2009 HSC English Texts - What are you studying? (1 Viewer)

What level of English do you study?

• English as a Second Language (ESL)

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Standard English

Votes: 128 21.9%
  • Advanced English

Votes: 361 61.8%
  • Extension English

Votes: 166 28.4%

• Total voters

lolokay

HSC
Re: English Level

Sarah182 said:
Don't you mean we're?
4 unit English you say?
and its

why can't you write we're in the HSC? what else can't you write?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

lolokay said:
and its

Depends, if you're writing something like a creative or something where you wanna sound more colloquial-ish, then there's no harm in using contractions. But in essays, you shouldn't use it. But since we're just talking now, I see no reason why we can't you we're.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Aerath said:
Depends, if you're writing something like a creative or something where you wanna sound more colloquial-ish, then there's no harm in using contractions. But in essays, you shouldn't use it. But since we're just talking now, I see no reason why we can't you we're.
But you wouldn't use a contraction in an extended response though, like I wouldn't - because it sounds horrible in my opinion. Also in an extended response, you'd tend to be 3rd person, and most conjunctions are 1st?

ratcher0071

HSC

lolokay said:
and its

using contractions is a way of not demonstrating your use of the english language. Things like can't, don't, they're, we're, are just a smaller version of
can not, do not, they are, we are. Normally you would use contractions if you're (YOU ARE :D) in a hurry.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

Aerath said:
Dang it! I thought it was just an urban myth :mad1:

Aplus

HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:
But you wouldn't use a contraction in an extended response though
I think he did mention that, and I quote, "But in essays, you shouldn't use it."

JOSH.

HSC
Extension English 1:
UTOPIA IS DEAD! WOOOOOO!
We're doing Romanticism. I know one of our texts is 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte.
And for Advanced we've been told to find texts on Belonging, and that one of our modules will compare 'Blade Runner' and 'Frankenstein'.

Haven't had a lesson for either of them yet. Hopefully I'll get to see the course outline + texts soon.

jellybelly59

HSC
i just got my finalised list of my texts today... and they are for Advanced english:

AOS - belonging: The poetry of emily dickenson
Module A: Pride and Prejudice and letters to alice
Module B: Hamlet
Module C: The Queen (film)

Extension English:

Wuthering Heights, Northanger Abbey and some poetry

untitled....

HSC
received a course outline for Advanced...

AOS - Poetry- Peter Skrzynecki
Module A: Richard III and Looking for Richard (film)
Module B: Jane Eyre :confused:
Module C: History & Memory- Fiftieth Gate

JOSH.

HSC
Aplus said:
I thought Utopia was pretty interesting :confused:
It was initially, but then we studied 'News from Nowhere' by William Morris. The whole class was so bored of it by the end.
The only enjoyment I got out of it was from my related texts, '1984' by George Orwell and 'Blade Runner', it was compulsory to do a film for the second 'Utopia' assignment. And now we're studying it this year :D
But yeah, Morris and Moore bored the crap out of me.
We spent 2 terms on it and all our teacher did was sit down in the centre of our semi-circle and read. :|
It didn't really stimulate any class discussions either, so she kept reading, whereas when we studied fairytales everyone in the room ended up screaming at eachother.

JOSH.

HSC
We just got our book lists.
I called my mum and said, "This lot won't come cheap Mum", she didn't get it so I said "There's only one place we're going to get all of this...Diagon Alley".
Still didn't get it. -_-'

Anyway for Advanced we need to buy 'Immigrant Chronicle' by Skrynecki, 'Frankenstein', 'Blade Runner' and 'Julius Caeser' and we're getting a stimulus booklet of Belonging poetry that will have prescribed texts in it.

For Extension 1 we need to get 'Northanger Abbey', 'Wuthering Heights', 'Samuel Taylor Coleridge: The Complete Poems' and 'Romanticism' (Cambridge literature book) by David Stevens...eh.

Those are my texts...cbf to apply them to the appropriate module, lol.

untitled....

HSC
JOSH. said:
I called my mum and said, "This lot won't come cheap Mum", she didn't get it so I said "There's only one place we're going to get all of this...Diagon Alley".

Anyway for Advanced we need to buy 'Immigrant Chronicle' by Skrynecki, 'Frankenstein', 'Blade Runner' and 'Julius Caeser' and we're getting a stimulus booklet of Belonging poetry that will have prescribed texts in it.

For Extension 1 we need to get 'Northanger Abbey', 'Wuthering Heights', 'Samuel Taylor Coleridge: The Complete Poems' and 'Romanticism' (Cambridge literature book) by David Stevens...eh.

That's a lot!

HSC
JOSH. said:

LOL

aLexTasyy

HSC
out here in the western suburbs we are doing:
AOS: Belonging: The Simple Gift-Steven Herrick
Module A: Experience through language: The Shoe-horn Sonata (this has distinctively visual drama next to it)
Module B: Prose Fiction: The curious incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Module C: Billy Elliot- Film

JOSH.

HSC
ZEROtheHERO said:
GUESS WHAT!
I HAVE TICKETS TO THE TWILIGHT PREMIERE!!!111!1one!one11one
So excited. I don't know you, I just saw Edward in your avatar and had to brag about it to someone who's not sick of me saying it.
I have all 3 trailers on my iPod and I watch them daily, hahaha.
I know this is probably the wrong thread...there's bound to be an off-topic Twilight thread, but I'm new here, so...meh. I'll find it soon.

Aerath said:
Yeah so did I. I liked it heaps.
I liked it and also found it interesting, but by the end I was bored because we did it for so, so, so, so, so long. I wanted to study something new and fresh. We were just going in circles and didn't really do anything interactive in class. We just sat there listening to our teacher read.
This year will be better. We'll probably start having discussions/fights and presentations again.
Our teacher hated Utopia and had it scrapped from Year 11 2009, even though she's not teaching it. It just went on for way too long.
If anything, I disliked the prescribed texts (Utopia/News from Nowhere) more than I disliked the concept. My interest for it started going down when I read 'The Communist Manifesto'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)