort of off from the co-op criteria.
I have heard from other actuaries that they do look at marks more closely than other coops, but obviously, if they're just marks and nothing else they'll flop in the interview.

Generally speaking, like any other paper and interview application, your application is just a piece of paper and you should be using it to impress the reader as much as possible without going overboard. Since this is coop, the application should highlight your academic side but still point out your extra cirricular activities.

The point of the interview is then to learn more about you to find out whether you have the right personality/attitude to be a coop; so that wouldn't be the time to tell them about how you aced your 4 unit math exams.

JustWin said:
cus theres this one guy whos prefect(leadership), debating(communication), gps sport(team wokr), charity work(caring for the world), aryan and still didnt get it..wtf, and ppl from random public schools keep getting it.
I would say his application wasn't very well worded then.

haque

HSC
chinkiwinki said:
Hey Imran - Congrats on co-op interview!

I applied for CompSci and ITM and managed to get an ITM interview. See you on briefing day!

Rowan
LOl i never knew that was u-Congrats man c u on briefing day and hopefully the interview itself

JustWin

HSC
i reckon not many ppl from grammar got in cus we get crap scaling in exams. whereas other schools get marks of like 95+, we have to write marks of like 60-70 even tho our projected uai is 98+.

phred, i'd have to go to usyd now, where all grammar ppl belong

bacon_its_bacon

HSC
my marks were all in the 60's as well because our school doesn't believe in scaling and I still got two interviews... I think they look at your ranks (according to your school of coarse) and your projected UAI more.

FQ

HSC
Applied for engineering and got my 4th pref. Materials engineering.

Was expecting my 1st or 2nd, something like Mechanical or Electrical.

1st in eng. studies and 3rd in physics. My estimate was 98.

I'd done heaps of extra-curricular stuff such as SRC, House captain and other stuff.

I was hoping that rebuilding a VW (1961 beetle) would have helped.

I guess they look at academics firstly and then other stuff, so if u go to JR etc. u have a better chance than anyone else. Evein if u did fudge the extra-curricular. I know heaps of people apply for Med and Law interview practice.

Looking to own Mechanical eng. at UNSW with or without co-op.

BTW wouldn't mind paying for a Mechanical interview. Hows $200? :)

bacon_its_bacon

HSC
Your probably right. I had first in Chemistry, Physics and Engineering. 2nd in 4 unit, 3rd in 3 unit and 11th out of 110 in English Advanced. I go to a public school but then again there are 250 year 12's in my year. They probably do rely on academic. Maybe they are just trying to get the cream of the crop.

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
actually i don't think JR people got many interviews this year.........i always felt that they cared about extra-cirricular more

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
the james ruse kids with some sort of life usually hoard all the accounting co-ops

punk_tartan

HSC
i got two interviews, one for my first prefernce materials science and one for my third, industrial chem

i was 4th in my year
and at a private school

goodsirclose

HSC
me too~~~got an interview for material eng~dont know what to do next~
i got crappy extra curricular activities,honestly~school rank is ok,but i think i have stuffed up all my subjects in the hsc
(T_T)
hopeless~!!

jon0_o

HSC
My impression was they look for a certain standard of academics and if you reach that cut off then it's down to your extra curricula and your interview. say for finance I think someone said they look for 97+ but as long as your above it then it's how unique you are. but actuaries definitely need a high academics because they don't want people to fail, they want people to be at the top of the group academically as well as leadership wise, which means they would need a high 98 at least. Also they want people who would suit the career and actuaries tend to be more .... studious. But I think they take into account your school to a degree, they know what soughta results to expect.

Marst4r

HSC
^ Sounds bout right bro. I only applied for ISM and considering i do subjects like food technology (LOL) and PDHPE... -_-" and still got an interview, pretty sweet. Just stuffs up my schoolies plans sigh -_-"

phrred

HSC
JustWin said:
i reckon not many ppl from grammar got in cus we get crap scaling in exams. whereas other schools get marks of like 95+, we have to write marks of like 60-70 even tho our projected uai is 98+.

phred, i'd have to go to usyd now, where all grammar ppl belong
u kno com at unsw is better though!
all the azn grammars r at unsw

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
but usyd = most awesome thing ever.

even though marketing @ unsw is supposed to be 'better'...

but USYD = LOVE!

and are you srs they are? oh god =/ are they the stereotypical 'asian gangsta types too"? hah theyre so funny

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Marst4r said:
^ Sounds bout right bro. I only applied for ISM and considering i do subjects like food technology (LOL) and PDHPE... -_-" and still got an interview, pretty sweet. Just stuffs up my schoolies plans sigh -_-"
BAHAAHAHA hey is that you chong?

misdreavous said:
actually i don't think JR people got many interviews this year.........i always felt that they cared about extra-cirricular more
unless you asked every single person in the grade hao i don't think a crap justification like that's going to cut it

blackfriday said:
the james ruse kids with some sort of life usually hoard all the accounting co-ops
yeah very true accounting's always popular with the rusers. but there aren't many places offered for finance though in spite of its popularity; i hear the median uai to enter (from some random mofo on forums) is 99.4 cause it was in their sig. lol if there's only 4 places that'd explain why.

usyd sh*ts on unsw anyway :)

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
bobness said:
unless you asked every single person in the grade hao i don't think a crap justification like that's going to cut it
apparently ruse got 8 actuarial scholars (notice scholars not interviews) last year.....you think we can get anywhere near that number this year, Mr Robert Liang..?? NO i haven't ask 'everyone' in the grade hence the "think" but i do have a general idea. Also if they don't look at extra-curricular more (go read the brochure) then i'd believe ruse will get at least half the scholarships

if you know better than me then please do enlighten me with that knowledge rather than post a line that i would take as an insult

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)