Tasteless

HSC
fuck oath

parliamentary (literal) shit slingin comp, get on it

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst I'm disappointed that the minor parties getting up don't seem to have much in the way of policy..... Whatever we end up with will be what the Australian people voted for, and I think that has to be respected.

Though that doesn't preclude looking at reforming the system.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
No, I agree more minor parties the better. I wouldn't want a coalition senate majority, but come on how is somebody getting elected with such a small vote a good thing?

The current system does not ensure the will of the people is reflected. Those elected are determined by back room preference deals and minor parties gaming the system.

The only way a voter can control their preferences is to number 110 boxes which is frankly ridiculous. The system does need reforming to make it easier for voters to allocate their own preferences and I think the NSW LC system is a pretty good model to do this.
Yeah that's all a fair point.

I think the Sports Party candidate got like 1900 votes?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
http://media.smh.com.au/news/national-times/poo-thrower-a-senate-chance-4732754.html

Yes, we the Australian people are excellent at choosing suitable senators...
see Rupert Murdoch still wont let off and make his reporters just shut the fuck up... I can name a list of LNP senators and MP's that are just as stupid...

Man, its going to be interesting seeing the LDP vs LNP... and DLP vs LDP... probably more the latter... I reckon its going to end in a fist fight :lol:

Tony Abbott is going to have a really bad time getting his shit through the senate... chances are he really is going to be a one hit wonder PM... I'd laugh if he can't even get anything done and gets fucked over like K. Rudd...

Last edited:

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
By contrast with Tony Abbott, Rudd was connecting with voters right across the spectrum and is seen as someone prepared to grapple with complexity. We like it when our leaders treat us like grown ups and talk to us in full sentences rather than talk to us in slogans. Kevin does complex well and is a great communicator. For Rudd the 2013 election it is his ability to deal with complexity and to govern for all Australians and about his unfulfilled promise. Rudd was riding a wave of affection and interest and Australians were thinking about giving him a second chance.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Man, its going to be interesting seeing the LDP vs LNP... and DLP vs LDP... probably more the latter... I reckon its going to end in a fist fight
errr, what? the LDP are liberal stooges and will go along with any and all of the LNP's economic reforms (workplace relations, spending cuts, privatisation, foreign aid cuts, repealing the carbon and mining tax) and will have no opportunity to pursue their decentralisation and civil libertarian agenda (maybe in regards to same-sex marriage but the senate isn't the roadblock to that).

i very much doubt the DLP and LDP senators are going to duke it out in the senate. they have a lot more in common than people realise, and are quite chummy. more likely to see the DLP and LDP gang up on the greens.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
LNP v LDP; LNP have a more authoritarian perspective, eg: Tough on crime, enforcing rules banning same-sex marriage, creating harsh anti-terror laws, gun control, pro life, censorship of information relating to assisted suicide, prohibition of assisted suicide, disapproval of illicit drug decriminalisation, etc... LDP are polar opposites...

DLP v LDP; DLP are distributionalists (Pussy capitalists), they believe in a neo-liberal agenda, however, they have more of a Keynesian theory on economics and business, eg: subsidies for struggling businesses (such as the manufacturing and automotive sector), fair trade not free trade, and spending in general... LDP wont have a bar of that and would take an a more Milton Friedman approach to those situations...

far out, do people even know who they are voting for!

But yes, I do see the greens also being cained in the senate by almost everyone there... but they're the type that would just sit there and take it... :lol:

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
LNP v LDP; LNP have a more authoritarian perspective, eg: Tough on crime, enforcing rules banning same-sex marriage, creating harsh anti-terror laws, gun control, pro life, censorship of information relating to assisted suicide, prohibition of assisted suicide, disapproval of illicit drug decriminalisation, etc... LDP are polar opposites...

DLP v LDP; DLP are distributionalists (Pussy capitalists), they believe in a neo-liberal agenda, however, they have more of a Keynesian theory on economics and business, eg: subsidies for struggling businesses (such as the manufacturing and automotive sector), fair trade not free trade, and spending in general... LDP wont have a bar of that and would take an a more Milton Friedman approach to those situations...

far out, do people even know who they are voting for!

But yes, I do see the greens also being cained in the senate by almost everyone there... but they're the type that would just sit there and take it... :lol:
The point being is that the LDP will be a party to most of the LNP's bills on the economy, they probably won't need all that much convincing (unless Leyonhjelm plays his politics well) and therefore won't really be able to address any civil liberties issues. With the situations you've highlighted, the LDP will just vote 'no' but the LNP can just as easily go to other minor parties, who are much less principled, and sell the idea very cheaply. The LDP will probably have very little to no effect from July next year, as unfortunate as that is.

The Greens won't get "cained[sic]" by everyone there because they hold nearly as many seats when you consider that they and Labor stand very close on a lot of issues. if you make the assumption that Labor and the Greens sit eye to eye on an issue, that's around 34 senate seats, which compares quite closely to the LNP.

Even if the LDP do play a big role in the Senate, reducing the size of the government by any means will probably be what happens and the LDP and its members (I've met a fair few) will herald it as a great success. There can be problems with this. You need to reduce the government in a way that shows people they never needed it to begin with, or that they're better off without it (this will have a lot do with how it's sold). You can do that pretty easily for a lot of people with the carbon tax, but not necessarily with other parts of the law (think Industrial Relations). The reason you need to do this is so people don't demand it from an opposing party.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
yes i fully expect the LDP and DLP to have heated debates in the senate about whether keynes or friedman was right.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
I am supporting Bill Shorten to become Labor leader and call on him to support the termination of the carbon tax and oppose the Direct Action policy. I think that climate change scare mongering is absolute crap. Global warming is a discredited theory and needs to be buried in a garbage bin. I support Tony Abbott's comments that "climate change is absolute crap." I think Labor should lurch to the right and me too Coalition policies.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I support Albanese. Shorten is a washed up faction hack who would be Rudd pt 3.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I joined the ALP today, hoping I make it in time for a vote if it goes to that

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
How does that work?

I am also a member although I thought the voting thing wasn't for everyone, only for a few higher ranked people?

Who would you vote for?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
How does that work?

I am also a member although I thought the voting thing wasn't for everyone, only for a few higher ranked people?

Who would you vote for?
My understanding is that it would be a rank and file vote.

As for who, I would love to see an Albo/Plibersek leadership team, but factionally it's just not going to happen. I really like Albo and think he'd be really effective against Abbot, but I'm just not sure if he's PM material, but for now I actually think he's he best choice. Labor needs to win back votes from the left more than they do the right IMO

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Agree with you re Diaz.

If he took that approach weeks ago it could have turned out differently for him. That interview didn't have to be fatal for him, his minders were completely wrong in hiding him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)