2012 Semester 2 UNSW Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm coming to UNSW next year, please explain why monday tutes and 9am tutes are bad?
1. If you don't live near uni (say 1 hour+ away), you'll probably have to get up pretty early considering it's peak hour
2. halapenyo's reasons
3. You're sort of have to be at uni that early each week, so especially during Winter months when it's like 10°C outside, you just don't want to be there. If it were lectures, then you can skip them and catch up in your own time. Some tutes are marked, some have compulsory attendance etc.
4. You might have a class test for your tutes, so you can't afford to be late, and chances are in peak hour traffic, you will be, so you'll probably have to get up even earlier. And why would you want to sit an exam that early (unless you like early exams)?

tambam

HSC
monday tutes are bad because:
1. obviously less time to cram. in uni an extra 1-2 days are extremely helpful.
2. if the quiz or midsem is harder than expected you wont know while people in later tutes will find out its hard and they can be prepared for it. (especially true if they do/ask something unexpected)
3. If you have a good friendship network you can actually find out the questions from the quiz from people who did it earlier on in the week. like a friend of mine got shit marks in quiz 2 for fins1613 which was the easiest. but he managed to get hold of the exact questions for quiz 3 and he got 10.
Don't underestimate what a massive advantage this, so many of my mates are on close to full marks without knowing shit about the actual content.
Though for the last fins quiz, had the questions but still had no clue how to do it all...

Also you have more time for hand in assessments, cos they're due in a set week during your tute.

halapenyo

HSC
Don't underestimate what a massive advantage this, so many of my mates are on close to full marks without knowing shit about the actual content.
Though for the last fins quiz, had the questions but still had no clue how to do it all...

Also you have more time for hand in assessments, cos they're due in a set week during your tute.
but really they can only do that in a course like this where the quizzes are 3-4 mc questions each. looked at the course outline for the other fins courses, they have bigger tests, midsems or assignments instead of quizzes.

Kickass_Dude

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the info, I'll try to schedule most of my tutorials on thursday/friday then.
My current plan is to enroll as soon as UAC offers come out so I can get the best timetable

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the info, I'll try to schedule most of my tutorials on thursday/friday then.
My current plan is to enroll as soon as UAC offers come out so I can get the best timetable
Word of advice: People would still rather choose Monday tutorials (afternoon tutes) over Friday tutorials. They like their three day weekends.

Me, I have a four day weekend. Monday to Wednesday, then every day after that is off. There's a trade-off to make. *shrugs*

michaeljennings

HSC
For most courses they change the class tests from day to day (for some reason my friends say fins1613 doesnt do this which I think is a bit unfair)
Not sure how true this is but for the courses that change their class tests, Ive been told they give the easier papers to people who have their tutorial earlier in the week to compensate for the disadvantage of having less time to prepare compared to people who have their tutorial on friday for example.

tbh I wouldnt really mind what day my tute was unless they reused the same test everyday. I had 3 tutorials on a monday in sem 1 and 3 tutorials on monday this sem and it wasnt too bad.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
acct1511

do nothing all sem and I see that I'm sitting on 38/40

leon wong you legend

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
acct1511

do nothing all sem and I see that I'm sitting on 38/40

leon wong you legend
Does that include the bonus 2 marks? Either way yeah, a majority of people would be sitting on a high total.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
didn't leon get rid of negative marking because of some stupid deal he made with the kids lol

TheBloop

HSC
so how about them exams hey

Also negative marking may still apply to future cohorts. I may possibly take ACTL1122 instead (it replaces ACCT1501 and ACCT1511)
it's like 1/4 of a mark off isn't it

why are you all complaining so much

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
don't you only lose the mark if you guess though
so really, you could stick with getting 0 by not answering the question :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)