2007 Paper 1 english practice (1 Viewer)

porquoispas

HSC
Ok so the maths forum has like a game thingy so i thought why shouldn't we the englishy people have one..

Anyway so here's the link to the 2007 paper- Just post up your answers if you want to have a go at any of the questions..

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/exam-papers-2007/pdf_doc/english-s&a-p1_07.pdf

and here are the questions

Question 1 (continued)

Text one — Display Poster

(a)
What has J.T. Wilson achieved through his travels?
(b)
How does the visual image build upon the ideas expressed in the written text of the display poster?

Text two — Feature Article

(c) Analyse the writer’s use of contrast in this feature article.

Text three — Nonfiction Prose Extract
(d)
Identify the attitude towards journeys conveyed in, ‘the horizon seemed the most persuasive home’ (lines 3–4).
(e)
Explain what Rothwell comes to realise about his journey.
Texts one, two and three — Display Poster, Feature Article and Nonfiction Prose Extract
(f) Texts one, two and three offer perspectives on the journeys of these writers. Compare the perspectives offered in TWO of these texts.

Go for it guys

diametric

HSC
Hell, Imma do this since I actually planned to do it sometime today or tomorrow.
Well, since I'm typing (i.e WAYYY faster than writing), no point timing myself.
Hope this helps anyone.

Text one-
a. J.T. Wilson has achieved "immense success" through his travels, busking stories on the streets of Sydney.

b. The written text states that J.T. Wilson "is a familiar sight on streets... in Sydney" and that he "sells his stories on the street". The visual image builds upon these ideas by displaying an individual, presumably Wilson, upon the street, sitting behind a mini-stall advertising his stories for sale. "All written in Newtown" on the booth backs up the notion of "familiar sight.. in Sydney" and the blurry passing bus in the background backs up the commonality of "familiar sight" as expressed in the text.

Text two-
c. The writer effectively utilises contrast to convey her opinions about the journey. Brooks' juxtaposes the rural with the urban as she states, "Unfurling oak leaves hide the black slash of electric wires" and goes onto say, "And that's helpful", suggestive of the rural nature of the writer's journey. The contrast of the dates in the third paragraph, "1999... 1666" support the idea of escaping to the past which is expressed by the use of alliteration in the headline, "Timeless Tact ... Time Traveller". This suggests that the journey is involved with the rustic feel of rural areas. The use of first person pronouns in the composer's description of her experience of living in "the dense urban tangles of Sydney, New York, Cairo and London" in which she was "much the same in all of them" invites the reader to reflect on her opinions. This is contrasted against the writer's description of the country, in which she was enlightened, as presented by the employment of alliteration, "It took village to teach me to tolerance and a measure of tact." The composer's use of contrast successfully enables her to present the availing nature of living in a rural area as opposed to an urban area.

I'll do the rest in a bit.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)