2008 1st Year Computing. (1 Viewer)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
I can't seem to find a thread on this, so I'll create one.

Who else is doing Computing at UNSW 1st year this year?

I'm doing Computer Science, anyone else out there?

HSC
I'm not doing a computer science per se. But I am doing a few computing units this year. I'm doing Higher Computing as well as Discrete Mathematics (prerequisite for other computing courses).

HSC
Software Engineering (and commerce, but no commerce in the 1st semester).

I'm looking very much so forward to doing significantly less computing than I did in highschool, even though I'm doing a computing degree </sarcasm>.

But I am looking forward to Higher Computing.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
I went to the welcome today.. All so confusing, they don't use that vista/webct/mye-learning or whatever its called, so where can we access all the course documents, etc.? I can't find a link on their web page. I even asked today, and I didn't get a clear answer. Also I thought I read somewhere we get a free itunes card valued at 3 songs? Oh well morning tea was good, free food is always good. Anyway, below is a recount of part of my day, enjoy!

I was looking for a computer lab, and I stumbled across one called leaf. I didn't know if I was allowed in so I thought I would see, I swiped my card, *beep*, I pulled the door and it opened. Okay, I was in, next step was to work out how to log in. Up on the screen it prompted for my user name, so unknowing what to do, I entered my student number, then I click return and it ask's for my password, so I enter my UniPass. Login Failed, the screen displays. I was confused, so I went out to the help desk and asked the nice man behind the counter. He directed me to a form, which told me how to set up my account. Turns out I needed to enter newuser for the user, this would allow me into a web site, through which I could set up my account. So, I read the long terms and conditions, and set up my account. Turns out we get a login that is not the student number. Anyway, I re-enter into the leaf lab, armed with my new account I manage to log in. Having never used Linux, or a recent version of Mac, I am baffled by what appears, I see two command line window pop up and a bar along the bottom, which appeared to only show the time. Confused, I entered ? into the command line. Unknown command, the computer beams back. Hmmm, so I tried "help", wola, the command line lists some commands, but none of them make any sense to me. Bored by the lack of things to do on the computer, I type "logout" into the command line. Hmm.. nothing happens, it just responds with something about exit. So I type "exit", the command window closes. Because it started with two command windows, I enter exit into the other one. It closes, but the computer is still logged on. Hmm... What do I do, how do I log off, I thought to myself. I was temped to ask one of the other 2nd/3rd years in the lab, but I thought it was a bit awkward to interrupt them playing away at some computer game. So I started pressing buttons on the keyboard like "Options" (the button in the same place as the windows key on windows machines), however this does not work. So I start clicking on the bar the the bottom, which no such luck though. But finally I tried right clicking on the desktop, and, there we go a small menu appears, with a list of programs and applications, and also the log out button.

EDIT: Turns out this web site explains it https://wiki.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs1917cgi/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Lab00, but how the hell were we meant to know this. I check my email regally, and I never got any emails about it.

EDIT: "I swiped my card, *beep*, I pulled the door and it opened." I feel like an idiot now because I think it was unlocked anyway, how embarrassing.

Last edited:

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Yep cse doesnt use vist or webct ftw, they use a much simpler site so for comp1917 it will be https://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs1917/

Yep the default account settings have just terminals, you can select a desktop environment on the login manager from 'sessions', try gnome for a start. You'll get used to it in no time. :)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
STx said:
Yep cse doesnt use vist or webct ftw, they use a much simpler site so for comp1917 it will be https://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs1917/

Yep the default account settings have just terminals, you can select a desktop environment on the login manager from 'sessions', try gnome for a start. You'll get used to it in no time. :)
I eventually found, https://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs1917/ , but I wish they had told us this.

I know... I will get used to it.. but its just a shock the first time, especially when there is no one to direct you.

And I'm so not used to the Mac keyboards, I could never find the num lock key.

HSC
me121 said:
EDIT: Turns out this web site explains it https://wiki.cse.unsw.edu.au/~cs1917cgi/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Lab00, but how the hell were we meant to know this. I check my email regally, and I never got any emails about it.
Ummm....

It's not something that's designed to be done alone.
If you look here:
http://www.computing.unsw.edu.au/oweek/
You're supposed to do exactly that during Lab 0, which ran on Monday (when I did it) and also today, and another one will be next Monday. During the lab, there are people to help, and you get that sheet with instructions there too.
Sorry, but you have nobody but yourself to blame for not attending the labs.

And it's 100% your fault, for not using linux. How the crap can anyone in computing not use linux anyway? Or at the very least have some experience with it. But yeh, that would not have been a problem for you, had you attended the labs, as I mentioned there were people to provide assistance on hand.

Also, I actually quite like the CSE setup, because you can SSH into your CSE account from home and do stuff on it. And that's really really cool - and very convenient.

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Well they never sent me any emails. The only ones I got were sent to the email i provided UAC, they should not have been sent there, rather to my UniMail.

This is all I was going by,

I didn't think this LAB0 was anything important, it never says what it is.

HSC
It's not up to you, to which email should should or shouldn't send stuff to. I, being a logically thinking person (sorry, really rubbing it in now :p), gave them my main gmail email, and so I got this email on the 27th of February:

This is a notification to students enrolled in Computing Degrees:
Computer Science
Computer Engineering
Software Engineering
Bioinformatics
and double degrees with those programs.
We apologize to students who are not in these degrees - you can delete now.

The O-Week Program for Computing Students has had some changes. The most current outline is at
http://www.computing.unsw.edu.au/oweek/

Please check this page again before attending events.

Changes are:

Monday, March 3
1:00pm
COMP1917/COMP1911 - Which should I do?
Has moved to the Rex Vowels Theatre

The BBQ on Monday March 3rd is hosted by the Switch. See their archive of newsletters at www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~beta

Lab 0 that was scheduled for Wednesday has been moved to Thursday March 6th.
4:00pm - 6:00pm
CSE-Soc LAB 0
(Location TBA - this will be announced during the Welcome at 10:15am)

Students who register with CSE-Soc during the Thursday Welcome Morning Tea (10:30am) will go into the draw to win a new 1GB red iPod Shuffle.

The presentation time for the Macquarie Prize has been changed to Wednesday March 19 0900-1200. This will be of interested particularly to Software Engineering Students.

Monday to Friday night of week 1
5:30pm - 10:00pm approx
CSE Revue - one DVD per night of the previous shows!
K-17 level 1 Seminar Room

Registrations for the Mentor Program are still open. To attend the events (in red) you need to pre-register at http://do.cse.unsw.edu.au/students/mentorprogram/mentee/

Good luck with your studies, and I hope you enjoy O-Week!
Brad

Unfortunately it was tagged as spam, since UNSW doesn't seem to have / know how to use rDNS nor SPF, but that's why everyone should check their spam folder sometimes (I know I do).

As for lab 0 being important, well I think they mentioned it during one of the things on Monday, but if not, I definately remember them mentioning it during the CSE welcome this morning, which was the first thing on the list. Did you attend that?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
It's not up to you, to which email should should or shouldn't send stuff to. I, being a logically thinking person (sorry, really rubbing it in now :p), gave them my main gmail email, and so I got this email on the 27th of February:

Unfortunately it was tagged as spam, since UNSW doesn't seem to have / know how to use rDNS nor SPF, but that's why everyone should check their spam folder sometimes (I know I do).

As for lab 0 being important, well I think they mentioned it during one of the things on Monday, but if not, I definately remember them mentioning it during the CSE welcome this morning, which was the first thing on the list. Did you attend that?
Yeah, i was there. guy in the dark blue shirt. I was not there on Monday, but to be honest, i've found everything so its all good. I don't want to argue over it anymore. :)

I'm actually starting to get used to the commands, that page on csesoc, http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~csesoc/dooku/doku.php?id=2007:session_1:masterclassdraft, is really helpful. are all cse students automatically a member of csesoc?

HSC

syper

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
HSC
me121 said:
Anyway, below is a recount of part of my day, enjoy!

I was looking for a computer lab, and I stumbled across one called leaf. I didn't know if I was allowed in so I thought I would see, I swiped my card, *beep*, I pulled the door and it opened. Okay, I was in, next step was to work out how to log in. Up on the screen it prompted for my user name, so unknowing what to do, I entered my student number, then I click return and it ask's for my password, so I enter my UniPass. Login Failed, the screen displays. I was confused, so I went out to the help desk and asked the nice man behind the counter. He directed me to a form, which told me how to set up my account. Turns out I needed to enter newuser for the user, this would allow me into a web site, through which I could set up my account. So, I read the long terms and conditions, and set up my account. Turns out we get a login that is not the student number. Anyway, I re-enter into the leaf lab, armed with my new account I manage to log in. Having never used Linux, or a recent version of Mac, I am baffled by what appears, I see two command line window pop up and a bar along the bottom, which appeared to only show the time. Confused, I entered ? into the command line. Unknown command, the computer beams back. Hmmm, so I tried "help", wola, the command line lists some commands, but none of them make any sense to me. Bored by the lack of things to do on the computer, I type "logout" into the command line. Hmm.. nothing happens, it just responds with something about exit. So I type "exit", the command window closes. Because it started with two command windows, I enter exit into the other one. It closes, but the computer is still logged on. Hmm... What do I do, how do I log off, I thought to myself. I was temped to ask one of the other 2nd/3rd years in the lab, but I thought it was a bit awkward to interrupt them playing away at some computer game. So I started pressing buttons on the keyboard like "Options" (the button in the same place as the windows key on windows machines), however this does not work. So I start clicking on the bar the the bottom, which no such luck though. But finally I tried right clicking on the desktop, and, there we go a small menu appears, with a list of programs and applications, and also the log out button.
Wow, great story!.. You sure you shouldn't be studying journalism or something? :p

Mumma

HSC
You'll get used to linux and the command line interface quickly. Soon enough using a mouse will seem slow and sluggish :D

Vylen

HSC
Yo peeps,

All people who are doing COMP courses and/or are doing a degree with CSE are automatically members of CSEsoc.

Hopefully most people attended the Lab0 we organised for all you first years otherwise many of you will be wasting precious time setting up your account for the first time in Lab1.

In any case, it was an interesting read your post, me121. I suggest you play with mouse controls too. Left/Right clicking on the desktop of the default window manager you see brings up various menu's you can play with.

As for the issue with mac keyboards. They're completely normal keyboards, just with different things printed on them. One is your control, alt and windows-key (or called "super" under linux). The num-lock key would be the "Clear" button in the number pad.

Cheers and have fun,
Merv - CSEsoc Publicity Officer ;)

P.S make sure to read your emails as many of our events will be publicised that way.

xmagiczx

HSC
zagadka said:
there's another lab0 on monday afternoon i think
People who have classes on monday cant attend it right? They have to do it on their spare time before tut-lab?

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
Whaaa? I'm in 2nd year and never got an email or anything anywhere indicating that I had to attend lab 0. I'm overloading this so my timetable's pretty full. It says you need to complete lab 0 while there's a tutor around but I don't know when any other labs are (busy monday) and should get it done by friday.

HSC
toadstooltown said:
Whaaa? I'm in 2nd year and never got an email or anything anywhere indicating that I had to attend lab 0. I'm overloading this so my timetable's pretty full. It says you need to complete lab 0 while there's a tutor around but I don't know when any other labs are (busy monday) and should get it done by friday.
I think the email only applies to first year CSE students.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Non-comp1917/1911 students only need to setup their account properly so they can log in. So just do the first couple steps(which is just setting up your account and seeing if you can login)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)