2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition/Iemma or Debnam? (1 Viewer)

2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition?

• Labor

Votes: 125 46.5%
  • Coalition

Votes: 77 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Still Undecided

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Minchin

HSC
N/A
Buried in this article are the results of leaked internal ALP polling of marginal seats:

[...]Internal Labor Party polling obtained exclusively by The Sunday Telegraph shows the race could be closer than expected.

Conducted in the last week of January and the first week of February, the poll found the NSW Coalition would win the State election based on results in 12 marginal seats across NSW.

On a two-party preferred basis, the poll found the NSW Coalition ahead of Labor 51-49.

An ALP source said the poll was the first to question voters on the direction of their preferences. [...]
An interesting result, especially given that the Morgan poll released yesterday reported a TPP result of 58/42 in Labor's favour. (Note however that this result is statewide, not just the marginals)

Howard is predicting a "surprisingly big swing" to the NSW Coalition (A salute to Debnam in state poll)

Last edited:

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Nick Minchin said:
Buried in this article are the results of leaked internal ALP polling of marginal seats:

An interesting result, especially given that the Morgan poll released yesterday reported a TPP result of 58/42 in Labor's favour. (Note however that this result is statewide, not just the marginals)

Howard is predicting a "surprisingly big swing" to the NSW Coalition ([URL="http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/a-salute-to-debnam-in-state-poll/2007/02/10/1170524349655.html]A salute to Debnam in state poll[/url])
Interesting, one must always wonder the validity of these leaks and the results of the polling..

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Especially when two polls released about a week apart have such vastly different results.

volition

arr.
HSC
Check the odds offered by gambling sites, they're typically more accurate than these polls :p

Nick Minchin

HSC
N/A
A reminder that the election debate, Iemma v Debnam, is on tonight at 7.30pm on ABC TV.

Heat is on as leaders go head to head

Debnam goes for recycling

SYDNEY residents will be drinking recycled water within two years under a radical State Opposition plan to pump billions of litres of treated sewage into the drinking supply.
As clouds literally descend over Premier Morris Iemma's $1.9 billion desalination plant, Opposition Leader Peter Debnam will today reveal his plans for a city-wide "Water Network" to solve Sydney's water crisis.
He will present voters with a major point of difference between the Coalition and the Government on the critical election issue of water.
Voters will now be effectively asked on March 24 to choose between recycled water or water from a $1.9 billion desalination plant.
[...]
The coalition clearly has the superior water plan. The following point wins me over:

At a cost of $995 million, less than half that of a desalination plant, [...] The plan would deliver more than double the amount of water than desalination
Double the water for half the cost of Iemma's desalination plant.

Last edited:

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Musk said:
By the looks of it (if the media ever paid attention to him) it appears Dettham has a very educated way to tackle the water crisis with a series of small solutions that can make it much efficient rather than just build the desalination plant where there is no way in hell gonna be 100% green energy without the use of a nuclear plant
Good point. It seems that the media are devaluing Debnam and the Coalition's policies, of which there is much substance. If the media was treating him and his policies with the same degree of obsession as they are wit Kevin Rudd, Debnam would be a shoe in.

Rhetoric such as the 'education revolution' receive more attention than any of the coalition policies which provide real solutions, not just ideological banter. The UN Childrens report released yesterday totally contradicted Rudd''s push for an education revolution concluding that 15 y/o Australians were ranked third in the world for reading, numeracy and scientific skills.
Why was there minimal scrutiny of this point? Further, it found that despite this Australian children are still, to a large extent, unhappy. Why? Because we have an education system that places extraordinary pressure to achieve acadmically, whilst reducing the propensity for studnets to undertake skills learning and options of interest. The techincal colleges are a move in the right direction. If anything, we have the ALP to thank for the devaluing of trade skills, and the over emphasis of university education.

Recycling is a very good move, cost effective, efficient and provides a clear alternative to desalination.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I can tell you who I won't be voting for after that debate, considering that I went in with an open mind: Debnam.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I can tell you who I won't be voting for after that debate, considering that I went in with an open mind: Debnam.
I can tell you who I won't be voting for after that debate, considering that I went in with an open mind: Iemma :rofl:

HSC
Well i was going for Labor at one stage and now my vote is secure. Liberals. It's time for a new party. Hey if we don't like Liberals through the next 4 years, we can always turn to the Greens.

Nick Minchin

HSC
N/A
The Labor strategy: "Bob Carr never existed and [the] Government's reign began in August 2005". Iemma is presenting himself as a one man government, whilst disassociating himself from the ALP and its time in power. Surely he cannot just pretend that the past 12 years never happened? I'd like to think that the people of NSW are smarter than that. Lets not forget Iemma was a cabinet level minister in the Carr Government, holding portfolios such as Health, Public Works, and State Development.

Iemma cannot deny the past

It's more time: a jingle that jangles

No party mood for Iemma's launch

Peter Debnam: Sydney needs drinking water

Last edited:

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
Nick Minchin said:
The Labor strategy: "Bob Carr never existed and [the] Government's reign began in August 2005".
Yes, in the debate you could tell he was trying quite hard to distance himself from the Carr governments.
I had to laugh when Debnam pulled out the sheet of paper with the graph and said "this has been the NSW economy" and spoke of how it was headed for a recession.
Meanwhile the latest Iemma TV ads are about how he needs time to 'finish the job'.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
At the same time, we're not electing the party for the next 4 years on what they did 12 years ago....

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
You know, I haven't heard that one :p

Besides, I'm at UoW now.

Wait, corrupt? Ok, so I was on committee and got free entry to shows a couple of years back....

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Musk said:
The senior ministers of the labor party have been there during the vast majority of that time

As a NUTS person...fuck off corrupt moron dont your group have some coke to do at the UTS students association.
NUTS is a drama society at UNSW.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I was wondering why he mentioned UTS.

NUTS= Newsouthwales University Theatrical Society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)