2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
Yes but it WILL be the 17th. All the dates have been announced:

Prorogation of Parliament: 15 October
Dissolution of House of Representatives: 17 October
Issue of electoral writs: 17 October
Close of rolls: 22 October
Close of nominations: 1 November
Election: 24 November
Where'd you get those dates?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
Howard announced them at the start of his press conference.
oh lol, wasn't listening

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
What the hell is with all the banging noises on the ABC video stream? Are their sound people really that incompetent?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Grand motherhood, and dare I say Presidential, statements from Mr Rudd.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
i suspect he'll go for a swim in the sea sometime during when he's PM never to be seen again except when he surfaces as Chairman Rudd of China.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
The ALP is bringing out the 'clever politican' line again. I thought they'd jettisoned that, but I've heard in twice in two days now.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
That was good. At first I thought he was a little stalled, but I think the new leadership theme of fresh ideas and plans for the future really penetrated. He's a clever bugger Rudd, and I think he has just secured all his flanks

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Peter Hartcher:
John Howard is apparently not expecting to turn around his dreadful poll numbers with a positive program to attract voters to the Coalition.

In his opening salvo of the 2007 election campaign, he has offered only the reassurance of a status-quo future with some incremental progress.

He has offered Australia no grand visions or great promises. His two positive offerings were a lower unemployment rate - from today's 4.2 per cent to something "with a 3 in front of it" - and a better sharing of the benefits of strong economic growth.

So how does he expect to reverse Labor's crushing 14 percentage-point lead in the two-party share of the vote?

On the face of it, he can be relying only on a negative program to drive voters away from Labor. To move that many voters, he will need a blitzkrieg of negativity.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Oh I hope Howard loses his seat. It would such a fantastic bookend to his career, and a needy lesson for politicians in the future - Don't overstay your welcome!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Who was it that was bitching about the Coalition conspiracy to stop young people enrolling to vote by closing the rolls without notice?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah i didnt quite buy it either

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
'Go for growth'? That's a slogan?

Edit: Hopefully Labor will get its advertising on more than it did last time. I saw exactly two advertisements from them throughout the whole campaign.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Actually, it looks like Labor's recut 'Broken trust on interest rates' here since it aired a couple of months back, so it's presumably going to get another run.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
GO LIBERALS!!

We already have Labor for our states, we don't need bogan unions running our country and a red hair dyke as a deputy prime minister. :) :)

Support my sig ppl!! :)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=305484

Prime Minister John Howard wants to debate Labor leader Kevin Rudd just one week into the election campaign.

He is proposing the live audience debate take place in the Great Hall of Parliament House next Sunday, moderated by Sky News' political editor David Speers.

In a letter to ALP national secretary Tim Gartrell, Liberal Party federal director Brian Loughnane queried Mr Rudd's availability for the debate and set out the terms under which it would occur.

A panel of five senior journalists, chosen by both parties and the National Press Club, would take part but there was no indication audience participation would be involved.
[...]

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
This format is actually a bit more dynamic than last election's. This time they can question each other and everything, whereas last time it was just the nation's most boring journalists asking them questions turn by turn.

But I get the feeling that the parties try to make them as boring as possible, so that no one watches them. (Hence the banning of the worm, which would actually make things fun.) They only still exist because they're traditional, really. The parties would probably love to get rid of them altogether, because they're a part of the campaign that they can't stage-manage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)