• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

white lady

No Motivation Whatsoever
HSC
Re: 2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

Howard has fucked the entire country in too many ways that I'm not goin to even bother mentioning (no offence to any Coalition followers). I going to have to go along with Labour even if they are still trying to tear each other to shreads.

Generator

HSC
N/A

It's the Australian Labor Party, not the Australian Labour Party.

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

Yet what alternatives does Labor provide that will "unfuck" us?
Beazley yaps on about aboloishing AWA's, but thus far has not provided a suitable alternative. Would we revert to the system before, or is he going to develop a better system? He's too ambiguous and whiney to be the leader of this country.

I don't know what you mean by "fucked" though, I suppose you don't care to elaborate.

otay

HSC

Can't stand Howard. Such a conniving little cunt. Beazly, meh I wont say he's better than Howard, just that he's not as bad. That's the problem with all these pollies. All a bunch of brown noses to get the votes and half the time they don't even believe in their policies (Beazley). That or their policies suck (Howard). When are we gonna produce a poltician with a bit of Charisma and looking to lead the country towards the future, not stalwart it with typically conservative views. I'm gonna be voting for some independant (any good ones in the Cook area? j'ai doubt). When's Steve Waugh gonna run as independant already. I can actually trust what he says and knows that he believes what he says. Hell Kevin Rudd seems like a decent bloke even. Fat Kim is a joke. And if there was a liberal who's policies I agreed with and who I feel I can trust, I'd vote for them. What about Guus?

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC

im gonna vote labor...im not sure why...well besides the fact that i dont like howard..but if the elections are this year...i have to register to vote...:(

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

otay said:
When's Steve Waugh gonna run as independant already. I can actually trust what he says and knows that he believes what he says.
It's speculated that Waugh will run for Labor, not as an Independent.
Maxine McKew was also pondering going Labor in W.Sydney, but couldnt stand the idea of living in Liverpool.
Before Eddie took the top job at Nine, he was also rumoured to be interested in an easy Labor Melbourne seat.
I wouldnt be surprised if Russel Crowe has political ambitions (nay presidential?), to be achieved with a loyal, militant group of true believers

Optophobia

HSC

I'm not voting for Labor, simply because Beazely is their leader. That, and they are split straight down the middle and are completely disorganised, and then theres..........

It's all been said.
Captain Gh3y said:
Labor will give anyone a run in their safe seats.
Of all the times i've watched parliament, i don't think i've ever seen garrets face on the television. Maybe they chucked him right up the back because they know this gab is about as talented as his arse. lol, remnants of a failed coup that is. Stupid Latham.

Last edited:
HSC

What?
26 votes to 19, labors way?

Why the hell would anyone vote for Labor? I don't know if this is representative of the high immigrant base that this forum has, but only a lunatic would vote for Labor.

poopoohead

HSC

Ill vote for anyone but john howard

Probably Labor- although i think id prefer Rudd over Beazley

I can't believe any one voted for Johnny in the first place

"John Howard is good for our economy" This statement says it all- most Australians really do not give damn about what is happening in the world- just care about money and their investment properties.

hey, who cares that 20 people died in Iraq today? They're only muslims- they're all terrorists anyway. The Australian government is with the U.S as one of the lowest donators of aid to developing nations- in terms of GDP. This is our government- our so called 'christian' government.

i would never vote for him- probably never vote liberal. I coudn't vote for someone who talks like he's got a coffee addicted cat stuck down his throat- someone who is in love with good ol' george over in the States, perhaps one of the most mentally challenged people ive ever seen.

Funny George Bush quotes:
“It's a time of sorrow and sadness when we lose a loss of life.”

“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”

* sincerest apologies for all those liberal scum who have been offended by my comments- no harm intended

ZabZu

HSC

Iron said:
It's speculated that Waugh will run for Labor, not as an Independent.
I heard that when Mark Latham tried to get Waugh to run, Waugh replied that he had no political leanings towards either Labor or Liberal.

The problem with the policies of both the major political parties is that their policies are determined by interest groups. The Liberals are in bed with big business. Labor is dominated by the unions, obviously the unions would play a big role in labor with it being a blue collar party but its time to distance slightly away from the traditional supporters, its for the best interest of the country.

Now, Captain� Obvious, why would i vote labor.
1. IR - people need job security and should be compensated for working unsociable hours
2. Republic - Howard is a monarchist
3. Aborigines - Howard refuses to say sorry, fails to acknowledge the crimes against them and makes it harder for them to claim native title
4. Education - the govt doesnt fund universities anymore, forcing unis to raise HECS fees, making a tertiary education unfordable for many (hence lower enrolments), plus they dont put enough money in public schools
5. Health - more expensive under this govt. Essential operations should be free or heavily subsidised
6. Foreign policy - too close to US, shouldnt have gone to Iraq
7. Immigration - we should process people onshore, children should not be locked up.

The economy can still remain strong, interest rates can still remain low and unemployment can stay low if the ALP acts responsibly and uses good policy.

7th Sign

HSC

only thing beazley could win would be a spot on a weight wotchers ad...

poopoohead

HSC

i think you spelt watchers wrong

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

ZabZu said:
Labor is dominated by the unions, obviously the unions would play a big role in labor with it being a blue collar party but its time to distance slightly away from the traditional supporters, its for the best interest of the country.
Quite right. They're actually held captive by the Unions.
Unions make up 50% of the delegates to the National Conference, and have 50% say in who's preselected to a seat (Crean knocked it down from 60. Latham reckons he wanted to knock it down to 13 - the percentage of union members in the workforce).
The Unions just use Federal Labor as a lucrative exit to their long and uneventful careers, letting the occasional non-union fellow, like Whitlam, in. Consequently, the party has become professional (white-bread pollys who lack starch of life experience)as the factions have hardened into employment mechanisms.
Changing this comes at the price of personal oblivion.
The blue collar dont really exist anymore, or at least have already abandoned Labor/one nation post-Keating.
The politics of debt is the rage now -> These foolish slaves only vote Coalition for their personal survival which their "everything now" philosophy has jepordised. Labor needs to convince the punters (the 10-20% who care the least but matter the most) that they can still manage the economy like the did during the Hawke/Keating years. Do that, and they win government.
Though I dont think they deserve it, id still vote Labor as it's in my economic interest as a student.

Last edited:

Phyuk_Yiu

http://co.bos.error2-1337
HSC

Neither, Labor would do the same shit the coalition is doing right now.
My solution: Get wealthy enough to pay off politicians.

Generator

HSC
N/A

*bump*

Anyone else?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

Any doubts I had about voting Labor have been removed by reading the current issue of The Monthly's interview with Greg Combet (head of the ACTU, closely connected to the ALP). His view of IR policy and economic policy generally is very close to mine, and certainly IR needs to be changed from the current WorkChoices shambles.

Also, more needs to be spent at a federal level on tertiary education and health, which is more a Labor policy than a Coalition one. (Where the money is going to come from is an issue, but there is a large budget surplus to be starting with, so losing a couple of billion from that should not generally be a problem. Bear in mind that I'm not an economist, though, so it's entirely possible that that would throw Australia into unimaginable chaos. But I doubt it.)

Also, I'm fervently opposed to the breakdown of federalism espoused by Abbott and Costello. Central governments are all very well when they provide a clear benefit, but I don't think they do. A+C's centralism policy is more to do with posturing for COAG meetings than actual constitutional thought, especially since any major change would require either the cooperation of the states or a referendum passing, neither of which are at all likely.

Howard will go in the next few years, possibly sooner now that we've got this leadership issue with Costello blowing up, and I certainly wouldn't want to see any of the current Cabinet in the Lodge. Downer would never get the leadership after his disastrous stint at the helm in 1994, Nelson is an idiot and the idea of Abbott becoming PM fills me with horror. Costello is smarmy and irritating, and I don't like his federalism ideas as noted above. Actually, I think Bronwyn Bishop would be good, but she's past her time by now. Turnbull is a possibility, but there's still a fair while until he's PM material.

While Beazley could do with better PR, I quite like him, and I don't think he's as bad as people make out. There's a lot of talent on Labor's front bench (Conroy, Gillard, Roxon, Rudd, Swan, etc.) and I think they should have a go in the Cabinet. Overall, therefore, a vote for Labor, I remain hopeful that they might scrape through, Dems or Labor in the Senate and the Coalition almost certainly to lose its majority.

</incoherent, overlong party political broadcast>

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

Captain� Obvious said:
What?
26 votes to 19, labors way?

Why the hell would anyone vote for Labor? I don't know if this is representative of the high immigrant base that this forum has, but only a lunatic would vote for Labor.
valid point about the forum, but your intentions are far from good.

I'll point out that quite a number of the "immigrant" base on bos are most probably citizens. Just pointing that out very lightly.

Care to back up your opinion with specifics?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Mathmite:

Students, People of non-white ethnicity and generally poorer people are the traditional labor voters. Last election there was also a huge majority on this forum supporting labor, with the coalition having almost as few votes as the greens.

At the moment I am thinking about voting labor... but meh... I'm really unsatisfied with both parties at the moment. I am unsure of exactly where I stand and I don't think there is a party that represents my interests. If the election was held tomorrow I would simply waste my vote by writing 'ODOYLE RULES!'.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

It's a lesser of two horrible evils for me, but I actually haven't decided.

Although my seat is Liberal-held by about 17% anyway. (I don't think Bronny will be going anywhere until someone plows a wooden stake into her heart.)

Iron said:
Maxine McKew was also pondering going Labor in W.Sydney, but couldnt stand the idea of living in Liverpool.
Haha how amusing

Wendy Harmer was thinking of running for my local state seat, thank god she decided against it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)