• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (2 Viewers)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Federal Labor has done a deal with the Greens to shore up preferences in this month's election.

Labor will direct preferences to the Greens in the Senate, while the Greens will preference the ALP in key House of Representative seats everywhere except Tasmania.

And Labor plans to put One Nation, the Citizens Electoral Council or Pauline Hanson last on all ballot papers in all seats.

The Australian Greens say their preferences in the Senate will be directed to Labor in a bid to change the balance of power.

Greens leader Bob Brown says the party will first direct preferences to like-minded smaller parties including the Democrats and What Women Want, and then they will be directed to Labor.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/03/2080917.htm?section=justin

HSC
Triangulum said:
Maybe not to stand for parliament? I have no idea. AFAIK women didn't have the right to vote in all states until 1907.
New Zealand was the first country to give women the vote in national elections - but South Australia gave women suffrage in state elections before this.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Mystery solved. Wikipedia:
In 1901 women from both South and Western Australia voted in the 1901 federal election.

On June 12, 1902 the Commonwealth Franchise Act came into effect, granting most Australian women the right to vote and stand in Commonwealth elections.
So to start with, women were enfranchised for federal elections if their state so legislated, but in 1902 the federal government created a uniform system.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Galaxy poll in tomorrow's Telegraph will show McKew leading in Bennelong 52-48 from primaries 47-46.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
<_<
>_>
<_<

How'd you get a hold of that information? Are you in with the election crowd?
abc.net.au/news

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Yeah, the primaries were on Lateline yesterday and the 2PP was on the ABC site this afternoon. But as Galaxy's electorate polls tend to be fairly small samples, 52-48 is probably within the margin of error. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

RIP Peter Andren. He seemed like a good guy.

K

katie_tully

It is unfortunate actually as Parkes was being amalgamated into Calare this year, and he is one of the few who has served his seat well.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
He spoke to our pols class last year. Top bloke, very sensible, ridiculously decent. I agree with Brown's comments that he was what all politicians should aspire to be.
Shockingly cruel fate

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Senate preferences. Highlights:
-Coalition's top preference is the CDP. The coalition is rapidly burning the extremely few remaining bridges to my vote.
-If you needed any more proof that Family First are raging hypocrites, here it is! After their squealing and whining about Labor preferencing the 'extreme' Greens, FF has preferenced well-known moderate parties Pauline and One Nation above the Coalition and Labor. Ugh.
-Senator On-Line has scored a bit of a coup, getting Labor's prefs only behind the Greens and Climate Change Coalition.
-Labor preferenced Shooters, who put Labor almost last, well above the Democrats. Why?

Edit: Rafy beat me to it. But I added value to the link by including commentary. So I win.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
Mr Howard announced a roads plan including PROPER filtration of the Lane Cove Tunnel (something the morose State Labor government refuses to do) so I'm firmly locked in Liberal now.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
jb_nc said:
Mr Howard announced a roads plan including PROPER filtration of the Lane Cove Tunnel (something the morose State Labor government refuses to do) so I'm firmly locked in Liberal now.
What electorate are you in, out of interest?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Interesting analysis of NSW senate prefs:
two minor parties which clothe themselves in sanctimony have been playing the lowest political games imaginable. The first culprit is Family First, which has cut deals with the Liberty and Democracy Party (whose policies include “re-legalisation of recreational marijuana use by adults”) and Pauline Hanson’s new party (representing a strain of right-wing politics from which Family First has always been very keen to distance itself), both of which have been placed higher than Family First’s natural philosophical ally, Fred Nile’s Christian Democratic Party.

The other is the Climate Change Coalition, which has put the Fishing Party higher than any other party except the Democrats and What Women Want. One wonders how those taken in by the Climate Change Coalition brand name would feel if they knew they were voting against the extension of marine parks. There is a very real chance they will end up finding out the hard way – the Fishing Party has been tightly preferenced by a range of right-wing micro parties as well as Family First, which also has them ahead of the CDP. When all these votes are added together, it’s entirely possible that the Greens will be overtaken by the Fishing Party’s Garth Bridge. Throw a Coalition surplus into the mix, and the Fishing Party could very well win a seat that would otherwise have gone to the Greens. I hope Patrice Newell has a good time explaining that one to her fellow travellers on the arts-luvvie cocktail party circuit. And I say all that before I’ve even gotten around to considering the situation in Queensland, where the Climate Change Coalition has put Pauline Hanson ahead of Labor.
http://www.pollbludger.com/676

K

katie_tully

I just read...
"We are seeing unprecedented levels of wealth, the stockmarket has hit record highs and, at the top end of the salary range, wages are still very solid.

"Despite the interest rate rises, most people feel better off now than they did five years ago and, at the high end, people really like to spend."
They'd wanna be. That's the only way I can justify spending $50 on a cup of luwak poo coffee.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/04/2081117.htm?section=justin
Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd says a Labor government would spend over $500 million to create tax breaks to help first homebuyers save for a deposit on their new home.

Labor says the move should create between $3 billion and $4 billion in extra savings for first homebuyers over three years.

Mr Rudd will announce the detail of the plan later today, but he has told Channel Nine that the first homebuyer saver accounts would have tax arrangements similar to those currently in place for superannuation.

atreus

HSC
housing is becoming a big focus for rudd. i think i heard that he was announcing a $150m plan for the homeless today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)