2007 Mtp Forum (1 Viewer)

bloomers

HSC
hey guys!

im doing a cocktail dress that is REALLY HARD TO DESCRIBE so i wont even bother.

but okay, my teacher used to be a marker and is very informative on such matters so

1) with regards to textyle:
your product HAS to have full marks. they mark it out of 25, with five parts, each out of five (if you get me). they are
- that its finished (hint: MAKE SURE YOU FINISH. ITS AN EASY 5 MARKS)
- degree of difficulty
- evidence of creativity/innovation
- that its well made
- that it FITS INTO THE FOCUS AREA IT IS MADE FOR (trust me, its harder than you think)
i might be a little confused but im PRETTY SURE thats it.
so for textyle, they get allll of the ones in the state that got full marks, then choose a selection that cover all focus areas and provide a wide range of ideas and such.

2) visual design development: im not completely sure but my teacher always tells us to do four rough sketches then a final design.

hope this helps! good luck everyone!

HSC
Hi 'bloomers'!
Thanks for that help! It really did enlighten me.
About the focus area critera being hard, I think I'd have to disagree with you on that one. It doesn't seem to be hard. Like, if your making a bag - wow - then, like non-apparel all the way!
I'm making a really abstract, textile wearable textile art, and I'm pretty sure that would be easily catagorised as a textile art.

R

roseymariee!

wow everyone's ideas are awesome! I really need to get cracking on my portfolio..
we should post pics of our progress throughout the year.. i'd post some now, but i don't have anything to take a pic of. lol

HSC
roseymariee! said:
wow everyone's ideas are awesome! I really need to get cracking on my portfolio..
we should post pics of our progress throughout the year.. i'd post some now, but i don't have anything to take a pic of. lol
YES! That would be great!
I have 1/8th of toile done! Fantastic to post. LOL.

Portfolio can die.

Last edited:

meomeo

HSC
;-; and I had my keyboard on caps lock by mistake.

HSC
WOW! Congrats!

Do you do Textiles? Because you would know!
MTP is Major Textiles Project.
A combination of a practical work and a theory portfolio which both combine to create one wonderful piece of 50/100 for the HSC.
Wonderful times lie ahead.

meomeo

HSC
: D no, I don't do textiles : D that's why I asked.

Check me out, I'm not a new member!

: D

What other subjects are you studying?

meomeo

HSC
Carpet cleaning, why, yes please : D

~comments on ads~
< <;;;

bloomers

HSC
hahaha yes i suppose i did exaggerate a bit much
but just a hint for some people

IF YOU ARE MAKING AN APPAREL ITEM, MAKE SURE IT CAN BE WASHED AND WORN AND IT HAS AN OPENING SO IT IS POSSIBLE TO PUT ON.
my *very informative* textile teacher does not stress this enough as apparently every year people create apparel garments that are not possible to be worn because its impossible to get on or something. and this apparently marks you down in saying that it is apparel. y'know?

anyway, just thought id explain myself.

e.m.m.y..l.o.u.

HSC
bloomers you are SO lucky to have such an excellent teacher. i envy you!!! but thanks for all the info you have shared! much appreciated.
it would be great to pics of people's progress with both product and portfolio.
and to expand on my project (for rubificticious): the idea of my costume is to emphasise her human qualities a bit more, so the costume is not like 'hi im a feather duster' as such, but not like 'hi im a human' either. if that makes any sense... so yah, im doing a corset with like lace and such and then im making a french maid style apron and feathered skirt. and i am planning to use black and white ostrich feathers so it like a feather duster. the feathers are pretty sweet. and im making a little black and white fascinator also, but only little cuz i don't want it to draw too much attention...
with visual design development (anna-banana) i think it is up to you how many you do. i did about 7 sketches and then one final design. other people in my class did anywhere between 4 and 7. you should have at least 4 though i think. good luck with it!!

HSC
Me?
I'm doing SOR II, Advanced English, Extension English, General Maths, Chemistry and Textiles.
What about everyone else?

Yea, bloomers. I get where you teacher is coming from in the apparel section. I can just imagine, and apparel work which isn't suited to be apparel!

That idea sounds really great e.m.m.y..l.o.u.. Very creative, and yes, the feathers should be great.

I was also wondering the age of everyone here. Like, I just turned 17. As for me, I won't be 18 this year. Damn.

Also, what are other people in your classes doing? I know we have quite a variety of things. No one is doing furnishings due to the appalling furnishings assessment we all had to do in Year 10. No one is doing non-apparel either. There aren’t a lot of people doing apparel, too. But we do have a great selection of ideas. I'm the only one doing a Textile Art in my class.

My MTP is a contemporary representation of the sacred feminine.

One of my best friends is making a sort of haute couture, black and white gown embellished with flowers, with lost of ruffles and a corset section at the top. The other is doing a fairy-like, Renaissance inspired wedding dress, dyed slightly and made of white and pastel flowing fabrics with feathers and appliqué and embroidery.

The other people in my class are making:
an Irish Dancing costume;
a dyed colourful, flowing dress embellished with coloured embroidered butterflies;
a pastel pink/purple fantasy costume, made up of a corset and petticoat, beaded and appliquéd with flowers;
a contemporary, dyed, embroidered kimono;
a pink/peach Renaissance style costume gown;
a fantasy costume;
a black, beaded, feathered tutu inspired by Swan Lake; a dress;
an apparel dress;
a black and pink, contemporary kimono;
and an apparel bubble dress.

We have 14 girls in our class.

It would be great to hear of any other ideas which you may know people are doing in your class.

I’d also be interested to know if there are any guys doing Textiles and what they are doing. They’re not very common, I can tell you that!

Amy53

HSC
hi,
it has been good to read all your ideas and the stages and questions you have..i have many of the same. i do my textiles course by correspondence. at my school there is only myself and one other girl doing textiles this year..it does get hard but it is also good because we have set times that we have to have a progress mark done as part of our assessment. i am doing a costume!!! it is like a dress that is to be worn on the red carpet or somethng similar. and my friend is doing a costume that is like that off dancing with the stars. all your ideas sound so good..
alos for my HSC i am doing Advanced english + extension 1 English, biology, general maths,business studies.
Catcha L8er

HSC
Correspondence? WOW... that must suck big time.
Yeah... my friend is doing much of the same, like a red carpet gown. And it's funny because this friend was initially going to do a dancing costume like off 'Dancing with the Stars'.
Your idea sounds cool, too. I love those outrageous gowns.

Oh, yeah... and in relation to I'm not sure who, but if you are doing a Textile Art, doesn't it need to have a lot of features and really detailed because it's meant to be admired for its looks? I can understand with the whole going overboard thing, but don't Textile Arts need to be 'over-the-top' as such?

What about everyone posts what colours their works are going to be in order of majority wise? Mine is baby blue, white and gold.

Amy53

HSC
hi.. my major work is like.um it is hard to describe but it is kinda a peacock green, Cyan, turquoise type colour..and my friends is purple and yellow.

e.m.m.y..l.o.u.

HSC
my subjects are: standard english (i dropped from advanced this year - english is the devil's work i think), maths, ext. maths, IPT (computing), business studies and textiles.

my costume is made up of gold, white and black. the colour weighting is fairly equal i would say.

other people in my class' projects:
- indian inspired quilt
- jungle inspired wall hanging
- a moulin rouge cross chinese theatre costume
- tutu
- another girl is making a dress in which she is fusing fabrics. she has a book with all these fusion techniques which she is going to apply. it might be textile arts i think? her samples look really cool.
- another is making 3 backpacks. they are different animals. if her fantastic drawings are anything to go by, they will be awesome.
- and im not at all sure what the last member of the class is making. i know india was part of her inspiration. i think she may be doing a wall hanging? but i couldnt say for sure... she tends to stick to mostly stick to herself.

and wow amy53. textiles by correspondance! that must be tough.

HSC
Cool e.m.m.y..l.o.u.! Great sounding ideas!
So from that I figure you have 8 people in your textiles class? I seem to have the most, which is to my peril. It's really hard with the teacher struggling with the attention of 14 girls. They should have made a second class, but, as our other HSC Textiles teacher went and still is on maternity leave, we were and are basically doomed.

And e.m.m.y..l.o.u.! My goodness you smart cookie! 3U Maths! Are you insane! I have real respect for anyone who can do maths at such a level! In my opinion, English is the angel child, and Maths is the devil's work! Goodness me! Hats off to you! And, I was to do something computing too, but I had a clash and had to pick up Biology instead. But that's gone now! And yes, our school is Catholic, and we have to do Religion. If not, I swear I wouldn't be doing it.

And is no one sharing their ages? I feel alone!

You know, I really can't wait to start my actual MTP and finish it! I know it's early days, but I really can't wait!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)