2008 CSSA Bio Exam Thoughts/Results (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: CSSA Bio exam thoughts

Is there still anyone having trouble answering those questions? I don't.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC

The more I look at this discussion, the more I think I stuffed up my Bio exam.

What did you write for the discussion on the use of Arterial Blood Gas Analysis in surgery... um, why is it used, isn't it?

jozza80

Enthusiasm
HSC

dolbinau said:
It was actually Carboaminohaemoglobin
23% of CO2 combines with haemoglobin to form carboaminohaemoglobin, BUT 70% of CO2 combines with water to for hydrogen carbonate ions...

Could it be that?

dolbinau

HSC

Undermyskin said:

What did you write for the discussion on the use of Arterial Blood Gas Analysis in surgery... um, why is it used, isn't it?
I did ABG, but I hope it was right and they weren't just after Pulse Oximeter. The second part was a disguised "Why must CO2 be removed" I think. (i.e change of environment, out of optimum metabolic efficiency etc..)

candisnap

HSC
N/A

Annalisee said:
What a sexy exam, knocked it out in an hour and a half. However our school is slow and hasn't done the option yet (which we actually don't have an option on, miss christianity just chose the one she already had lesson plans for) so we got given a bunch of random core questions.
Only thing I had no idea about was what Carbon Dioxide is called when it's in blood...anyone?
I put hydrogen carbonate (bicarbonate) ions. Apparently (wikipedia) theres 3 different forms, and that form is meant to be the highest percentage way that it is carried. Carboaminohaemoglobin is meant to be the lowest percentage form.

So i guess they're both right?

Yeh i put divergent evolution, i guess its now down to how your teacher inteprets it. But we learnt it as divergent evolution, kind of like Darwin's finches, which would be considered divergent even though they look similar right?

candisnap

HSC
N/A

jozza80 said:
23% of CO2 combines with haemoglobin to form carboaminohaemoglobin, BUT 70% of CO2 combines with water to for hydrogen carbonate ions...

Could it be that?
ha yep, beat me too it.

jozza80

Enthusiasm
HSC

candisnap said:
ha yep, beat me too it.
Fewf, I was confident when I did the question, then all these people and their fancy carboaminohaemoglobin scared me!!

:)

candisnap

HSC
N/A

jozza80 said:
Fewf, I was confident when I did the question, then all these people and their fancy carboaminohaemoglobin scared me!!

:)
haha same, i've never even heard of it before

homijoe

HSC

hey guys i think its carbaminohaemoglobin, becoz in the question it specifically asked for the form CO2 is carried in RED BLOOD CELLs CO2 is carried in the blood in three forms:

70% dissolved as bicarbonate ions which is carried by plasma
23% as carbaminohaemoglobin which is carried by red blood cells
7% dissolved in plasma which is carried by plasma...

therefore the only correct answer would be carbaminhaemoglobin.

Justina

HSC

*cough* i couldnt decide which one to put so i put all three, haha =) go me

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC

Hell, I can't remember the exact question. Are you sure they specify RBC there? Hell, I should have written down all three! Damn.

homijoe

HSC

Undermyskin said:
Are you sure they specify RBC there? .
yeh im sure coz wen i was reading the question i underlined Red blood cells so that i dnt write all 3 forms.

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC

And the other 7% is found dissolved in the plasma
Um, is the Independant Bio trial normally easier or harder then the CSSA?
I just did mine (independant), it was pretty basic

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

Undermyskin said:

Arterial blood gas analysis isnt used in surgery to my knowledge, do to its nature, it takes time to test a blood sample using electrochemical processes, so it wouldnt really help in monitoring i always thought it was more for diagnosis, non invasive tests such as the t stat thingy are better to use

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC

Gosh. I'm gone. This is the ten thousandth time I haven't read the questions carefully.

It depends on which 'independent' paper you do. My teacher says there are about 5-6 ind. ones so we can't really speculate. The one we got for yr 11 last year was evil because it required a strong linkage between all the areas of study and their implications for the necessity of others. CSSA this year, well, is not easy but not hard either 'cuz the 7-mark question is like a dot point (?) or a brief summary of main points on vaccination, antibiotics and personal hygiene - most of module 3 (I attempted to use this point but not sure my teacher is convinced. Finger crossed)

I didn't study anything for ABG so... Anyway, since the question doesn't specify 'surgery' in the 1mark section, I reckon it still works?

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

Undermyskin said:
Gosh. I'm gone. This is the ten thousandth time I haven't read the questions carefully.

It depends on which 'independent' paper you do. My teacher says there are about 5-6 ind. ones so we can't really speculate. The one we got for yr 11 last year was evil because it required a strong linkage between all the areas of study and their implications for the necessity of others. CSSA this year, well, is not easy but not hard either 'cuz the 7-mark question is like a dot point (?) or a brief summary of main points on vaccination, antibiotics and personal hygiene - most of module 3 (I attempted to use this point but not sure my teacher is convinced. Finger crossed)

I didn't study anything for ABG so... Anyway, since the question doesn't specify 'surgery' in the 1mark section, I reckon it still works?
The question i did in the cssa paper said surgery, and we only had the option substituted

dolbinau

HSC

axlenatore said:
The question i did in the cssa paper said surgery, and we only had the option substituted
Yeah, I put ABG as well though - hoping it will slip through. Otherwise it's just one mark. What's 1%, really.

auxx

HSC

Daniel-08 said:
That is 100% correct. Although they did have a common ancestor, they moved to seperate parts of the globe. Because environmental pressures in the two environments were similar, the emu and ostrich developed similar features. It cannot possible be divergent evolution, because this indicates that two species have moved away from each other and evolved different characteristics, which is clearly not the case in this example.
I got my exam back and the answer was divergent evolution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)