2014 French Extension? (1 Viewer)

likeaBOS

HSC
Hey!

I am considering picking up Extension French for my HSC next year.
I was just wishing to hear the consensus of past students and their thoughts/advice/comments on the subject having done the course.
Also for those who are doing Continuers and possibly considering Extension like myself, I thought it would be worth having a chat to gauge whether it is worth doing, thoughts on the new prescribed text and themes and how everyone is finding Continuers.

Meshy590

HSC
I did Extension for my HSC last year, and I loved it! It was so different to the continuers course, and so much more of a challenge. Doing Extension helped me a lot with Continuers (to the extent that I didn't study for any of my Continuers assessments all year!). Our text was Jean de Florette, but I think starting next year it's a movie, which is even better imo. I would definitely recommend Extension if you like French/are somewhat good at French.

Let me know if you have any other questions

likeaBOS

HSC
Thanks so much! Did you find that it complemented Continuers quite a lot? Because the way I see it is that I will just gain more proficiency through doing more of the language. Currently I'm finding Continuers not enough of a challenge, partly because the level my class is at so I think I need a bit more of a challenge - if I did it I would probably be the only person in my class to do it, so the one on one might provide a better opportunity to build from where I'm at. The Improptu Speaking exam sounds pretty cool but at the same time intense, did you find that difficult? Also, did you find it a lot of work for a 1 unit subject and to get an E4 as you did in it? In terms of studying and working for the subject, are there any methods you found the most effective that you would recommend?

Meshy590

HSC
Um it didn't think it complemented continuers that much, but ultimately, you're learning to do the same things (reading, writing, speaking, listening). The fact that there is a Core text is completely different to continuers, but the other half of course is kinda similar to Continuers. Yeah, if you are not finding Continuers challenging enough, definitely do Extension, otherwise you may just get bored with the Continuers course. Worst case scenario, if extension is not for you, you can always drop it during Yr 12. I was in the exact same position as you, in that my Continuers class was going very slowly, and I needed to do some harder stuff. The monologue was terrifying! I did a lot of prep, but I was still really nervous. And the questions we got on the day were really tough as well. I started making notes for one of the questions, then after 1 min, I decided to change to the other question!! Umm it is a demanding subject, and it is quite a lot of work for a 1u subject, but i have no regrets. For me, extension french didn't' event count towards my ATAR, but the experience was well worth it. It has really helped me with my French, and today I can communicate better than I would have been able to without doing extension. As for study techniques, I made some brief notes for the core text, but part from that, I just did lots of practice writing tasks, watched the French News everyday, and made a habit of speaking to myself in French :p

Catey_W

HSC
I would totally recommend picking it up and giving it a go (to everyone). I did it at the start of yr 12 for about 2-3 weeks and hated the kind of class is was. I prefer to learn grammar and vocab rather than study texts in both English and French, but I will read my text after the exams again just for fun.I also found there was a lot of background work to be done for 1u. I don't regret trying it out, it just wasn't for me

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Hey! Also picking up Ext. next year, new text is certainly different to Jean de Florette! Are you going to France as part of your preparation? I leave the month after next, so excited :)

likeaBOS

HSC
Um it didn't think it complemented continuers that much, but ultimately, you're learning to do the same things (reading, writing, speaking, listening). The fact that there is a Core text is completely different to continuers, but the other half of course is kinda similar to Continuers. Yeah, if you are not finding Continuers challenging enough, definitely do Extension, otherwise you may just get bored with the Continuers course...
I would totally recommend picking it up and giving it a go (to everyone). I did it at the start of yr 12 for about 2-3 weeks and hated the kind of class is was. I prefer to learn grammar and vocab rather than study texts in both English and French, but I will read my text after the exams again just for fun.I also found there was a lot of background work to be done for 1u. I don't regret trying it out, it just wasn't for me
Thanks Meshy & Catey for your feedback.

Hey! Also picking up Ext. next year, new text is certainly different to Jean de Florette! Are you going to France as part of your preparation? I leave the month after next, so excited :)
Hey! It certainly is different. I watched it and found it pretty amusing and light-hearted, which in many ways could be a nice change from the dense, heavy read that I've been told JDF is. Yeah I am, so excited! Hope the trip goes well, how long are you going for? :) Are there many others from your class picking up Ext?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Hey! It certainly is different. I watched it and found it pretty amusing and light-hearted, which in many ways could be a nice change from the dense, heavy read that I've been told JDF is. Yeah I am, so excited! Hope the trip goes well, how long are you going for? :) Are there many others from your class picking up Ext?
Yeah, I found that too. Jean de Florette seems far more dense and difficult from what I've seen. I'm going for two months, staying close to Lyon with a really sweet family. What about you and when do you leave? I'm actually the only language student at my school, my cohort is only 100 and there was really little interest in languages, so no not many picking up Ext haha. Do you have others doing ext with you?

likeaBOS

HSC
Yeah, I found that too. Jean de Florette seems far more dense and difficult from what I've seen. I'm going for two months, staying close to Lyon with a really sweet family. What about you and when do you leave? I'm actually the only language student at my school, my cohort is only 100 and there was really little interest in languages, so no not many picking up Ext haha. Do you have others doing ext with you?
I haven't picked up JDF but from what I've heard I'm sort of glad we are the first year for a new text. I might try read it sometime though. That sounds great! I'm going for a month in January, should be a great experience. Do you learn by distance, like Open High or do you have a one to one class? We'll have 5 for our Continuers class next year and I'm the only one that is considering or that has been recommended to do Extension. Are you feeling fairly geared up for Extension? What do you think of the course prescriptions for 14-18'?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I haven't picked up JDF but from what I've heard I'm sort of glad we are the first year for a new text. I might try read it sometime though. That sounds great! I'm going for a month in January, should be a great experience. Do you learn by distance, like Open High or do you have a one to one class? We'll have 5 for our Continuers class next year and I'm the only one that is considering or that has been recommended to do Extension. Are you feeling fairly geared up for Extension? What do you think of the course prescriptions for 14-18'?
I kind of like the new prescribed text, it's quite light and has more easily identifiable social issues (racism, religion, poverty, social inequities, domestic violence, etc.). Yeah, I do Continuers by Karabar High, but they don't offer Extension so I'm doing that through Open High. Oh that'll be great, with your class or by yourself? What part of France will you be in? 5 is a decent size, your speaking is probably loads better than mine! I'm feeling okay, I guess. I know that a large percentage of the 250-ish people in the state who take it will be native speakers, which is a bit intimidating, but it seems a lot like a combination of English and French and my English is pretty strong so I hope to be alright. I've improved massively since going into distance education over a conventional class, just because my class wasn't very devoted/good and kind of held me back a bit. I'm hoping to come back from France semi-fluent, though grammar and gender will need a lot more work. I think I'll probably be caught up on a lot of silly grammatical mistakes which is a bit annoying. What about you?

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I think it's great of them to deal with racism, considering how latge an issue it really is in French society. In years below me at even my tiny school there are two non -related native speakers, daunting to think of how many I must be up against in the state! Oh that'll be great, having your teacher ther would really force you to learn and use the language, hope you like them though haha Paris will be lovely, but utterly freezing in January. I've basically used my exchange as an excuse to buy piles of cashmere and wool, I read French vogue as 'study' so it's way too tempting for me to buy more than I can afford to take (note: if I curl up, my entire body actually fits in my suitcase haha). Vichy should be quite temperate though, a bit more south without bordering the alps. If you happen to be around Lyon at any point come find me! Hope it all goes well for you, I'm sure you'll come back loads better, especially of your teacher's coming.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)