2008 NRL Premiership (2 Viewers)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
I've taken the honour of starting the thread. here's my first input - the 2008 nrl draw - http://nrl.com/portals/0/docs/2008_TelstraPremiershipDraw.pdf

they've banked on local derbies to bring in the crowds, which is a good idea.

how do you think your team will go? any names you want to drop to watch out for? and obviously, who do you predict as the eventual premiers?

HSC
I'm hoping the Roosters will continue with their end of season form.

I can't see Freddy Fittler doing worse than the latter years of Ricky Stuart, or Anderson's coaching.

Our new recruits of O'Meley and Aubusson will hopefully go well. And the likes of L. Paea, Perret, Anasta, etc. 2008's looking good.

Like I've said for the past 3 years, anything less than the Top 8 would be disappointing.

historykidd

HSC
I think we (Roosters) are going to miss Wing and particuarly Monoghan alot more than I first thought. However, with Anderson gone and a bit more strength up front I think we can crack the top 8 for sure.

Good to see Perret playing fullback for NZ, he deserves it.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
what happened to kristian inu? is he injured?

roosters is always one of those clubs you expect to go well, but something always happens mid-season and screw them over. hopefully they can do a bit better this year, for the fans' sake.

november is coming, which means the 'anti tempering' deadline is coming. a lot of players on the market. but most of them will stay at the club unless they can't fit under the cap, or another club comes in with a huge stash of money.

:.* Mardi *.:

HSC
I go for Wests, but I can't see thmn "pulling their weight" to make into the finals next season. I really hope they do though. We just don't have much players coming in the weigh up to some of the players we lost.

I am not sure who'll win, but I know Storm will be up there again in the Finals, as well as Cowboys. I wouldn't mind seeing New Zealand come through and have a good year, or the Rabbitohs for that matter.

I think the Roosters will start to play better this coming season too. :)

HSC
im hoping this year the panthers will actually show up. new recruits in petero and woolnough will make our foward pack more imposing and hopefullly inspire our team to some wins this season. unfortunately, we have absolute dogshit halves so i dont expect big things next season. if we were to sneak into the 8 id be very happy.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
that's the spirit, no expectation, so all you will get is nice surprises. penrith has struggled for the entire year, without a whole list of injury like other clubs as well, which is a big concern. i still have no idea why they ditched john lang, as bad as they were going, they weren't collecting spoons, now they are.

i thought prince was the heart and soul for the tigers. he allowed benji the space to do his crazy stuff. now that the whole team's weight is on benji's shoulders, he can't afford to do that anymore, hehas to play conservatively. a huge loss on the tigers part to let prince go, huge.

Muz4PM

HSC
What do we all think of Mason's debarcle at the Bulldogs? Is it an example of Mason getting too big for his boots? Certainly, if he does not return, the Bulldogs have lost one of their leaders and most dynamic attacking weapons.

frontman

HSC
Muz4PM said:
What do we all think of Mason's debarcle at the Bulldogs? Is it an example of Mason getting too big for his boots? Certainly, if he does not return, the Bulldogs have lost one of their leaders and most dynamic attacking weapons.
Well IIRC a $50000 fine has been handed to him for doing missing a grand final lunch and I think thats a bit steep. There must be other matters involved. If Mason goes from the dogs he'll probably have to go the England or France coz I dont think any clubs would be able to fit him under the salary cap.

I go for the Dragons, and they'll suck this year like they do every year but at least now they aren't being trumpeted as premiership favourites like they always are.

HSC
wuddie said:
i thought prince was the heart and soul for the tigers. he allowed benji the space to do his crazy stuff. now that the whole team's weight is on benji's shoulders, he can't afford to do that anymore, hehas to play conservatively. a huge loss on the tigers part to let prince go, huge.
Especially with his shoulders, haha. :) But yeah, I agree.

And for Mason, I heard that if he goes, at least 4 other Bulldogs will leave too.

I can't wait for the Bulldogs to fall to pieces. :D:D

HSC
chocolate_lover said:
Especially with his shoulders, haha. :) But yeah, I agree.

And for Mason, I heard that if he goes, at least 4 other Bulldogs will leave too.

I can't wait for the Bulldogs to fall to pieces. :D:D
you probably also heard if he leaves he will go to the roosters to play under brad fittler.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
the headline today in the telegraph is mason's quote 'it's him or me'. that, to me, shows mason's arrogance and ego is way too big for his own good. the day a club sacks a ceo for the sake of a player is the day that nrl club loses control of its players. and i mean any player, let it be joey johns or thurston or lockyer.

if he leaves, i think he has to go overseas. a, no club can fit him under th cap and b, he is a loose canon.

Muz4PM

HSC
There is talk of Mason going overseas to play as he cannot fit under anyone's salary cap. What are the odds that he go to Rugby? I note that some of you have described him as a loose cannon, which may make him unattractve for the 15 man game, especially when it seems they need 100% dedication from a core group of players in order to improve their performance. (Sorry, didn't want to make it too indepth rugby).

HSC
extraordinary07 said:
you probably also heard if he leaves he will go to the roosters to play under brad fittler.
After writing my previous post here, yes I have.

But wow, some of the things Willie has said makes it sound like he really is going to be a Rooster next year, such as:

Willie Mason said:
I have already been wearing blue and white so another colour is not going to hurt me.
At first I wasn't sure about him possibly coming (although I'm still a little bit wary about it) but I do remember how he defended the Roosters point of view, when he gave it to PHaC on the Footy Show.

Also, the Roosters definitely need that mongrel - it is definitely something that we've been missing.

It is does happen, I'll be happy. If not (but he still leaves the Bulldogs) lol @ the Doggies.

SyCoTiC

HSC
I can see the top 8 shaping up to be (in no particular order):

Roosters (Freddy brings a fresh new attitude and game plan and with a formidable side in the Roosters, they are able to compete with any team in the competition)

Warriors (The infamous issue of consistency in the Warriors will be the same talking point as previous seasons. They boast a talented squad but lacking in the halves which is where it's often required in crunch matches which will once again have them feeling troubled during finals. They'll make it into the finals but won't go far)

Broncos (Made some major signings throughout the season in Wallace, PJ Marsh, Clinton, Sims (the whole lot of 'em) and lost Petero while they were at it. The void he leaves will be a hard one to stop but the 2007 season shows that with a fully fit squad on the field, they could demolish any team especially shown with that 6 game winning streak during mid-season before injury struck them. Expect another roll of the dice at the premiership before Lockyer's retirement)

Cowboys (The signing of Travis Burns will give them most probably the best halves combination in the competition with Thurston and Burns tearing it up. This frees up Bowen even more than he already has and plays as a third receiver if not, free lance playmaker inserting himself into the play when he's ready to. Still a question mark over their defence or lack of)

Storms (The ever meticulous and consistent Storms will most likely see them claim their third consecutive minor premiership. However this season with the loss of various important bench players will see their depth carefully tested after the losses of Newton and Aubusson. Teams have shown some weaknesses in their game and this will once again be tested in 2008)

Dragons (Most probably have the biggest and most talented pool of kids in the entire country to select from yet they have been pronounced as chokers when it comes to the big stage. A fit Head and Soward are a very formidable halves combination and with a talented backline like Chase, Cooper, Gasnier, Hornby and Naiqama will mean that if they can keep a fully fit team on the park they are most definitely a premiership threat)

Sea Eagles (The loss of Monaghan who was the cog in the Sea Eagles' machine is probably going to come back to bite them. However they have more than capable replacements to step up to the task and a solid team across the field. Expect another good showing for the following year)

Eels (Another premiership choker who play consistently for most of the season before hitting the speed bumps just before their finals campaign. The loss of PJ Marsh is a difficult one to replace with the impact he makes off the bench, however rookie Brad Green seems a ready made replacement to fill his shoes)

The same top 8 we saw this year and rightly so (bar the Rabbitohs). Minimal changes to all the sides though there were a few minor ones in key positions that may affect one club more than the other.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
at this point of the season, any team can make the 8 - and i mean any team. the greatest obstacle any team can face is injuries. if a team can keep its injury toll to a minimal, they will make the 8 very very easily. storms and cowboys will be a force again, but not as much as before i'd reckon, team will have the off season to make up plans to break them down.

HSC
I wish Willie would hurry up and make up his mind though...

At this stage it's either Sharks or Roosters... hmmm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)