2012 Open Day thoughts? (1 Viewer)

SoresuMakashi

HSC
I wasn't there for long, but overall, it seemed like a decent day. Lectures were okay, advisory was good, and the new library is nice. As a side note, the website/FAQ is pretty impressive IMO. Also, I spam-printed free coffee coupons.

What did everyone else think?

Last edited:

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
USYD and MU are alright. MU has decent Actuarial lectures (Maths FARRRRRRGGGHHH not as good as UNSW or USYD), but UNSW has the best open day imo.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Did anyone go to the block where there was the science things?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Very impressed. I think I've decided where I shall be going to now.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Good old Macquarie lake.

Yeah they've been setting up for it all week. Hopefully it was of some value to you guys.

addoil

HSC
Good:
- Transport-wise it's too convenient to be true!
- Macquarie centre :D
- I think they did the stalls the best out of USYD/UNSW/MQ... everything is ACTUALLY located in one, solid place; and the lecture sessions were very easy to find since they were pretty much on the single walkway
- Performances and activities were very interactive (eg. camels, dancers, that huge cute bear, and people on stalks etc)

BAD:
- Lack of diversity in the lectures that were offered (well then again they don't have as many faculties as the other 2 unis so i guess that's acceptable)
- No freebies ): ...except water and slurpies...which I thought was weird since MQ is supposed to be so rich from all the international students
- Lecture rooms were sooo hot but that's ok :) but their chair-desks tend to slide off very easily.. and lol @ armless chairs >.<
- Phone reception is SO bad it's not even funny...

MQ is good for business and law, shit for everything else
I agree with MQ business but not sure about the law there?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Law is pretty good at Macquarie. I can definitely vouch for it, despite the turbulence the law school went through a few years ago.

Phone reception on the other hand is shocking.

HSC
Uni Grad
I went there too, was going to go to the library and study, but I stumbled upon open day:

Pros:

Pretty good transportation links
Mac shopping center is nearby (Y)
There's a boost on campus xD

Cons:

Shitty reception in the library building :/
No freebies (ffs, was expecting MQ open day to be better than UNSWs)
Couldn't go into the actuarial lecture; I was 5 min late and I got cut off :/

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Wait till you get into some of the lecture theatres. My phone defaults to emergency mode, which is pretty annoying because I'm literally disconnected with the outside world.

Tip though, you could still send text messages via iMessage (if you have an iPhone) through campus Wifi. Pretty limiting and frustrating solution, but it's been useful on some occasions where I needed to contact somebody and reception was lacking.

You'd think that with the surplus funds Schwartz was talking about last financial year they'd finally address this problem.

C

Chayum

Enjoyed it and finalised my UAC preferences.

Just a thought, maybe they restrict the signal to keep students concentrated.
CONSPIRACY.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Open Day: The one day the uni doesn't look anything like it does during the rest of the year.

Memento-mori

HSC
The open day for Macquarie was fairly good and organised. It had a relaxing atmosphere to it, and I loved the Philosphy talk , that was the definite highlight for me :) I do wish however that there were more MQ students. I don't mean the students wearing red t-shirts or the societies, but if you went to the UTS or Notre Dame open day and students were everywhere, you'd know what I mean.

Macquarie has an excellent reputation for psychology and health sciences.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
The open day for Macquarie was fairly good and organised. It had a relaxing atmosphere to it, and I loved the Philosphy talk , that was the definite highlight for me :) I do wish however that there were more MQ students. I don't mean the students wearing red t-shirts or the societies, but if you went to the UTS or Notre Dame open day and students were everywhere, you'd know what I mean.

Did you try the camel rides?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Yeah, not too many students tend to go on uni on Saturday... lack of classes and all...

I loved that they put the 'science for kids' tent right next to a smoking area, smooth MQ, almost as good as the disability awareness conference on the 3rd floor...

Memento-mori

HSC
Yeah, not too many students tend to go on uni on Saturday... lack of classes and all...

I loved that they put the 'science for kids' tent right next to a smoking area, smooth MQ, almost as good as the disability awareness conference on the 3rd floor...
well at notre dame, uts and UNSW they had students everywhere, whether or not there was class....

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

I'm supposed to be trying to go to sleep but cannot contain my laughter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)