2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (2 Viewers)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I'm sick of hearing about Fey. She was a mediocre SNL performer and writer at best! Oh how I yearn for Chase, Belushi and Aykroyd to come back, even in their elderly and/or deceased years! :(
Yes but her Palin parody is freakishly close to the real deal which is what really makes it so hilarious.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
A High Way Man said:
If you look at anything close up u'll see pimples. Her C+ performance will give Repubs horrified by Couric etc get back on the bandwagon.

What struck me just then is how close the real Palin was to Tina Fey's parody.

LOL She got the name of the General in Afghanistan wrong

GAFFE FOUND

She has pimples? wot?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I'm sick of hearing about Fey. She was a mediocre SNL performer and writer at best! Oh how I yearn for Chase, Belushi and Aykroyd to come back, even in their elderly and/or deceased years!
Baby Mama and Mean Girls were really good!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
150,000 votes and Drudge is calling it for Palin 72:26
I think I should reassess the independence of my sources

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
If I were voting, i'd be tempted to switch to Obama based on that shit. I'm more comfortable with the GOP policies, but have little faith in the competence behind them. It really is a scary thought that she could possibly become president. Much gnashing of teeth

McCain gambled and lost. Gotta luva long shot!
Some actuarial companies gave McCain a 25% chance of dying during his term. If I were a yank I wouldn't be willing to take a 1 in 4 gamble of Palin being president.

The reason I hate Palin so much is she uses the word 'maverick' in the most stupid situations. Like "Miss Palin, why do you support aerial hunting of wolves?" "Because I'm a maverick."

McCain does too, but at least he knows what it means.

Also:

The VP Debate: The Strangest I've Ever Seen

Exactly an hour into the debate, Joe Biden began an answer by saying, "Facts matter, Gwen."

To him, maybe. To Sarah Palin, maybe not. The pattern, so far, has been one of Biden presenting facts and Palin countering with… saying stuff. Sometimes she throws in a fact, but mostly she seems to be offering a string of approximate policy positions, encomiums to the American spirit, disputed interpretations of Barack Obama's record and anecdotes from Alaska.

She has a certain charm, but I wonder how viewers are reacting to the way she just declines to answer the question at hand and pivots to more solid ground. I had forgotten how effective Biden can be in these debates. So far, he hasn't been patronizing or insulting. In terms of working-class street cred, Palin is in a league – or a universe – of her own. (Don't ya think?) But Biden holds his own.

I confess, though, I don't know what anybody is making of this. I don't even know what I'm making of it. This is the strangest debate I've ever seen. It seems like an interplanetary exchange, with poor Gwen Ifill trying to keep the Enterprise from falling into the wormhole.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2008/10/the_vp_debate_the_strangest_iv.html

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think if Biden actually addressed her - impatiently and aggressively - on the shoddy way she was(nt) answering questions, then it would have been a much more decisive victory for Obama. But still, he came across as competent and qualified and she came across as hepped up on goofballs - HOW COULD SHE MANAGE THAT PLASTERED GRIN WHEN SHE WAS STRUGGLING TO FORM SENTENCES?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Haha, I agree entirely with the washinton post quote above. Palin was effective but terrible. That was such a strange debate. Is anyone else having trouble believing what they were hearing??

I can't get over her opening line:

You know, I think a good barometer here, as we try to figure out has this been a good time or a bad time in America's economy, is go to a kid's soccer game on Saturday, and turn to any parent there on the sideline and ask them, "How are you feeling about the economy?"

This is A grade, 100% bullshit rhetoric. Soccer mums as the barometer of the economy? (not even struggling female workers who don't have the time/money to attend weekend sports). This is legally blonde become reality. She presents well, and she is a good speaker - I can't fault her there. But someone who lacks the knowledge required to form a sensible/safe answer to 'Which is more dangerous: Iran or Pakistan?' simply can't be viewed as an appropriate vice presidential candidate.

Scary times.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
150,000 votes and Drudge is calling it for Palin 72:26
I think I should reassess the independence of my sources
I suspect so.

"Biden won the CBS poll of undecideds 46-21, and the CNN poll of debate watchers 51-36. Independents in the large MediaCurves focus group panel went for Biden about 2:1."

And I agree - Biden could have gotten away with at least one aggressive, firm shot in at Palin. I think people were expecting it (rather than be turned off by it), considering how much she makes up crazy blather.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
KFunk said:
You know, I think a good barometer here, as we try to figure out has this been a good time or a bad time in America's economy, is go to a kid's soccer game on Saturday, and turn to any parent there on the sideline and ask them, "How are you feeling about the economy?"

This is A grade, 100% bullshit rhetoric. Soccer mums as the barometer of the economy?
Reading too much into it, me thinks. She clearly means that people are feeling bad about the economy, and hence any dunce can work out how totally uncool it is atm. Ye know?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Na, she was totally blatant in dropping the hocky-mum stuff, and that was a bizarre way to do it - as if people are reassured that their leaders, like them, know nothing about the economy

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hahaha. I swear there's a mass conspiracy afoot to hush up the fact that she gave the worst debate in the history of the world. I'm not sure I want that ticket near the bombs now

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Guys, these debates are pretty much inconsequential.

this presidential election, like all others, will not be decided by 100% of the electorate. most of the electorate map has already been conceded to one party, or another (eg: california to the dems, texas to the Reps, etc). In reality, the entire campaign is ONLY about the few % of the electorate that is in the middle, and also happens to reside in a few key "battleground" states. the majority of dem voters will vote dem, even if mickey mouse is their candidate. and the majority of rep voters will vote rep, even if sarah palin is their candidate.

palin's job is NOT to capture these floating independent voters. The reason she was put on the rep ticket was because the hardline base of the rep party has always been uncomfortable with McCain. her presence was only intended to satisfy them. Its mcCain himself who is going to appeal to floating independents, not palin.

All that being said, in the end, "its the economy, stupid". Which rather sinks mccain.no matter which way you look at it. either by blaming reps for presiding over an economic crisis, or by looking at McCain, and his stumbling attempts at understanding economic issues (he admits he doesn't have much of a clue).

If osama bin ladin/al-queda sits still for the next 2 months, Obama wins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)