2008 CSSA Bio Exam Thoughts/Results (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: CSSA Bio exam thoughts

Got exam back..70/100 :( Class average was 55 :rofl:

homijoe said:
hey guys i think its carbaminohaemoglobin, becoz in the question it specifically asked for the form CO2 is carried in RED BLOOD CELLs CO2 is carried in the blood in three forms:

70% dissolved as bicarbonate ions which is carried by plasma
23% as carbaminohaemoglobin which is carried by red blood cells
7% dissolved in plasma which is carried by plasma...

therefore the only correct answer would be carbaminhaemoglobin.
Woo answer was bicarbonate ions

dolbinau said:
Got 91/100. Anyone else?
That's really good *thumbs up*

Last edited:

jozza80

Enthusiasm
HSC

Got that stupid convergent/divergent question wrong - debating with the teacher didnt prove helpful; stupid marking guide!

93/100 for me! :D

eddy11

HSC

got 90/100, pretty stoked but we did a different elective part with all the questions only on questions we had done because we hadn't finished yet, without elective i got 92%

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

axlenatore said:
Arterial blood gas analysis isnt used in surgery to my knowledge, do to its nature, it takes time to test a blood sample using electrochemical processes, so it wouldnt really help in monitoring i always thought it was more for diagnosis, non invasive tests such as the t stat thingy are better to use
err i got the exam back and this is wrong :rolleyes: haha it was ABG, i was expecting to do worse than normal but go a great mark so i was happy

eddy11

HSC

i put a capnoeter for that one about the CO2 in surgery

Azurie

HSC

68%, how do you get half marks in CSSA?. I came first with 68% though lol

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC

Happy-chappy! I got 94.5

Since my teacher rounds it up to 95, I, technically, pass my set benchmark of 95 for everything. lolz

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC

my teacher explained several questions that are being discussed here.

firstly: divergent/convergent evolution. it's divergent, because the birds had a common ancestor. convergent is only used when they do not have a common ancestor but evolve to look similar.

arterial blood gas analysis/pulse oximeter: both correct as there is a new form of po out that measures co2. abg is done by taking a sample of blood, therefore it can be used in surgery but it takes much longer. also, many pos can only be used if the patient has a pulse, which limits types of surgery it can be used in. (some new pos, like the ones that measure co2, can be used when the patient has no pulse. weird, because that kind of negates the whole pulse oximeter thing, huh?)

carboaminohaemoglobin/bicarbonate ions (hydrogen carbonate ions): both correct, but carboaminohaemologin is more correct.

i ended up getting 76%, which isn't bad. much better than my midyear result of 58%. hopefully i can pull my mark up even more for hsc.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

emo-kid-91 said:
my teacher explained several questions that are being discussed here.

arterial blood gas analysis/pulse oximeter: both correct as there is a new form of po out that measures co2. abg is done by taking a sample of blood, therefore it can be used in surgery but it takes much longer. also, many pos can only be used if the patient has a pulse, which limits types of surgery it can be used in. (some new pos, like the ones that measure co2, can be used when the patient has no pulse. weird, because that kind of negates the whole pulse oximeter thing, huh?).
I put the oximeter and got it marked wrong

HSC

emo-kid-91 said:
carboaminohaemoglobin/bicarbonate ions (hydrogen carbonate ions): both correct, but carboaminohaemologin is more correct.
"more correct". Lol

emo-kid-91 said:
i ended up getting 76%, which isn't bad. much better than my midyear result of 58%. hopefully i can pull my mark up even more for hsc.
My mid year was 42% :D
79% now

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC

axlenatore said:
I put the oximeter and got it marked wrong
my teacher only marked it right because she'd read that article about the new ones being able to measure co2 - otherwise i'd have got it wrong. tell your teacher; maybe they can find the article and you'll get an extra mark.

emiliehearts

HSC
How did everyone go in the CSSA bio exam?

What was everyones results?
And what was their favourite part of the exam?

I got 79%

I was quite please with myself considering i had four exams in two days and a death within the school.

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
Re: How did everyone go in the CSSA bio exam?

81% :uhhuh:

I guess my favourite was the 7 marker on medical science and technology cos I hit all the right notes.:uhhuh:

Last edited:

emiliehearts

HSC

FLYHAWK14 said:
81% :uhhuh:

I guess my favourite was the 7 marker on medical science and technology cos I hit all the right notes.:uhhuh:

Me Too!:lol:
What did you talk about for it?
Did you get the full 7 marks?

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A

emiliehearts said:
I wrote about vaccines and antibiotics, stating what they were and how they help natural body defences

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
95% i loved the option, it was mostly substitued as we are only half way through it and consisted of describe a DNA model, a dihybrid cross and talking about polygenes and multiple alleles but had a question for the actual example which was about incidents of cancer which wasnt cool. I was pleased with the 7 marker i was expecting one on EI but was happy to see only a sort answer question on it

Last edited:

eddy11

HSC

emiliehearts said:
got the 7 marks, talked about vaccines, skin grafts, spray on skin for burns victims who do cannot recieve grafts for various reasons, (skin is the first line of defence after all) and sterilising bandages inspired by pasteur

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)