2007 Poets (1 Viewer)

tillytilly

HSC
Uh yeah, I'm just starting Extension 2, poetry is the way to go for me. I haven't really been able to narrow down a theme or concept yet, I'm still kind of casting around for ideas.

Who else is on the poetry wagon for the next HSC?

shimmy&shine

HSC
If you need any help, I'll be happy to. Though then you'll be wondering what my marks were, just as much as i am, to see if I'm any good. lol. well we'll see.

btw, i think it'll be good to go through past threads on ee2 poetry, to see the whole process as i and others have lived through it.

good luck for year 12. it's the craziest, and best year. enjoy it. :)

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Looks like we've got some more poets. Hoorah! Like Shimmy said, have a look through some of the threads from previous years and if you still have questions, there are plenty of people here who are more than happy to help you out. Best of luck and have fun!

tillytilly

HSC
Thanks guys : ) I've had a bit of a look through this year's Poetry stuff, it looks like it's gunna be a fun/stressful/challenging/rewarding time. I kind of need to put it all together somehow though, I'd like to incorporate an existing work or something, not with the content but even just a structural thing to kind of add another dimension into it, y'know?

Shimmy&shine I read that you did Plath this year, did you find that that made it easier to hold everything together?

dreamer7

HSC
Gah! I've only been in the class for a month and already the major work is taking over my life. Every spare moment I find myself thinking, "would this be a good idea?", "what if I change it to this?"

It's quite frustrating because my concept keeps metamorphosising, but that's the whole creative process I suppose. The research is going to be quite difficult. Stress!

tillytilly

HSC
Yeaahh, I've basically missed two weeks of it anyway doing accelerated exams ... and I've got three major works to concentrate on ... and hopefully distinction course soon too ... pssssssh HSC!

I had my first real meeting with the teacher over it today. I've got a question- what EXACTLY is the differentiation between Journal and 'Workbook'- is the Journal meant to be purely reflective like in History Extension? How much research can you put into the Journal?

shimmy&shine

HSC
I'm not at home at the moment, and my notes and everything I don't have with me, so I can't give you the best answers. not yet... but soon.

Otherwise, Tilly, I was also the only girl doing poetry out of around 40 students. Mostly did critical response and short stories. So i ended up discussing a few things with students on this board. Thankfully i had excellent and reliable teachers who had poetry marker friends, for example, who could really answer all my questions and help me out.

I also have an email of an hsc ee2 poetry marker, I forgotten his email, but it's on my home pc (and I'm not at home) so i don't have it. His last name is sawyer, and I think he'd be happy to answer any serious questions. If you want it just in case, pm me and I'll give it to you as soon as i can. If you have a quesiton, make sure you ask the right people.

Also, don't worry too much about having a strict theme or concept yet. It will develop and continue to be reshaped. Just have an area of interest and read widely. DOn't let it get to you now. I say, survive your first lot of exams, then you have the whole summer holidays to really finalise (if you want to do it that early) your topic. That said, always read. REad the newspaper, literary magazine. Go to literary events. I highly recommend you attend one set of creativ writing classes. it does not necessarily have to be poetry writing classes.

haha, rissie, what are your main ideas you've formulated so far? Which areas?
darl, by this stage i was like "i love dressmaking" so I was gonna draw parallels with the art of writing with the art of dressmaking. Here is a bit of my proposal draft (and no one dare copy this, becaus eI'm sure many markers will read posts on this site. That's just an obvious warning.) but feel free to draw inspiraton and ideas, of your own construction.

Statement of Intention
· I endeavour to compose a series of poems.
o Channels a metaphorical conception, with an underlying comment on the art of writing, throughout the poem.
o The poems are cohered by a single motif: dressmaking, or more specifically, the process and construction of making a garment.
o Integrating Textile & Design’s elements and principles, and techniques of construction.
o The garment is to be haute couture; a piece of fine art, exquisite, rare and delicate. Just like classic writing. (Further research into which type of writing I am attempting to describe.)
o *Maybe metafiction? Reflective within the text, comments from the author (me), corresponding ideas?
o Working title?
o *Maybe incorporate feminism? Dressmaking is regarded by society as a feminine activity.
o I envisage it to be innovative, original and highly creative, through its intertwinement of the discipline of poetry, the precision of haute couture dressmaking, ultimately delivering a comment on the art of writing. (The parallels of the art in poetry, dressmaking and writing.)
There will be three main divisions in the piece. Each section is in an order specific to the process of textiles and design. For example, one- design, two- prototype, three- construction. Or, I can make the construction the focal point, and concentrate on the particulars.

ASsyou can see, in the end, i did nothing of the sort. I ended up writing about Sylvia Plath. But what I'm trying to show is that, draw on your interests and hobbies. Soemthing you won't be bored on researching for months and months.

tillytille said:
Thanks guys : ) I've had a bit of a look through this year's Poetry stuff, it looks like it's gunna be a fun/stressful/challenging/rewarding time. I kind of need to put it all together somehow though, I'd like to incorporate an existing work or something, not with the content but even just a structural thing to kind of add another dimension into it, y'know?

Shimmy&shine I read that you did Plath this year, did you find that that made it easier to hold everything together?
Yes i did. They key is to visualise the structure and order of your poems. It won't be definitive, but it'll help to kick it off the ground. From my experience, I chose to write Moon poems, that worked to premable each new stage of Plath's life. I interspersed in order 9 Moon poems, that at once created the structure. Thenext step was to write the other poems and slot them in.

I wrote a bit about this in another thread. I drew examples from a lot of different poetry major works. I don't want to repeat myself (I've already written a monstrous post, lol) so you'll have to find it in another thread.

I can't stress the importance of structure enough. It gives the reader something to work with, something to feel solid about. I suggest you read all the showcase major works, and identify their structure.

lottoX said:
Remember to take advantage of the form and power of poetry.

That's pretty much all I can think of right now. Just remember to emphasise and use the aspects of poetry which make it so powerful.

Yeah, way to be specific, huh?
you are very correct. take advantage of the form. I don't think you can get away with consistent clever use of alliteration in prose as you can in poetry. But don't over do it. Don't over do any technique. Avoid having the marker go 'omg way too much consonance'. What I mean by this is, if you have done your research into the FORM (so very important, and must mention it in ytour reflection statement) you will not make these mistakes. Poets don't overuse techniques. They use them apporpraitely and to their advantage. I'll expand on this later, but keep this in mind.

Also practice. One can practice poetry. ALthough, I must admit, the abiltity to write quality poetry is innate, so don't fool yourselves, you have to pursue constructive criticism. Personally, whenever someone said 'perfect, i lvoe it', i was really dissappointed. All i wanted to hear was 'what's this? fix this. This doesn't work. I hate this'. I liked and enjoyed working with all sorts of opinions.

dreamer7 said:
Gah! I've only been in the class for a month and already the major work is taking over my life. Every spare moment I find myself thinking, "would this be a good idea?", "what if I change it to this?"
haha, i was like that to. :)

tillytilly said:
I had my first real meeting with the teacher over it today. I've got a question- what EXACTLY is the differentiation between Journal and 'Workbook'- is the Journal meant to be purely reflective like in History Extension? How much research can you put into the Journal?
I have a perfect sheet of paper to answer this quesotin but it's at home. But i will say, I put everything. Even the program i bought when i went to a Plath stage production. I put EVERYTHING in it. It was so fat. lol. I had four journals. On was a small black diary which i carried everywhere around. So i can quickly jot my ideas around and put snippets of newspaper articles, etc in there. My second was the booklet of plastic sleeves. I put most of my drafts in their. Even horrendous poetry, just so the marker could see that i have developed my poetry throughotu the year. My third was a big VA Diary. huge. I would rant in their about everything. convo's with teachers, my frustrations, my joy, my anger, any disputes any queries answered. anything and everything. My teacher, after she read it she said "omg, it's like your actually talking to me, yabbering on. it is acutally funny, you talk about everything." My fourth was a humoungous, but thin, Va diary. This was like 70cm by 50 cm or something. THis is where i did my big layouts and talked about individual poems. I focussed on the acutal poems here, whilst the other diary was more about the research process.

*Take note these are all my personal opinions derived from personal experiences. But i hope it helps!
*lol, it looks like i'm obsessed. nah, I'm just happy to help, it was my favouraite course so i don't mind talking and helping other people out.

whyjonathan

HSC
i am leaning heavily towards doing poetry...i'm not sure, though. I'm not really super into poetry, I haven't done much before, but the teacher thinks (based on prose of mine that he's read) I should.

Aestheticism is the theme/concept bouncing around at the moment. all about how ugly the world is, and how our senses are so dulled we are content with that uglyness. this can lead into a bunch of different things, like pop -vs- high culture and the effect of middle class complacency on a meaningful life. it all seems a bit cliché to me, though. :p and i have no idea how to poem-ify it.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Not having written poetry before shouldn't stop you form choosing it as your EE2 medium. I'm sure most of the people who pick poetry wouldn't have had much experience writing poetry before anyway. Actually, most people have had no experience writing poetry (and no, acrostics don't count). Anything can be put into poetry. You said so yourself that your prose has some poetic qualities. Why not run with that and write some poetic prose?

shimmy&shine

HSC
for the journal question:

the journal could include:
-the proposal
-a statement of intent
-an agreement between teacher and student regarding the intention of the major work
-identification of audience and purpose for the mw
-a working title (don't stress too much about this. it will eventually come. try to be original and catchy. However, my teacher said once she marked this short story called 'caving' and thought the tile was a bit bland, but then she read the story, and thought it was excellent. But the title is important. The first impression you give the marker is a vital one. Kind of think of it like the sexy dress your gonna wear to a blind date, he who is standing far away, and you want him to be your boyfriend badly! lol. :p )
-a planner or a timeline
-a method of approach
-course outcomes (always make sure your fulfilling these)
-assessment task drafts
-feedback from assessment tasks
-reflections on meeting with teachers and mentors
-documentation of external assistance, critical friends, mentors, tutors, professional help
-acknoqledgement of outside technical assistance (ALWAYS!~! be honest!)
-reflections on the process itself
-shared discussions with other students
-reflections on group learning experiences
-reflections of their own corresponding processes (stpo being so sef-indulgent! lol)
-evidence of research and questioning
-stimulus material (i stuck so much in. it made my journal fat, but it's good.)
-preparation for the reflection statement (I made the last page of my journal, a place where i jotted down clever sentences and techniques i had to mention. it's good for later. You won't regret it! make it easier for yourself, and start teh process early. But you don't want an overload of sentences by the stage you start writing the rs, so keep it a one simple page, where only the vital points get jotted down.
-a wide reading record (I downloaded pages and pages of academic Plath material. Then i made a checklist. I catagorised the texts. the imperative. the complementary. the you-get-the-idea. Get familiar with certain authors and scholars. Usually certain authors will be an expert in a certain area, and their name will continually pop up.)
-useful websites
-a bibliography (I kept this at the back of my journal. Don't ever say "oh, I'll write it in later", you will regret it. You want the title of a certain book in hand. Also, it'll help if you decide to also hand in a non-compulsory bibliography.

shimmy&shine

HSC
whyjonathan said:
i am leaning heavily towards doing poetry...i'm not sure, though. I'm not really super into poetry, I haven't done much before, but the teacher thinks (based on prose of mine that he's read) I should.

Aestheticism is the theme/concept bouncing around at the moment. all about how ugly the world is, and how our senses are so dulled we are content with that uglyness. this can lead into a bunch of different things, like pop -vs- high culture and the effect of middle class complacency on a meaningful life. it all seems a bit cliché to me, though. :p and i have no idea how to poem-ify it.
You will develop your poetry writing skills intime. it just depends onhow serious you want to take it. I thought i was pretty crap when i started out. but that was before the course. Ir depends for a lot of people, but if you want to do it, and you want to do well, then it's pretty clear that you just have to be a good poet.

that said, it's a prerequiste that you must utterly LOVE writing! but of course you do..

about your concept. don't worry too much about cliche'. you don't want your writing to have ANY cliche, but th concept is somewhat differnet. It's your angle on it, so try to be clever with that.

I think beauty vs ugliness in the world is a good idea. You could use a lot of intertextuality with writers who examine precisely that. Actually i think you'll do quite well with that, it's really good, but once again, it's how you execute a concept that makes it any good.

btw, i love your word "poem-ify" :p

you have no idea how to poem-ify?
just brainstorm. for example, with mine. My basic concept was the poet Sylvia Plath. Yet i managed to successfully poem-ify her. Keep thinking about it. I'd like to help more, but i can't because you haven't really given any depth or details.

however, becareful sharing it over the internet, for obvious reasons.

if you still want my help or opinions on something you don't want to disclose to the public you can pm me or anyone else you want help from. glitterfairy would be another good one.

xoxo

Emzyfo

HSC
I'm doing poetry, let's hope it turns out ok.

I got an Idea, it's really out there - my teacher doesn't really seem to like it, but to hell with her! Ha!

shimmy&shine

HSC
Emzyfo said:
I'm doing poetry, let's hope it turns out ok.

I got an Idea, it's really out there - my teacher doesn't really seem to like it, but to hell with her! Ha!
I'm sure your teachers want the best for you. your marks reflects her teaching if you get what i mean..

but that said, pursue various opinions. Your parents, friends, professors, other english teachers, poets. Whoever, it doesn't matter. every opinion counts when it comes down to an 'idea'. Anyways, no matter how bland an idea is, it's the way you handle it and how you go about it.

From the past showcases, one of my favourite short stories was based on the disintegrating relationship between father and daughter. Yes a simple and even bland concept at first, but when you apply real-life experiences, social theories, etc, it becomes captivating. It was amazing.

I hope you major work turns out well too. Keep dreaming, keep persuing to finish the ee2 course with a high, try to imagine what it would be like to be shortlisted after al the effort.

It worked for me, and it could work for you. :)

bored6

HSC
Bonjour

Im defecting from Short story it seems but since I dont know much about poetry I thought it wise to ask you guys...

Basically what should I be reading in order to solidify my poetic skills? Anything specific or any poet specifically?

And also I think my concept is pretty weak. Im aiming to write about the archetypes of literature i.e. the hero, the innocent and maybe apply this to a modern context? Would this work or does it seem to be to basic?

Thanks guys

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
There aren't any specific poets you should be reading, just read lots of poetry. The more you read the better and when you find a poet you like, just read some more of their work. My personal favourites are TS Eliot and Seamus Heaney. I suppose the poet you should be focusing on (besides one whose style you like) depends on the theme you want to explore.

bored6

HSC
666_blessings said:
There aren't any specific poets you should be reading, just read lots of poetry. The more you read the better and when you find a poet you like, just read some more of their work. My personal favourites are TS Eliot and Seamus Heaney. I suppose the poet you should be focusing on (besides one whose style you like) depends on the theme you want to explore.
Thanks mate..defi. doing poetry now it seems much more interesting then SS.

chingu

HSC
yeh hey! my teacher doesnt really like my idea either, and yes i moved from short story too. its more fun to do poetry! proposal due tomorrow for me ... jeevers.

tillytilly

HSC
I got my proposal back yesterday, my teacher said he liked my "unique idea", I got good, over 90 marks for the proposal, I'm happpyy with that.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)