2013 CSSA Mathematics Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

coyney

HSC
Hate to ruin people's days further, but Wagig pointed it out to me that the second 12hrs would be the next day... and so the sum would be 2x(that thing) - 12.

Made the same mistake :L
I'm pretty sure you don't take away 12, because you don't count the 12 for 12 am as the first ring... 1am + 2am + 3am + 4 + 5 +6 +7 +8 +9 +10 +11 +12pm + 1pm + ....... + 12 am
So i'm sure its 156

bedpotato

HSC
Or equal to. Lol why would it be strictly greater than? What part of the solution excluded it equaling 1/2?
| r | > 1.
That's what I used to solve for y.
What did you do?

Last edited:

Triage

HSC
N/A
| r | > 1. Sorry, not < .
That's what I used to solve for y, where r = y^2/(y-1)^2.
What did you do?
I solved for infinite sum and did the opposite in the end
So -1<y^2/(y-1)^2 < 1

The -1 got eliminated because it has no real solutions.

dunjaaa

HSC
The question was: for what values of y does this series does not have an infinite sum, I solved for r>1 and r<-1. r<-1 gave no solution and r>1 gave a solution of y>1/2. I think I got this question wrong since my friend pointed out to me that since the question implies that for this series to not have a infinite sum means that it has a limiting sum which meant you had to solve for r<1 and r>-1. Idk if thats correct or not but it sounds right. Lost 1 mark if he is right.

bedpotato

HSC
The question was: for what values of y does this series does not have an infinite sum, I solved for r>1 and r<-1. r<-1 gave no solution and r>1 gave a solution of y>1/2. I think I got this question wrong since my friend pointed out to me that since the question implies that for this series to not have a infinite sum means that it has a limiting sum which meant you had to solve for r<1 and r>-1. Idk if thats correct or not but it sounds right. Lost 1 mark if he is right.
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. But a limiting sum IS an infinite sum, it just has a limit. Lol, this is confusing me.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Your friend is wrong.

RealiseNothing

HSC
Also you are meant to solve for

iBibah

HSC
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. But a limiting sum IS an infinite sum, it just has a limit. Lol, this is confusing me.
A limiting sum isn't an infinite sum. A limiting sum is a sum with infinite terms, however the sum of those terms is not infinity.

An infinite sum means the sum of the terms is infinite, it doesn't imply it has infinite terms (it DOES have infinite terms, but the name 'infinite sum' isn't so for that reason.

So while both limiting and infinite sums have infinite terms, they dont both have a sum that is infinity.

wagig

HSC
If an infinite sum exists, that means there is a finite sum as the number of terms approaches infinity right?

bedpotato

HSC
How come?

A limiting sum isn't an infinite sum. A limiting sum is a sum with infinite terms, however the sum of those terms is not infinity.

An infinite sum means the sum of the terms is infinite, it doesn't imply it has infinite terms (it DOES have infinite terms, but the name 'infinite sum' isn't so for that reason.

So while both limiting and infinite sums have infinite terms, they dont both have a sum that is infinity.
Oh okay. Thanks.

RealiseNothing

HSC

No an infinite sum is just a sum of infinite terms.

Last edited:

Triage

HSC
N/A
Oh yeah that's how I got it. Lol I was wondering how I got it then i realised, if a limiting sum is strictly less, then not a limiting sum must be equal to or greater than

Triage

HSC
N/A
When will you people realise. An infinite sum, is a sum (defined) as n goes to infinite. Lol how is that even a question. An infinite sum. Not an infinite infinite

wagig

HSC
When will you people realise. An infinite sum, is a sum (defined) as n goes to infinite. Lol how is that even a question. An infinite sum. Not an infinite infinite
This^ (i hope haha)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)