2012 Semester 2 UNSW Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Iruka

HSC
N/A
stepped into Higher Complex Analysis

mind = blown within two seconds

Trig functions aren't bounded in the complex plane

what what what what what what what what what

Higher Complex is the most enlightening subject in 2nd year maths. Just make sure you get a copy of the Churchill and Brown textbook.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Higher Complex is the most enlightening subject in 2nd year maths. Just make sure you get a copy of the Churchill and Brown textbook.
I have Peter Brown. I assume he's better than any textbook :p

But... I'll see. If not, I could just keep re-loaning the textbook from the library.

I will say it's by far the most interesting of the maths courses I have to do this semester. Straight from lecture 1... it's like, "Wow, this is interesting and great".

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
The three great UNSW maths lecturers imo: Milan Pahor, Chris Tisdell and Peter Brown

HSC
Uni Grad
I have Peter Brown. I assume he's better than any textbook :p

But... I'll see. If not, I could just keep re-loaning the textbook from the library.

I will say it's by far the most interesting of the maths courses I have to do this semester. Straight from lecture 1... it's like, "Wow, this is interesting and great".
I'd really want to have Peter Brown as my lecturer. I had him once on a MATHSOC event, as he was lecturing about the tricks in the binomial theorem. He was a great lecturer :p

halapenyo

HSC
my lecturers for math1251 are shit. i miss dr tran and the other guy

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The three great UNSW maths lecturers imo: Milan Pahor, Chris Tisdell and Peter Brown
I had Tisdell once, I thought he was average - probably just have to actually be in one of his classes and not just crash in one time.

But srsly, Peter Brown is excellent good. I remember the first time I had him as a replacement lecturer in MATH1141 and it was like "Woah, this guy... is good".

Guoyin Li also gets an honourable mention for perhaps being the happiest lecture. Solving integral theorems... with a smile!

HSC
Uni Grad
my lecturers for math1251 are shit. i miss dr tran and the other guy
Robert Womersley. He was quite good too. :)

On the other hand, fucking Brian Jefferies and Herbert Grundling... They can't even control the class, and aren't even great either :/

I had Tisdell once, I thought he was average - probably just have to actually be in one of his classes and not just crash in one time.

But srsly, Peter Brown is excellent good. I remember the first time I had him as a replacement lecturer in MATH1141 and it was like "Woah, this guy... is good".

Guoyin Li also gets an honourable mention for perhaps being the happiest lecture. Solving integral theorems... with a smile!

You had Guoyin Li for one of your lectures? which one? :O

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Jefferies doesn't control the class because he feels he doesn't have to.

And I had Li for 2111. why, did you have him as a lecturer

HSC
Uni Grad
So now FINS1613 and ACTL1001 are gonna kick in this week. I already have a report due for ACTL1001 by the end of week 3. *sigh*

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
90% sure of dropping Linear Models.

ugh why the hell did i drop philosophy for that

HSC
Uni Grad

LOLOL don't drop it, so you can be duh model and modeller :p

nah tbh think about it first. What course code is this btw? (and is it compulsory?)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
LOLOL don't drop it, so you can be duh model and modeller :p

nah tbh think about it first. What course code is this btw? (and is it compulsory?)
MATH2931.

And compulsory for Stats majors.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think I'll be taking that course if I do education/science (maths). OR MATH2831. Planning to major in Maths for Education and Statistics if I drop actuarial.
Well hopefully you'll find it better than 80% or so of the current cohort...

halapenyo

HSC
Check the course outline, it says due by Sunday 5pm end of week 3.

Oh wait, did you get invited to the ACTL1001 kids common group? :O
course outline says:
writing task - week 3
in class quiz - week 5
case study report - week 10

did they change it :O

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

Dropping a compulsory course at only week 3 of the semester is not the smartest idea. If you drop down to only 12 units you will also lose Youth Allowance/ABSTUDY if you get one of those also (as you are then considered only a part time student, not a full time student). You would also (legally at least anyway) lose your transport cocnession card for public transport as you would not be entitled to it anymore.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Dropping a compulsory course at only week 3 of the semester is not the smartest idea. If you drop down to only 12 units you will also lose Youth Allowance/ABSTUDY if you get one of those also (as you are then considered only a part time student, not a full time student). You would also (legally at least anyway) lose your transport cocnession card for public transport as you would not be entitled to it anymore.
yes but i'm a pure maths major - not a stats major, so math2931 is not compulsory for me

plus i'll have 18 units of credit left in my four remaining subject. still a full time student.

don't worry...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)