2013 HSC Students - heed my/our warning regarding Engineering Studies as a subject. (1 Viewer)

Dedication_

HSC
Engineering Studies is a gargoylish leviathan of a subject. I strongly suggest you avoid this torturous educational pathway. Not only is it full of content which won't be asked (like most content subjects) but it includes mathematics which is considered to be more difficult than 2U (by word of mouth). To back this all up, it scales horrifically in comparison to it's difficulty. A prime example of this can be that the state mark (can't recall which year) was a 91... A flippin' 91?! other respectable subjects who hit state marks such as Chemistry, Bio and mathematics of any unit are hitting around 98-100 for state marks... And the scaling for those is of the highest.

Avoid this subject, heed my warning you poor students.

Before I get flamed for being dumb or retarded or some shit, I think we can all agree that Engineering Studies deserves better scaling.

/rantdone.

Join the bandwagon my fellow cohorts, begin the revolution :)

Capt Rifle

HSC
Re: 2013 HSC Students - heed my/our warning regarding Engineering Studies as a subjec

Yeh well, engineering studies didnt run at my school... so im guessing thats a good thing ?

Dedication_

HSC
Re: 2013 HSC Students - heed my/our warning regarding Engineering Studies as a subjec

You are a lucky man my friend. Every life I can save sees me another brighter day :)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

91 is a good mark.

Dedication_

HSC

Very true, I'm just saying for the difficulty of the subject is scales horrendously.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

Very true, I'm just saying for the difficulty of the subject is scales horrendously.
Wait until you do real engineering at uni (if you do). First year 'engineering' is about 10x harder and it only gets harder after that.

Dedication_

HSC

scaled*

And thank god that's not the degree I'm going for hah :l

lemon1

HSC

Wait until you do real engineering at uni (if you do). First year 'engineering' is about 10x harder and it only gets harder after that.
I have two friends who absolutely sucked at engineering in HSC, but that's because they never had the time to really learn the mechanics content, meanwhile, one of them are doing electrical and the other is doing petroleum... I assure you, in uni, you will learn the stuff because that's your prime focus. If you want to do engineering in Uni, you're better off doing 2-3unit and physics or chemistry depending on the area of engineering you want to enter, but i'd choose both if i could go back.

The OP is correct, horrible subject, because of its scaling, i'm pretty much stuffed

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

Yeh well, engineering studies didnt run at my school... so im guessing thats a good thing ?
haha
I remember when you were angry because there wasn't enough numbers to run the class lol

laser6628

HSC
N/A

Getting a 90 in engineering is quite easy i believe. Do remember the state rank was 91 raw not aligned. And with minimal study you should be able to do most calculations... that is if you do physics/chemistry (there is a decent amount of crossover) and have some good maths skills. All that being said, the scaling is just painful.

HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah, I told a lot of people not to do engineering studies too, because of the above reasons.

P

pacey0006

A big problem with Engineering Studies is that there is barely any teachers that actually know the subject. Most just read from a book etc.

Heydosaurus

HSC

but it includes mathematics which is considered to be more difficult than 2U (by word of mouth).
Haha, God no. The mathematics is extremely simple and easy. It's just the interpretation that screws with some of the people that do the course.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

A big problem with Engineering Studies is that there is barely any teachers that actually know the subject. Most just read from a book etc.
Well what do you expect. Those who have engineering degrees are not exactly lining up to be high school teachers (except as a second backup career or change of pace lifestyle change etc) as the money is simply far worse than what they could earn by working as an engineer.

Even if you got degree qualified engineers to teach it, they would only be fully knowledgeable on one or two areas. Civil engineering is pretty different from Electrical engineering which is pretty different from Mechanical & Aeronautical engineering etc.

Dedication_

HSC

Be warned future HSC'ers.

dong_tran

HSC

im doing this subject for yr 12, after i read what you said above. im like GOD HELP ME :((

Dedication_

HSC

Honestly man you'll do well if you actually try at the get-go. I kind of left the subject til last minute and focused on English and Math, big mistake. You got dis boi.

gr_111

HSC

I did engineering this year and loved every moment of it. Who cares if it scales rubbish, imo its still a very interesting subject.

Dedication_

HSC

Who cares if it scales rubbish.
Hmm I don't know, maybe my ATAR cares? You know that thing which contributes to your future?

Thatguy15

HSC

Hmm I don't know, maybe my ATAR cares? You know that thing which contributes to your future?
What is doing a subject you don't enjoy?

If you enjoy a subject you tend to perform better, and consequently your ATAR

I'm with gr_111 on this, loved the subject, and required minimal studying due to the excessive overlap with Chemistry, Physics and 4U math.

This is one of those subjects where your not tested on what you can memorize, but more-so how you can solve problems with what you've learnt, after-all their trying to interest future engineers with adequate skills, I mean cmon 'scope of the profession' in each module.
But you cant eliminate the memorizing out of tests and in virtue your materials are your best friend, and subbing numbers into equations and basic techniques aren't hard to master.

TLDR: ES isn't that bad, go for it..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)