• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008 Science Paper. (1 Viewer)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Answer this question for me. I am completely blank.

A significant issue facing Australia is the provision of adequate water
supplies. Some strategies to address this issue that have been discussed in
the media are:
• increasing water storage
• decreasing water usage
• increasing water collection options
• recycling.
Describe TWO environmental problems associated with any of the strategies
listed above and identify a suitable strategy for providing water in the future,
giving reasons for your choice. (7 marks)

Xc3llerator

HSC
N/A
Answer this question for me. I am completely blank.

A significant issue facing Australia is the provision of adequate water
supplies. Some strategies to address this issue that have been discussed in
the media are:
• increasing water storage
• decreasing water usage
• increasing water collection options
• recycling.
Describe TWO environmental problems associated with any of the strategies
listed above and identify a suitable strategy for providing water in the future,
giving reasons for your choice. (7 marks)
well increasing water storage will destory more forests/habitats for animals, less trees, more carbon dioxide..etc...Recycling...The water can only be recycled so many times until it would get so contaiminated that it would be too hard to purify, therefore humans would get diseased...

Decreasing water usage can cause dehydration (in extreme conditons) and plants may die from lack of water...

Inceasing water collection options...errr maybe cost too much money?, too much water will be collected from the environment disrupting the water cycle lol?--random..this ones hard.

Hope I helped. Thats what iw would say in a exam

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
well increasing water storage will destory more forests/habitats for animals, less trees, more carbon dioxide..etc...Recycling...The water can only be recycled so many times until it would get so contaiminated that it would be too hard to purify, therefore humans would get diseased...

Decreasing water usage can cause dehydration (in extreme conditons) and plants may die from lack of water...

Inceasing water collection options...errr maybe cost too much money?, too much water will be collected from the environment disrupting the water cycle lol?--random..this ones hard.

Hope I helped. Thats what iw would say in a exam
Thanks =)

My head went completely blank

xSkyla

HSC
- increasing water storage
Increasing water storage would result in the destruction of the natural environment (trees, animals etc) and maybe even the human environment. - buildings and houses may have to be relocated or the government would have to buy them as you would have to make room for it? -

Money issues? Would cost a lot to construct

- decreasing water usage = less water for crops, especially in drought. Food surplus might be affected as a result.

Strageties::

Desalination? Although thats a bit of a controversial topic.....

Try looking on google. I searched through a few websites but none of them really point out on solutions. Maybe im just bad at gathering information?

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
In the future, the quality of our lives and the environment will depend on how society deals with problems such as climate change, natural events and how we obtain and use energy.
Evaluate an impact of an environmental problem. In your answer, show how science can help reduce the impact on society and the environment.
Environmental problem

Someone suggest ideas. (8 marks)

These questions are giving me blanks. Maybe I don't have the same adrenaline pumping through me as in a test.

salih08

HSC
In the future, the quality of our lives and the environment will depend on how society deals with problems such as climate change, natural events and how we obtain and use energy.
Evaluate an impact of an environmental problem. In your answer, show how science can help reduce the impact on society and the environment.
Environmental problem

Someone suggest ideas. (8 marks)

These questions are giving me blanks. Maybe I don't have the same adrenaline pumping through me as in a test.
just start writing with a bit of what you know and u will suddenly see u have wrote the whole thing.

eg.

Climate change is a serious issue which can cause major problems. As Carbon dioxide increases due to the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation, it traps gases in the atmosphere increasing the Earth's average temperature. This results in the melting of Ice Bergs which raised sea water levels. As water levels raise, lands at low altitude are submerged by the water. Already, some islands have been sinked due to this problem.

Science can help resolve this issue by finding alternatives to fossil fuels which do not release carbon dioxide. ??? or creating some sort of freezing system to freeze the water back into ice bergs :D

supre

HSC
i think i have answered a similar question before in the SC marathon but i think we could take about earthquakes and tsunami as natural disasters and science has helped by inventing seismographs and tsunami indicators which usually occur at the same time anyway.

correct me if i am wrong, please
:angel:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)