2012 Trial (1 Viewer)

vinhkn

HSC
Anyone have any tips on studying for engineering? Our teacher hasn't taught us shit since personal and public transports. We've had to teach ourselves lifting - telecom.
I've got the content covered but the mechanics is challenging to me :/ I don't get most of it.

inJust

HSC
Hail mary full of grace, put my pencil in the right place (Multiple choice only)

Rathaen

HSC
Go to the Board of Studies website, download all the past HSC papers with solutions. Do the questions.

See if you can get your hands on a mechanics textbook like Schlenker - Guide to Engineering Mechanics, read through the parts still assessible in the HSC and do the questions.

For mechanics, best method for studying is to just practice doing more questions

See if you can't find some of those CSSA past papers around on the internet. They're okay too.

Also make sure to get enough practice doing engineering drawings (iso, orthogonal and oblique) so that you're comfortable doing them. (If you can find a set of parallel rulers, I'm pretty sure you can bring that to your test, and they help a great deal with isometric and oblique drawings).

Also with mechanics, I found "A Student's Workbook by John Rochford" pretty helpful and concise in terms of learning the procedure of doing the questions.

solider691

HSC
My teacher is the same. your best of going through notes downloaded off the net and probably review these and make brain storms on them. if you cant do the maths leave it the other content is worth just as much. eg. a past engineering student did no maths in the HSC and got 70%..wtf i know

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
My teacher is the same. your best of going through notes downloaded off the net and probably review these and make brain storms on them. if you cant do the maths leave it the other content is worth just as much. eg. a past engineering student did no maths in the HSC and got 70%..wtf i know
Engineering is not all about maths. You can be a good engineer with bad math skills.

barbernator

HSC
this is ridiculous suggesting that someone leaves questions that they can't do! work at them/

Rathaen

HSC
HSC Engineering Studies is set at a General Maths level. All you really need to know is very basic trigonometry, and how to sub something into an equation.

uNknOwN888

HSC
Engineering is not all about maths. You can be a good engineer with bad math skills.
Funnily enough, most engineering courses in university actually recommend people to do 4u maths before they enter to make things more understandable...I don't know what kind of engineer would have bad maths skills, but I don't think they will would eligible to become one in the first place. Some universities actually have 3u maths as a prerequisite so please, don't say that "you can be a good engineer with bad math skills." Be bad at maths and become an engineer then tell me. Thanks

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Funnily enough, most engineering courses in university actually recommend people to do 4u maths before they enter to make things more understandable...I don't know what kind of engineer would have bad maths skills, but I don't think they will would eligible to become one in the first place. Some universities actually have 3u maths as a prerequisite so please, don't say that "you can be a good engineer with bad math skills." Be bad at maths and become an engineer then tell me. Thanks
They may recommend certain subjects which will help you, but none are a prerequisite.

Unless you have done an engineering degree you cannot really comment. Being good at math will certainly help, but it is not essential. Sure you have to have some basic level (2 unit say) to start with, although even then you won't use that math all that often.

Rathaen

HSC
In first year Engineering right now, did 2U math in the HSC and still got a band 6 in Eng Studies. Good math skills are definitely not necessary to do well in HSC Engineering.

Took a bridging course for math, still rocking a credit average. Other 2U math peeps in first year Math courses are doing just as well if not better than me. Perhaps first year isn't indicative as to the level of math required for an engineer, but at this stage I'd say I'm doing pretty fine for someone who's bad at math, and taking an Engineering degree.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
In first year Engineering right now, did 2U math in the HSC and still got a band 6 in Eng Studies. Good math skills are definitely not necessary to do well in HSC Engineering.
HSC engineering is not really comparable though.

Took a bridging course for math, still rocking a credit average. Other 2U math peeps in first year Math courses are doing just as well if not better than me. Perhaps first year isn't indicative as to the level of math required for an engineer, but at this stage I'd say I'm doing pretty fine for someone who's bad at math, and taking an Engineering degree.
If you can pass first year math and physics then you will probably get through the degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)