2008 U.S. Election (1 Viewer)

williams180

HSC
Re: 2008 US Election

Schroedinger said:
I use the term military-industrial-complex also because it's an obvious example of a serious legislative problem.

Standing armies are a serious mistake.
if thats not the most riduculous thing i have heard ill be damned. Standing armies are a mistake are u joking i mean please?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A

iEdd said:
Fair enough, but wouldn't it be better to prevent a problem than wait until it happens and then fight it? Is there some big disadvantage I'm missing?
The disadvantage is that excess legislation creates bloat, wastes time and in this case could discourage investment in the industry.

williams180

HSC

Schroedinger said:
No way in hell am I joking, Standing Armies are a massive governmental spending glut that promote corruption and a militaristic attitude. It's not like if we didn't have a standing army we'd all of a sudden be invaded and forced to read decent newspapers...

"Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army." - Edward Everett.

It's very true. If you have a standing army then you openly accept militaristic culture and the militaristic mindset. Several US presidents have warned against Standing Armies, not least of all Eisenhower. Bush has also not been in favour of Standing armies and is working his hardest to eradicate all of their members :)
i cant really argue with that. If all nations openly reduced their armies then yes the USA and other large militarily sector employed nations would not need standing armies. However for now the USA is on edge about places such as Iran, Nth Korea , Afghanistan , Iraq and Pakistan so for now it is necessary. Global peace would be a desired result but until then a nation needs a standing army to safegaurd its people.

Muz4PM

HSC
I admit I come in a little late and a little off topic, but I am going to talk a little about the candidates.

I am a Republican supporter, and I believe that Fred Thompson would be a good president. He embodies all I think the Republican heartland like to get the nomination as well as having a large and positive proflie, not only as an actor but also as a good politician with good ideas.

However, I think he runs second at the moment to Rudy. I think in terms of finance Rudy leads from Romney, Thompson, McCain and then I think Paul?
In terms of polling I think Rudy leads from Thompson the McCain and Romney. I am not sure McCain is a chance, he seems to be failing badly in terms of finances, I am not sure Romney has the polling numbers in comparison to his colleagues to garner a great challenge, however he does have deep pockets.

However, as a Republican it is disturbing to look at the Republicans who lead the finances, having about 18 million on hand, give or take. Then look at Obama and Hillary to see that the have about 30-35 million on hand, about double.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)