• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008 Maths Competition (3 Viewers)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Totally got smashed in that. I was pretty much doubtful about every question after Question 9, and I even got that ratio of the area of a triangle to semicircle wrong. :p

Fudge. :(

SimonLee13

HSC
Re: Maths Competition

I stopped trying after question 14, just gave up. So I'll get 40/120 due to some luck. I can't believe I didn't get the circle : triangle ratio question =.=

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC

haha thats was a hard test, after about question 8 they really stepped up a level. what did every put for:

- 1000^2008, how many numerals?
- farmer with tanks
- the length of the rectange against the width Q ( the cross section of the cube was cut up)
-and Q27, about how many intersections occur as u draw lines from the lines midpoints to another midpoint within a cube.

any other questions too

jellybelly59

HSC

addikaye03 said:
haha thats was a hard test, after about question 8 they really stepped up a level. what did every put for:

- farmer with tanks
- the length of the rectange against the width Q ( the cross section of the cube was cut up)
-and Q27, about how many intersections occur as u draw lines from the lines midpoints to another midpoint within a cube.

any other questions too
3 times 2008 + 1

-tal-

HSC

addikaye03 said:

- farmer with tanks

any other questions too
i didn't do the competition, but for the 1000^2008 question it should be 6025 numbers in the answer.

For every power, 3 extra numbers get added to the result. so you do 3 x 2007 (yes, 2007) then add 4 to the answer (2008), since there are 4 numbers in 1000.

ie (3 x 2007) + 4 = 6025

Last edited:

The Kaiser

HSC

Got the First 25, but bombed the last 5 Questions

Waste of time really, valuable time which should have been allocated to English assessment task practice but no...

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A

OMG!

I did the intermediate test (Yr 9 and 10) and after Question 15 i bogged out, except for Question 19 (Geometry).

I reckon that it was a diffiult test, mostly due to so many number theory and counting techniques questions.

But it was a 'beautiful' test, that is, the questions in it were interesting, cunning and perplexing.

For the 1000^2008, i did (1000)2008 then (103)2008 , then 103 x 2008, so there will be 6024 zeroes and 1 one, so there is 6025 digits

Im so annoyed, in the intermediate Q15, the one with the fishtank and how much water rises, i did everthing and then added the 24 to the 60, instead of the 50 and bogged out from there:burn:

Whats the solution to the Int Question 17 - drinking glass tilted 45 degrees with water to base of glass, i had no idea of how to approach this question, besides a crudely drawn diagram : )

Also, the answer to Question 24 intermediate - Equilateral triangle with side in ratio 1:2 intersected?

Also, Q 26 Int 3 right angled triangles together, and Q 30, verticies of 15-gon solutions please.

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC

my school did it yesterday while i was on a uni excursion, i had to do it in my 50minute maths lesson. HARDEST TEST EVER, i guessed the last 10. although im sure most of you all would still be looking at a distinction.

slightly off topic - are these competitions [maths english science ect ect] compulsory at your respective schools?

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Up until the 20th question I'm pretty sure I got most of them right. The next 5 I found difficult. The last 5 I didn't bother wasting my time - either you know it or you don't. I didn't. :p

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A

Zak Ambrose said:
slightly off topic - are these competitions [maths english science ect ect] compulsory at your respective schools?
No, in my school it is optional. But i have herd that in some schools that it is compulsory to an extent, they "expect all students to particiate in it".

And also of topic, it was increadebly ammusing as about half the people in the room which the test was administered got up half way through and said they had had enough and they wanted to leave!!! How funny.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

I got up to Q23. But by then, everybody else had given up and was being very noisy, so I couldn't concentrate anymore.

I know I got the water collection tank question wrong, because I foolishly put the amount of water in ratio 2:5 instead of the volume remaining! Grr. I proberly made more mistakes like that. It's so depressing.

selablad

HSC

I was breezing through till about question 10. Then it just all fell apart. I made educated guesses for the next ten or so, and just put in random numbers for the rest. I did the one about 'cool' numbers though. Just because it had cool in it. I was one of the few people who actually tried after about question 5 :D My friend presented us each with a letter that she'd written on all the extra scribble paper she'd asked for. Very thoughtful I thought.

And - yes it is compulsory at my school...

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

After doing the first 7 questions or so I thought, hmm this actually feels good. Then when I got to the 8th question, I thought fuck, and I was screwed over. So I guessed almost every question after that. Rage.

shaon0

HSC

the-derivative said:
After doing the first 7 questions or so I thought, hmm this actually feels good. Then when I got to the 8th question, I thought fuck, and I was screwed over. So I guessed almost every question after that. Rage.
Was it that hard? Was this Westpac or UNSW?

ahhliss

HSC
N/A

jellybelly59 said:
3 times 2008 + 1
Crap I just did 3x2008. I never really thought it through D: GRR

The water tank I was just like add 10kL into the big tank since the small one was over 50% full and the big tank has more capacity LOL No calculations whatsoever xD

This is Westpac.

bored of sc

HSC

That was hands down the hardest test I've ever completed. First 9 I was confident with but last 21 were too hard. Especially the 5 free response ones. Haha. For questions 21-25 I put B for all of them and for 26-30 I did 328 for all of them. Man, I'll be exceptionally lucky to get 50% in that test. :(

ahhliss

HSC
N/A

I just skipped the free response. 0 to 999 right? A completely random number would give a 1/1000 chance of getting it correct O_O Last year there was an easy question in free response. Counting squares =] My first and last time to get a free response correct...

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

selablad said:
I was breezing through till about question 10. Then it just all fell apart. I made educated guesses for the next ten or so, and just put in random numbers for the rest. I did the one about 'cool' numbers though. Just because it had cool in it. I was one of the few people who actually tried after about question 5 :D My friend presented us each with a letter that she'd written on all the extra scribble paper she'd asked for. Very thoughtful I thought.

And - yes it is compulsory at my school...
What did you get for that? 89? Thats what i got.

ahhliss

HSC
N/A

foram said:
What did you get for that? 89? Thats what i got.
That's the one where numbers have a difference of 1 and are added together to make 2008 or something right? How do you do it? Sequences and series related?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)