• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2009 UTS civil engineering students (1 Viewer)

bigboyjames01

Banned
HSC
so who is coming to UTS or considering UTS!?
ask your questions here about the course and what not.

Zygoten

HSC
N/A
I've just been offered a place, but I don't know if I'm going to accept. I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the school or about Australia for that matter. That's why I googled UTS and got to this forum. Trying to figure out if Sydney and UTS is any good.

/Zygoten

Zygoten

HSC
N/A
The city of sydney...and I'm from sweden. I don't really even remember when I applied :) so I have a lot of questions about the schools and australia as whole.

Is UTS a good school for engineering?
What is UAI (read it all over the forum)?
Can international students get internships? if so, is it harder for us?
etc..etc..etc..

/Malko

bigboyjames01

Banned
HSC
sydney is ok. nothing special to tell you the truth. im born and bread here and i would say its gone worse in the last 5 years because of politicians.

night life is shit. ill be honest about that, just depends where your living though.

the engineering school is pretty good. UTS has a very good reputation for CIVIL engineering.
UAI is 85. nearly all unis have a UAI entry mark between 80-90.
but to tell you the truth the UAI is all bullshit. people can get in with 70+.

i would say its harder to get an internship if your a full on FOB. your pretty much fucked if your hard core FOB. i mean, if you have trouble socializing with people outside your own ethnic group and it takes you a while to string up a sentence you should give up. lol im joking, it will jsut be harder thats all. some intern ship do say they only want AUSTRALIANS /PREEMINENT RESIDENTS TO APPLY. however, ive only seen that on some interns.

look, if you can speak good English, and can socialize like a normal person you will be fine to get an internship.

Zygoten

HSC
N/A
It is civil engineering I've been accepted to.
But you misunderstood me about UAI, I wanted to know what it means, but maybe it doesn't really matter because it sounds like a measuring tool and I've already got accepted.

What's FOB?
Anyway I'm a VERY social person and usually get friends very easy, and don't even like my ethnic group haha :).

I've been offered a place at a VERY good uni in USA also, so I need to make up my mind until next week. Sydney is way better than Iowa USA, but USA is much bigger and maybe better when it comes to finding jobs during and/or after graduation. And also, I don't know about oz, but USA has very low income taxes. On the other hand ALL countries have low taxes compared to communist Sweden hahaha :D

I know it's to many questions, but I know zero about australia. You don't have to answer (more will come if you do) if you don't feel you want to.

does it rain much in sydney?
and how expensive is it to live near campus?

/Zygoten

bigboyjames01

Banned
HSC
Zygoten said:
It is civil engineering I've been accepted to.
But you misunderstood me about UAI, I wanted to know what it means, but maybe it doesn't really matter because it sounds like a measuring tool and I've already got accepted.

What's FOB?
Anyway I'm a VERY social person and usually get friends very easy, and don't even like my ethnic group haha :).

I've been offered a place at a VERY good uni in USA also, so I need to make up my mind until next week. Sydney is way better than Iowa USA, but USA is much bigger and maybe better when it comes to finding jobs during and/or after graduation. And also, I don't know about oz, but USA has very low income taxes. On the other hand ALL countries have low taxes compared to communist Sweden hahaha :D

I know it's to many questions, but I know zero about australia. You don't have to answer (more will come if you do) if you don't feel you want to.

does it rain much in sydney?
and how expensive is it to live near campus?

/Zygoten
im not sure how much it costs near campus, but you can live on campus for around $200 a week i think. you get 3 meals a day and a few other shit... umm, FOB means fresh off the boat/ import. you can check the income taxes in australia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_Australia

when you graduate you will probably be on around $50-55K

allot of people think of Australia as "White". i would say is of anglo -saxon majority. however, Sydney is a very diverse place. a lot of people from the far east, sub contentment...middle east..well just about every place on earth. its very very multicultural....there are some parts of sydney where you wont even feel like you in Australia....it may be like the middle east....or India....or china....just depends where your living.

i really cant compare Sydney to USA.

umm, wait for some other replies about the USA offer. i really wouldn't want to advise you on anything i dont know.... wait for a poster by the name of MUSK....he knows the inside and out for civil engineering and UTS and may be able to give you some extra advise.

Zygoten

HSC
N/A
ok, thanx for your answers ;-)

but 50k doesn't sound much...is it much in australia or are engineers just underpaid there?

/Zygoten

ps: It's funny that I'm actually considering oz because of the person in your signature won ;-) (yes I'm a McCain fan)

Last edited:

bigboyjames01

Banned
HSC
50K is shit...but within 3yrs you should be on around 80K and around 100K within 5. if your not your a retard.

savio23q

Band
HSC
On a scale of 1-10 how hard is civil engineering for a student that didnt take any sciences during their HSC and has decent maths skills?

bigboyjames01

Banned
HSC
you dont need science, maybe just for physics in first semester first year....other than that your set.

you should be doing minimum 2 unit maths

zirconian

HSC
Hey I am pretty much 100% sure i would choose UTS over UNSW if i got offer from both Unis. In the context of civil engineering how is uts - eg which building is timetable flexible, how are the tutors (lecturers) and how are the facilities and size of rooms etc?

Also, I feel I might not get the required UAI of 85, is there a possibility of me still getting in? I heard engineering never gets filled, so does the UAI get lowered?

Zygoten

HSC
N/A
I don't even know what UAI means, but I got in and I think I'm going to accept...cheers ;)

/Zygoten

bigboyjames01

Banned
HSC
if your Jew you wont be able you go into building 1 and building 2. building 1 is the main tower building (around 33 stories high) and a lot of engineering classes happen in building 2 as well because it is the "engineering building". this will mean you will have to make a group of Jew friends and petition the uni for an extra Jew "dedicated" class. problem is that there arnt that many Jews in Australia and the world so you may have some troubles. if you cannot get 10 jews in a group you will not be permitted to go to any of the classes but just read lecture notes online and get a non jew friend to get you tutorial notes. another set back is jews and non jews hate each other so try to hide the star of david around your neck.

cheers.

edit: an example of such issues arising is ari89 the Jew. he faces discrimination every day.

Last edited:

dim987654321

HSC
dude i just finished first year. apparently Civil engineering was filled this year and they had problems fitting classes (thats what some of my tutors said). so yeah your screwed if your not going to get around AT LEAST 80 cos i'm sure the UAI cut off will be higher this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)