2009 HSC English Texts - What are you studying? (1 Viewer)

What level of English do you study?

• English as a Second Language (ESL)

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Standard English

Votes: 128 21.9%
  • Advanced English

Votes: 361 61.8%
  • Extension English

Votes: 166 28.4%

• Total voters

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: English Texts

Wish we did Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

HSC
2009 advanced english texts

anybody know what texts they are doing for the HSC course
We are doing Frankenstein, blade runner and julius ceaser
not very interesting i would have to say

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Re: 2009 advanced english texts

Melisoverschool said:
anybody know what texts they are doing for the HSC course
We are doing Frankenstein, blade runner and julius ceaser
not very interesting i would have to say
most people enjoy doing bladerunner, apparantly its quite interesting

emma12

HSC

We're doing:
- Pride and Prejudice
- Letters to Alice
- Hamlet
- Wag the Dog
- Immigrant Chronicle (for the Area of Study)

Binoy

HSC

I'm doing Snow Faliing on Cedars, As You Like It, and W;t

FUN.sized

HSC

We're doing Hamlet, Blade Runner and Frankenstein.
Frankenstein should be good because this year we did Gothic Fiction in Ext 1 and we watched Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein as a related text. Man, I love that movie.

bubblesss

HSC

apparently we're doing
letters to alice
the simple gift
pride and prejudice, though i wanted to do frankenstein.:(

jet

Banned
HSC

We're doing:
- Frankenstein and Bladerunner comparison
-Hamlet study
- The fiftieth gate study [i think we need extra related texts for this]
- Emily Dickinson [AOS - Belonging]

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

my class found out what we are doing for ext. english

MODULE C: Language and Values
Elective 2: Language and Gender

In this elective students explore through texts drawn from a range of media the idea that part of the role of language is to express and create the social identity of the speaker, of which gender is an important element. Students investigate, challenge and evaluate the ways in which language can be used to construct, perform or conceal masculine or feminine aspects of identity and their associated values through characters, voices and contexts. Language may express gender, but it also may provide a means of escaping strict limitations of conventional roles and values. There is a dynamic spectrum of possibilities and great flexibility in texts, as composers create voices and characters, and as characters themselves explore and challenge language and gender codes. Texts provide a playful and experimental space in which composers explore questions of identity through their language.

In this elective students are required to study at least three of the prescribed texts as well as other texts of their own choosing. In their responding and composing they explore, analyse, experiment with and critically evaluate their prescribed texts and a range of other examples in this elective. Texts should be drawn from a range of contexts and media and should reflect the interrelationships between language, gender and values.

And with texts (i think)

Prose Fiction
• Woolf, Virginia, Orlando, Penguin Modern Classics, 2004, ISBN-13: 9780141187747
Drama
• Shakespeare, William, Twelfth Night, New Cambridge Shakespeare, Cambridge University Press,
2004, ISBN-13: 9780521535144; or Cambridge School Shakespeare, 2006, ISBN-13:
Film
• Kapur, Shekhar, Elizabeth, Universal, 1999

bubblesss

HSC

advanced english
we're doing - the simple gift, pride and prejudice and letters to alice.

Finx

HSC
Re: English Level

Adv + Ex1.

Hate English. Wanna know how I see it?
"
USE THIS STRICT FORMAT FOR WRITING.
HOWEVER, WRITE WITH FLAIR AND USE UNIQUE CONCEPTS.
BUT MAKE SURE TO STICK EXACTLY TO THE FORMAT.
DON'T OVER-DO THE FLAIR, OR WE'LL MARK YOU DOWN.
BUT MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE IT, BECUASE US MARKERS GET BORED OF MARKING."

edit: most likely dropping to advanced next term

bawd

HSC

Finx said:
Adv + Ex1.

Hate English. Wanna know how I see it?
"
USE THIS STRICT FORMAT FOR WRITING.
HOWEVER, WRITE WITH FLAIR AND USE UNIQUE CONCEPTS.
BUT MAKE SURE TO STICK EXACTLY TO THE FORMAT.
DON'T OVER-DO THE FLAIR, OR WE'LL MARK YOU DOWN.
BUT MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE IT, BECUASE US MARKERS GET BORED OF MARKING."

edit: most likely dropping to advanced next term
LOL.

I've never seen English in such a manner, but lol.

HSC

marcquelle said:
Are you in Advanced, Standard, ESL, Ext 1 & What are you texts for Year Twelve(12)?

I'm in Adv. English and our texts are

AREA OF STUDY: Belonging
Poetry
Skrzynecki, Peter, Immigrant Chronicle, University of Queensland Press, 2002, ISBN-13:
‘Feliks Skrzynecki’, ‘St Patrick’s College’, ‘Ancestors’, ‘10 Mary Street’, ‘Migrant Hostel’,
‘Postcard’, ‘In the Folk Museum’

MODULE A: Comparative Study of Texts and Context
Elective 2: Texts in Time
Prose Fiction and Film
• Shelley, Mary, Frankenstein, Penguin Red Classics, 2006, ISBN-13: 9780141024448 AND
• Scott, Ridley, Blade Runner (Director’s Cut), Warner Bros, 1982

MODULE B: Critical Study of Texts

Nonfiction
Speeches:
Margaret Atwood – ‘Spotty-Handed Villainesses’, 1994
Paul Keating – ‘Funeral Service of the Unknown Australian Soldier’, 1993
Noel Pearson – ‘An Australian History for Us All’, 1996
Aung San Suu Kyi – ‘Keynote Address at the Beijing World Conference on Women’, 1995
Faith Bandler –‘Faith, Hope and Reconciliation’, 1999
Deane, William – ‘It is Still Winter at Home’, 1999
Anwar Sadat – Speech to the Israeli Knesset, 1977

MODULE C: Representation and Text
Elective 1: Conflicting Perspectives
Shakespearean Drama
• Shakespeare, William, Julius Caesar, Cambridge University Press, New Cambridge Shakespeare,
2004, ISBN-13: 9780521535137; or Cambridge School Shakespeare, 1992, ISBN-13:
i like this selection.

Ext. we are still to decide by I like the sound of:
MODULE B: Texts and Ways of Thinking
Elective 1: After the Bomb

In this elective students explore texts which relate to the period from the dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki up to the collapse of the Soviet Union and the dismantling of the Berlin Wall. A climate of Cold War anxiety permeates these texts in a number of ways. The texts mayemerge from, respond to, critique, and shape our understanding of ways of thinking during this period.Many of these texts have a common focus on the personal and political ramifications of this era. They are often characterised by an intensified questioning of humanity and human beliefs and values. Experimentation with ideas and form may reflect or challenge ways of thinking during this period.

In this elective, students are required to study at least three of the prescribed texts, two of which must be print texts, as well as other texts of their own choosing. In their responding and composing they explore, analyse, experiment with and critically evaluate their prescribed texts and a range of other appropriate examples. Texts should be drawn from a range of contexts and media, and should reflect the personal and political concerns of the post-war period)

OR

MODULE B: Texts and Ways of Thinking
Elective 3: Navigating the Global

In the late 20th century and early 21st century, the development towards a global culture has blurred traditional concepts and boundaries of time and space. Knowledge, values and culture have become at once global and local through the globalisation of communications. Choice and circumstance have
created a range of individual and community responses to this changing reality: some have embraced or warily accepted it, while others have challenged or retreated from it. The ideas, language forms, features and structures of texts may reflect or challenge ways of thinking during this period.

In this elective students are required to study at least three of the prescribed texts, two of which must be print texts, as well as other texts of their own choosing. In their responding and composing they explore, analyse, experiment with and critically evaluate their prescribed texts and a range of other
appropriate examples. Texts should be drawn from a range of contexts and media and should reflect the relationships between the global and the local and the significance of these relationships to the life of the individual and their community.

hey since all of you guys r so great in english can u give me tips on how to do well in the school certificate? i always get a band 6 in my writing task but multiple choice is a different story. any one here got tips on how to do well in english multiple choice?

bawd

HSC

marcquelle said:
my class found out what we are doing for ext. english

MODULE C: Language and Values
Elective 2: Language and Gender

In this elective students explore through texts drawn from a range of media the idea that part of the role of language is to express and create the social identity of the speaker, of which gender is an important element. Students investigate, challenge and evaluate the ways in which language can be used to construct, perform or conceal masculine or feminine aspects of identity and their associated values through characters, voices and contexts. Language may express gender, but it also may provide a means of escaping strict limitations of conventional roles and values. There is a dynamic spectrum of possibilities and great flexibility in texts, as composers create voices and characters, and as characters themselves explore and challenge language and gender codes. Texts provide a playful and experimental space in which composers explore questions of identity through their language.

In this elective students are required to study at least three of the prescribed texts as well as other texts of their own choosing. In their responding and composing they explore, analyse, experiment with and critically evaluate their prescribed texts and a range of other examples in this elective. Texts should be drawn from a range of contexts and media and should reflect the interrelationships between language, gender and values.

And with texts (i think)

Prose Fiction
• Woolf, Virginia, Orlando, Penguin Modern Classics, 2004, ISBN-13: 9780141187747
Drama
• Shakespeare, William, Twelfth Night, New Cambridge Shakespeare, Cambridge University Press,
2004, ISBN-13: 9780521535144; or Cambridge School Shakespeare, 2006, ISBN-13:
Film
• Kapur, Shekhar, Elizabeth, Universal, 1999
I think we're doing gendered language as well. Wish Deborah Tannen was still on the texts list; quite an invigorating read she is. Did horribly in my Extension 1 Preliminary today, i.e. I slept through the last 40 minutes. :mad1:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

Standard. I'm sort of regretting it now, if I had a choice now I might go Advanced. Oh well, I hate writing to a format.

jellybelly59

HSC

digimonstudent said:
hey since all of you guys r so great in english can u give me tips on how to do well in the school certificate? i always get a band 6 in my writing task but multiple choice is a different story. any one here got tips on how to do well in english multiple choice?
im not as pro as the rest of these guys are at english but with multiple choice make sure you know what the question is asking and look for the MOST correct answer and when you answer the questions make sure you understand the whole text even if it requires you another 5 minutes. skip it if you don't know and come back to it. English school certificate is also dominated by language techniques so you have to also know them quite well too :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)