2007 Federal Budget (1 Viewer)

Raginsheep

HSC
lol, I haven't seen much of the budget yet so I won't comment much but Craig James on Channel 9 probably just had one of the biggest wanks on national tv.

To those of you who have seen it properly, how is it really?

HSC
N/A
What exactly wil this mean for universities? I have looked at the Federal Budget, but it is not very detailed

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Can you not go half a post without your incredibly lame, partisian, pseudo-political hack type posts?
Can you not go half a post without a comment that fulfils some form of self-gratifying, masturbation?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the measures in relation to performance based pay (tied to federal funding), and 'summer school' for teachers are quite positive. Each will ensure that the quality of our protected, and untouchable teachers is at least somewhat challenged. It would have been even more solid if they made it mandatory for state departments to implement educator assessment programmes that re-assess the quality of each teacher at a fixed interval (say five years), and determine accreditation based upon this assessment.

The lack of accountability and tracking of educator standards is appalling, and if any government or opposition really wants to make inroads in the quality of our education system, improving these areas is essential.

The vast majority of other professions continally undergo a process of re-accreditation and assessment and adhere to stringent accountability guidelines in relation to performance. I don't see that teaching, as a union dominated profession, should be any different. The Teachers Association is more preoccupied with protecting the interests of the teachers as oppose to improving the quality of teaching standards for our future.

Sparcod said:
So are you saying that 'swinging voters' are denying that they are lefties??
No, what I'm saying is that the sentiment of those blogs does not represent the perceptions of the broader electorate

Last edited:

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Sound budget for the Liberals.

Tax cuts should see the Liberals home (Everyone likes tax cuts!) even though the tax cut for my bracket is perhaps little more than giving bracket creep back, it's better than a slap in the face.

The Liberal party is, very much, while Howard is PM, the natural party of government. It will be interesting to see how the Liberals go when (and seriously if) Howard retires.

I don't think Swan could actually say much. The economy is relatively healthy, most people have jobs, income tax has been cut again and work choices won't be used by employers until after the elections.

I'd pretty much bet the house on the Liberals to win the election.

Last edited:

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
wheredanton said:

I'd pretty much bet the house on the Liberals to win the election.

I wouldn't go that far. Howard is clever, but so is Rudd. It could be as close as 1961..

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
frog12986 said:
I wouldn't go that far. Howard is clever, but so is Rudd. It could be as close as 1961..
You have to be a fool for bet any money on the ALP claiming power.

You can wager a bet with me if you like. I'd be happy to take your money at the end of the year.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
wheredanton said:
You have to be a fool for bet any money on the ALP claiming power.

You can wager a bet with me if you like. I'd be happy to take your money at the end of the year.
Haha.. I suppose it's easier for me to say as I'm not a gambler..

However, the betting markets, although readjusted after last night, still indicate a skew towards the ALP..

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Honestly, what could you say about the budget besides agreeing with it? It hit the mark so succinctly...
Well I'm all for what we've just recieved but you could argue:

- They have had 10 years in which they could have done such measures before, this is just a desperate plea.
- A lot of the payments are one off and perhaps you could argue much of what is being given will be taken away next budget if the coalition returns.
- It is inflationary
- Not enough spent on global warming.

Meh

banco55

HSC
I do think it's kind of disturbing how apparently people's vote rests to a large extent on how big a bribe they get with taxpayers money. Say what you want about the US but they don't have the same kind of hand out mentality when it comes to government spending.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
frog12986 said:
Haha.. I suppose it's easier for me to say as I'm not a gambler..

However, the betting markets, although readjusted after last night, still indicate a skew towards the ALP..
Put your money where your mouth is! I'd happily take a wager with anyone that the Liberals will win.

Raginsheep

HSC
banco55 said:
I do think it's kind of disturbing how apparently people's vote rests to a large extent on how big a bribe they get with taxpayers money. Say what you want about the US but they don't have the same kind of hand out mentality when it comes to government spending.
Given that we pay more tax compared to Americans, I think we expect more from our government and our tax money.

Saying that though, and I might be wrong, but didn't Bush spend billions on tax cut election promises?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well I'm all for what we've just recieved but you could argue:

- They have had 10 years in which they could have done such measures before, this is just a desperate plea.
- A lot of the payments are one off and perhaps you could argue much of what is being given will be taken away next budget if the coalition returns.
- It is inflationary
- Not enough spent on global warming.

Meh
I was impressed too you know. It was certainly better than the past 2 or 3 budgets.

Critics have also pointed out that:
-This was the first budget speech where Peter Costello used the term "Climate change".
-All of a sudden, out of nowhere, education was 'the big winner'.
-For tax cuts, someone earning $25000 gets $2.88 whereas someone earning $30000 gets over $21.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Sparcod said:
-For tax cuts, someone earning $25000 gets $2.88 whereas someone earning $30000 gets over $21.
The reason for doing that is to provide some incentive for individuals who currently earn $25000 to embrace additional hours without being taxed more heavily for doing so. (i.e. students, mothers etc) This is aimed at increasing the productive capacity of the economy...

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
frog12986 said:
The reason for doing that is to provide some incentive for individuals who currently earn $25000 to embrace additional hours without being taxed more heavily for doing so. (i.e. students, mothers etc) This is aimed at increasing the productive capacity of the economy...
Yeh but people who earn under $25000 are most likely part-timers/casuals. As you pointed out, Costello wants more of these people to take up more hours. I think that people like students, mothers, carers etc wouldn't want to increase their work hours because of the other commitments in life they have and they require a balance. I'm not referring to all of them but just most of them.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Sparcod said:
Yeh but people who earn under $25000 are most likely part-timers/casuals. As you pointed out, Costello wants more of these people to take up more hours. I think that people like students, mothers, carers etc wouldn't want to increase their work hours because of the other commitments in life they have and they require a balance. I'm not referring to all of them but just most of them.
Granted, some people may not want to, however the government is at least removing the disincentive to allow the decision to rest with the individual..

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
This is true but it's also (arguably, I'd say strongly for our economy) more important to provide greater incentive for people to work more than it is to provide direct tax cuts to people in the bottom margins, to assist then you'd really want to look at more welfare etc whereby tests can be done so that only those needy get assistance.

*IcePrincess*

HSC
My economics teacher told my whole class to watch the budget on abc yesterday. I think the main problem with it is the performance based payments to schools and ANOTHER enquiry into climate change. Anyway, this afternoon he shoved every single newspaper he could lay his hands on at me and said i needed to know it really well. Does anyone know how important the current government budget is to an economic student in their hsc?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)