2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (2 Viewers)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

hazaar

Greenie
HSC
Re: 2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

Whenever i hear, see, think of john howard i feel sick.
To hear him speak of putting 200 million dollars into research for NEW cleaner energy sources whilst he pumps billions of dollars into our defence budget is completely infuriating.
For one we already have green sources of energy i.e wind, solar, hydroelectric that don't get nearly enough funding and could practically and efficiently provide the country with a large percent of its energy needs NOW if considered seriously by the government and given proper funding. John Howard has finally woken up to what i believe will be the major election winning issue: The environment/global warming.
Why not put say 2 billion of our supposed 'surplus' into practical initiatives that will help ease the dire situation we are in now. What a difference it would make!

You say that things are 'good' now, people are happy with their nice little share portfolios, superannuation, the economy, economy, economy, bla, bla, bloody blaa!?!

Why don't people wake up to the fact that money isn't everything and that you can live a fulfiling, happy life without the latest gizmos, gadgets or whatver fulfils your desire.

The fact is that, you're right things do appear to be good now. But if the government mainatins its current policy of not ratifying the kyoto protocol and pumping billions of dollars into coal and oil for short term economic reward, the future of the environment and our lives as they exist will be under threat.
Actually what am i saying.....IT's happening RIGHT NOW. DROUGHT, UNPREDICTABLE WEATHER, WATER SHORTAGES...climate change is reality, not some absurd greeny-leftwing-bias-against-big-business-policy. And what are we doing, putting even more money into farming already desolate and infertile land. Money won't fix the drought, money won't magically bring the land back to life.
Plant MORE trees, live a simpler life, and then maybe, just maybe we'll have a brighter future.
Carbon is the biggest polluter, and intiatives such as the introduction of a carbon trading scheme would do a world of good foor the environent, people, future generations, and wait for it, wait for it...THE ECONOMY STUPID!

I believe these issues i've talked about above will be election turners. Count how many times you hear climate change in one day. The issue is inevitably on the rise and i just hope to god that people are intelligent enough to wake up to the facts and do something worth while for the environment.

Yet alas, australian people repeatedly find ways to disappoint me. Wake up! It's your future, THIS IS THE REALITY!

I'll be voting for the greens (not that it will make a load of difference in my seat of Wentworth) and i hope to god we get a change in government.
No matter what party, LABOR, LIBERAL, GREENS, FAMILY FIRST, ONE NATION, THE FISHING PARTY, if they were you're government for 10 years, don't you think you'd want change. Political change is healthy, and australia needs it now.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

Wentworth is currently a marginal Liberal seat, and many people are discontent on Malcolm Turnbull's rant on interest rates not affecting anybody when I know old Jewish people below the poverty line in flats in Bondi will not be too happy about this rhetoric.

Labor may be in with a chance, the boundaries have been changed to include Darlinghurst and Kings Cross so who knows what will happen?

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

John Murphy and Tony Burke should be kicked too, they are homophobic, Muslim loving, abortion opposing, Catholic bible bashers are turning the Labor Party back to the dark days of Arthur Calwell

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

It bothers me that people can so confidently attribute the drought, water shortages, an itchy arse... to the "climate change" bogey man. As if, somehow signing the Kyoto protocol, whose targets we're already below unlike dozens of other nations that did sign it, would appease the Green Gods and have them open the heavens with the rain we need.

Australia was a dry continent before the first top-hatted capitalist set fire to the first lump of sweet brown coal.

Climate change will not be an election turning issue; in Australia, historically, the election deciders are unemployment, interest rates and inflation (if 2/3 get worse, the government goes).

Last edited:

Sandez

Hay Guys
HSC

Might I just interject at this point that I hope Beazley DOESN'T win!

I really really don't like the stupid fat prick.

spell check

HSC

i doubt he's stupid

he was a rhodes scholar

Sandez

Hay Guys
HSC

That may be so, but I don't like him one bit.

He's like the embodiment of the American Democracts (specifically Hillary Clinton) in Australia- useless, and someone who only criticises shit.

I also have an amusing Beazley anecdote I may share later.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC

i don't understand why everyone hates Beazley!
he actually came very close to winning government in 2001, and if it hadn't have been for the asylum seekers/christmas island debacle whereby support for howard was galvanized through inflammatory politicking/rhetoric, he would have won!

ALP 5,427,569 ( 48.97%)

Coalition 5,655,791 ( 51.03%)

(grr i wish there was no such thing as preferences and coalitions! haha)

People are very quick to bag Kim Beazley, but most of the criticisms are completely unfounded and not very well-reasoned. It's easy to do so to an opposition party, particularly if they haven't been in power for an age (which is what it feels like). But the fact is nothing much, bar criticising the government's policies, can be done, because YOUR ARE IN OPPOSITION!

Most of the criticisms of beazley which are posted on BOS are particularly superficial, i.e dealing with his weight 'yeh i don't like him coz he's fat' (which can be said to such an extent anymore becoz he's actually dropepd alot kilos) or are completely without argument 'yeh i just don't like him.'

I'm not saying he's perfect, he has his weaknesses, but there are some very good things about him. Howard is the same (although i would tend to err on the side of not having many good things) :)

If people are going to criticise any politician, make sure you give evidence and reason for your view. That's all i wanted to say.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC

Hey why can't you propose alternatives if you are in opposition?
Kim Beazley is tired and repetitive. He is about as refreshing as a warm urine shower from transexuals after you beat one of them when you find out he/she still has a penis. He hasn't been able to capitalise on the government's further conservative actions since they got control of the Senate. It's like they fed him the election and he vomited it back at them with his relative indifference.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC

i actually think he has raised awareness of the increasing conservatism of the government since they took conrtol of the senate.

it's just that it's 'cool' not to like him.

(Gillard for pm 2010)

hazaar

Greenie
HSC

......also if the media don't look upon him in a good light (which they don't), the same sentiment infects the bewildered herd.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC

I think he's way too conservative, if he is elected he will just turn out like a watered down Howard. Plus he will be a populist, everyone seems to have forgotten the Keating days when he ruled the country on things other than the back of opinion polls.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC

ihavenothing said:
I think he's way too conservative, if he is elected he will just turn out like a watered down Howard. Plus he will be a populist, everyone seems to have forgotten the Keating days when he ruled the country on things other than the back of opinion polls.
you are right....but anything other than what we've got now will be good thankyou very much :)

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC

ihavenothing said:
But that's why Keating lost, he was too divisive and he championed his own vision without regard for its popular support. The electorate doesn't want great men like Keating.

hazaar

Greenie
HSC

hahaha...by the by....does anyone find it slightly ironic that in the poll results table labor is represented by blue and liberal by red.........

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC

Not Really..

And sorry to put a damper on your bleak hopes, but Morris Iemma has a greater chance of becoming Prime Minister than Julia Gillard..:rofl:

Beazley is much like the much maligned Peter Debnam in NSW. He's repetitive, and overuses cliche's and the like. He presents no real alternatives, and merely takes a populist approach to issues.

The issue of housing affordbility (as a proportion of incom) that the ALP has been harping on about this week is a fallout from the economic reforms of the 1980's. The deregulation of the banking sector increased the ability of exorbitant loans to be acquired, and when such a situation occurs in conjuction with relatively low interest rates, the result is inflated and overpriced housing, and individuals living extensively beyond their means..

The predicament that has arisen is a mere consequence of the forces of supply and demand in a market that has experienced low interest rates and extensive borrowing abilities...too often, conspicuous consumption and 'keeping up with the Jones' overtakes common sense..

Last edited:

hazaar

Greenie
HSC

frog12986 said:
Not Really..
He merely takes a populist approach to issues.
and howard doesn't?

hazaar

Greenie
HSC

oh looky looky looky who's leading in the poll finally, albeit marginally....
yay!

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC

hazaar said:
and howard doesn't?
You've got to be kidding?

Let me see.. GST, VSU, Workchoices, Kyoto, Iraq...

Populist decisions? I think not..

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC

frog12986 said:
You've got to be kidding?

Let me see.. GST, VSU, Workchoices, Kyoto, Iraq...

Populist decisions? I think not..
Subsidised LPG conversions, massive tax cuts, migration bills...

oh, and the Prime Minister on Cronulla- "I would never condemn people for being proud of the Australian flag".

The PM is populist when necessary, often to allay concerns over less-popular policies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)