2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^LOL!

The coalition just can't seem to get ahead. Kelvin Thompson quits and Rudd got involved in this Brian Burke thing and the ALP actually surges ahead in the poll? Hilarious!

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
I would like to know why there is such an emphasis placed on polls. They seem to arise every two weeks, or on a similar regular basis. Do these people not realise that the election is at least 8 months away?

One of the more comforting things for the government, is that the only way for the ALP to head is down, and if this trend steadies, it will more than likely diminish the liklihood of a protest vote by many.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Polls are bullshit, watch the betting market. The bookies make a living out of predicting the right outcomes, and the percentage of the time they will come true. At the moment it's $1.80 ALP, $1.90 Coalition, and those two have been alternating in that equilibrium for the last couple of months.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I would like to know why there is such an emphasis placed on polls. They seem to arise every two weeks, or on a similar regular basis. Do these people not realise that the election is at least 8 months away?
I'd be slightly worried if I was the government and such poll stories continued, people like to feel that their opinions are shared by many.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Indeed. The idea that polls mean nothing is certainly valid if they're within a certain boundary, I feel, even though they may be in a pretty reliable statistical range. But when you've got the equilibrium that far to one side, well, I think that's worth a little more than what many people here are trying to say. 51/49? Yeah, you can't discount that poll. 61/39? Lol, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that one.

What's better, is that what has worked for Howard previously seems to be doing the polar opposite this time around. He could work against the credibility of Latham in this manner and surge ahead, as he did, but it just ain't working against Rudd.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
withoutaface said:
Polls are bullshit, watch the betting market. The bookies make a living out of predicting the right outcomes, and the percentage of the time they will come true. At the moment it's $1.80 ALP, $1.90 Coalition, and those two have been alternating in that equilibrium for the last couple of months.
Sounds quite true.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
As I've said before, the key two words people must remember at the moment are:

Eight Months...

It's an awfully long time in politics.

I think we need to wait until the focus is fully on the Federal Election, in terms of policy, direction and management, and the prospect of an 'ALP autocracy' nationwide enters the political landscape..

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It's an awfully long time in politics.
Yea but if I was you i'd fear there's a momentum building on the back of these poll numbers, the more popularity you appear to have the more popular you seem to become. I don't think the coalition is out by a long shot, but I do think they've got the toughest fight yet. To be honest I think we've heard alot less of the usual labor rhetoric from rudd and thus (at least to me) the current positioning is basically howard vs neutral opponent, which isn't good at all. Howard needs to start highlighting rudd's policies.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea but if I was you i'd fear there's a momentum building on the back of these poll numbers, the more popularity you appear to have the more popular you seem to become. I don't think the coalition is out by a long shot, but I do think they've got the toughest fight yet. To be honest I think we've heard alot less of the usual labor rhetoric from rudd and thus (at least to me) the current positioning is basically howard vs neutral opponent, which isn't good at all. Howard needs to start highlighting rudd's policies.
Rudd's pressed up against Howard on the economy & security, which is suffocating Howard because there's little room for movement. Meanwhile, Rudd's cashing in on traditional labor strengths in health and education. On top of that, he's making good and popular decisions on Iraq and the environment, while successfully presenting the Coalition as tired, dirty and desporate - which they so are.

8months, Iraq & the drought, for example, will be worse - perfect imagery against this government on an immoral war and a poor response to climate change.
And dont count on Costello tax cuts.

I've changed my mind. I think Australia will throw out a government in good economic times - Menzies v Evatt & Gorton v Whitlam are two examples of good times where the government were saved by the skin of teeth.
viva PRESIDENT RUDD.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Imagine the hecticity (thats probably not a word), if Hicks were to return before the election. Oh my.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Imagine the hecticity (thats probably not a word), if Hicks were to return before the election. Oh my.
Most people don't want him back, if anything it will provoke a backlash against any political force that facilitated such an action -ie. the left.

Nope, its straight to tribuneral and then prison for a few decades for "our david" (or should I say Dawood) .. hope the treasonous bastard rots in there for a good long time, shame we just dont hang people for treason like we used to.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Everyone would need a new cause :D

I wonder if he'll still openly talk about how he wants to kill Jews when he gets back.

ZabZu

HSC
bshoc said:
Most people don't want him back, if anything it will provoke a backlash against any political force that facilitated such an action -ie. the left.

Nope, its straight to tribuneral and then prison for a few decades for "our david" (or should I say Dawood) .. hope the treasonous bastard rots in there for a good long time, shame we just dont hang people for treason like we used to.
Most people want him to get a fair trial as soon as possible and if need be, further gaol (jail) time. Its a disgrace that Hicks has spent 5 years in guantanamo without trial.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
ZabZu said:
Most people want him to get a fair trial as soon as possible and if need be, further gaol (jail) time. Its a disgrace that Hicks has spent 5 years in guantanamo without trial.
Not really, the details of what he did and how are available for all to see if one bothers to look for them.

I agree that 5 years is a long time, but A-Q sympathisers dont exactly make me cry out in revolt.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
bshoc said:
Not really, the details of what he did and how are available for all to see if one bothers to look for them.

I agree that 5 years is a long time, but A-Q sympathisers dont exactly make me cry out in revolt.
He hasn't been convicted of being one yet, and as such there's no basis to detain him for that long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)