2008 Major Art Work (1 Viewer)

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
Hey guys!

For my Major, It took me ages to pick a topic, because every topic I wanted to do, either someone else was doing it, or I new for a fact that it was done last year.

Sooo

I decided to focus on the whole "Destroying Mother Earth" thing. I know it's probably a really obvious topic that may seem like an easy way out, but saving the world and doing something about the hole in the Ozone layer etc is really high on the priority list these days. I want to use art to show people how precious our worl id, exactly what they're doing to it even if they don't realise it, and what's going to happen if we don't put a stop to it! (I'm such a greenie..lol)

Do you guys know if It's been done before? I'm sure it has...but did anyone do it last year? or even the year before? And If so, what did they do for it?

Also, do you have any ideas on how I can portay the meaning behind my work? I've got some,(which involve photography and sculpture) but I don't feel Ive got enough in my work to get a good mark.

I don't want to be overly obvious, but I want the message to be clear.

If you have anything a bit different, interesting or clever ways that I can portay meaning I'd love to hear your ideas! :)

Thanks guys. Any ideas/help would be really appreciated! :cool:

trax2

HSC
a lot of people do their work
about "mother nature."
but then a lot of people their
work about "world issues"

why dont you look through
old art express books as
inspiration

bassistx

HSC
I'm a greenie too! Haha. But I do feel it is a bit done, you know? If you can come up with something completely new then you will definitely get top marks. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice because I don't know what I'm doing myself lol.

I have too many ideas. Help?! :(
1. Big paper-plane made out of newspapers. Theme of media and propaganda. My friend put it very nicely - they'll get their word across, even if it means using paperplanes and throwing them at people lol.
2. Life-size chess game. A bit too political maybe, I think it's been done? Might skip this one, not enough time left to work on it.
3. "Commuter" piece... Also very large scale. Big newspaper (made of newspapers), big cup of coffee (made of coffee cups from Gloria Jean's, Starbucks, etc.) and a big ball of scrunched up tissues. I don't know what I could write about this piece. It's just glorifying the everyday mundane.

I'm really into the pop art stuff lol. Definitely sculptural though.

If I do go ahead with the paperplane, I need to get chicken wire or whatever for the frame. My teacher said I could get it from Bunnings. Does anyone have any rough idea of how much it would be per metre? I haven't gone shopping all holidays and there isn't much time left :S

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
Yeah..I know it's cliched.
As for doing something "different," thats where I'm stuck.

My only idea that may be remotely different is: I'm making a bodycast, that will be pregnant, (represent "mother" earth) out of plaster (getting made on Monday) then using that mould to cast the body out of rice paper. (not looking forward to doing that) Inside the pregant stomach is going to be a world, hopefully with lights just to highlight the world. The rice paper idea is a way of showing the delicacy of our mother earth.

Sounds dodgey now that I see it written down...

I want to change my entire idea, but my teacher won't let me. :( And even if i do...I'm stuck for an idea, because I have so many!

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
Wow. That is different!
It sounds great, seriously. You should do it!
Good luck! I'm sure you'll choose something in the end - you have to lol. Aren't they due in August?

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
Lol, yeah, sometime around there..

But my teacher wont let me change because she has this stupid rule that whatever topic we had before Christmas holidays is the one we have to stick to.

Yeah, I like the body idea, even if it is a bit dodgey...but I'm trying to come up with another concept that it could fit into, instead of the whole "One World. One Life. Our Future" like i first planned. Because as everyone's said, it's cliched, been done before...and I don't want something that's going to make the markers say "Oh great, here we go again" you know?

~kiki

HSC
J.a.d.e :-) said:
Lol, yeah, sometime around there..

But my teacher wont let me change because she has this stupid rule that whatever topic we had before Christmas holidays is the one we have to stick to.

Yeah, I like the body idea, even if it is a bit dodgey...but I'm trying to come up with another concept that it could fit into, instead of the whole "One World. One Life. Our Future" like i first planned. Because as everyone's said, it's cliched, been done before...and I don't want something that's going to make the markers say "Oh great, here we go again" you know?
who cares about your teachers rules? Its your major project. In the end she can only advise you, she can't stop you. If you feel your idea isn't good enough then change it!! I hadn't finalised my idea until end of term one after the christmas holidays...

bassistx

HSC
You have to be careful because they mark what you've done so far in April or something. I think that's worth 30%. So you definitely should decide on something fast, after all, it's a major work and you can't afford to start over again.
We all hate our ideas but when we get our marks back, we'll love 'em ;)

~kiki

HSC
bassistx said:
If I do go ahead with the paperplane, I need to get chicken wire or whatever for the frame. My teacher said I could get it from Bunnings. Does anyone have any rough idea of how much it would be per metre? I haven't gone shopping all holidays and there isn't much time left :S
as far as I know... chicken wire is more pricey then you would think? Maybe about $25 a roll. It is metal after all. I have to warn you though, its pretty dam sharp!!! DEFINATELY buy a good pair of gloves and plyers and stuff or you'll get loads of nasty little cuts all over your hands.

bassistx

HSC
I don't know if I should still do the paperplane thing though. I have to decide before school starts, because then I won't have time to get to Bunnings.
I don't think I'll need more than 3m. So that's okay, it's within my budget. I already have newspapers folded and ready. Should I just go with it or no? :S

~kiki

HSC
bassistx said:
You have to be careful because they mark what you've done so far in April or something. I think that's worth 30%. So you definitely should decide on something fast, after all, it's a major work and you can't afford to start over again.
We all hate our ideas but when we get our marks back, we'll love 'em ;)
Its different for every school. I think, we only got a 30% assessment at the very end- the day that our works were officially due.

bassistx

HSC
~kiki said:
Its different for every school. I think, we only got a 30% assessment at the very end- the day that our works were officially due.
:O Lucky bastards!! I'll have to check when ours is due.. I'm pretty sure sometime around Term2.

~kiki

HSC
bassistx said:
I don't know if I should still do the paperplane thing though. I have to decide before school starts, because then I won't have time to get to Bunnings.
I don't think I'll need more than 3m. So that's okay, it's within my budget. I already have newspapers folded and ready. Should I just go with it or no? :S
theres no harm experimenting during the holidays-- it may be harder then you think, or you may find it doesn't work out how you envision, in which case you can move in a different direction. Just one word of warning. I believe you have to do at least 80% at school, so don't turn up with half your major project done.

~kiki

HSC
bassistx said:
:O Lucky bastards!! I'll have to check when ours is due.. I'm pretty sure sometime around Term2.
yeah, lol :p
but we had two nasty, lengthly diary assessments worth only 15% at the beginning, which really hindered progress on the actually major project.

bassistx

HSC
~kiki said:
theres no harm experimenting during the holidays-- it may be harder then you think, or you may find it doesn't work out how you envision, in which case you can move in a different direction. Just one word of warning. I believe you have to do at least 80% at school, so don't turn up with half your major project done.
Are you serious? 80%? That's arghhh! I can't carry a 1.2mx1.5mx.5m metal frame around, people will think I'm trying to kill somebody. It's too big and dangerous - I catch the bus to school.
I asked my teacher what'd happen if ours were really big.. He said it's okay to leave it at home, but he has to come over and check I'm working on it lol. That's so weird, teacher at my place lol.. And an art teacher, too.. They're all freaks lol.

Sucks about the VAPD entries... How can you write if you don't know?! I only bought a VAPD today!!!!! I haven't done anything. I'm so totally screwed :( I didn't even do any work in class all last term. Our teacher doesn't care, but I know my report is gonna hurt.

hpk

HSC
~kiki said:
who cares about your teachers rules? Its your major project. In the end she can only advise you, she can't stop you. If you feel your idea isn't good enough then change it!! I hadn't finalised my idea until end of term one after the christmas holidays...
I agree with Kiki

Go with what you feel is strong. If your teacher disagrees I recommend not listening to them. Take what they say into consideration, but if it doesn't sit right with you, don't follow them.

I didn't finalise my work until the last month... before that I had been along the same idea, I just hadn't put much into practice. However when I did have something to show my teacher thought it was weak, she wanted me to change all this stuff.. and I was like no.. i've done all this work (even if it was in the last minute) and to change it would be unessessary, I shortened some stuff she didn't like, and cut an unessessary segment- but didn't follow her CRUCIAL advice of removing a "making out" scene, that would stop my work from being exhibited in art express- which she didn't believe it would get into.

and it did. it got in.

and now, she wants to be my best friend, and take credit for my work- which she didn't help me with during the year.

do what you feel is right, and if and when you get advice from your art teacher, consider it, weigh it up, but you don't have to necessarily follow it.

bassistx

HSC
Pop-up books... I want to make a giant pop-up city, pops up out of a suitcase.
Didn't go to Bunnings today because I remembered that idea.

Help, please! I need to decide.. :( Paper plane or pop-up city?

hpk

HSC
bassistx said:
Pop-up books... I want to make a giant pop-up city, pops up out of a suitcase.
Didn't go to Bunnings today because I remembered that idea.

Help, please! I need to decide.. :( Paper plane or pop-up city?
Pop-up city... it'll be smaller... which means it has more chance of being exhibited... plus it sounds exciting.. and untouched i believe in the last few years???

bassistx

HSC
Giant.. lol.. Not small.
Should I make it small?

1 square metre sounds okay. Hm?
But I have nothing to write about it. What is my theme? Portable city? :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)