2014 Modern History HSC exam predictions thread (1 Viewer)

RG11

HSC
Hey everyone, feel free to post your predictions for your respective topics!

enoilgam

HSC
Conflict in Europe:

- dictatorships in Germany and Italy: 2006
– the League of Nations and collapse of collective security: Abyssinia, the Spanish Civil War: 2011
– Britain, France and the policy of appeasement: an assessment: 2009
– significance of the Nazi–Soviet Non-Aggression Pact: 2008, 2013

– German advances: the fall of Poland, the Low Countries and France
– the air war and its effects: The Battle of Britain and the Blitz, the bombing of Germany: 2008
– Operation Barbarossa, the Battle of Stalingrad and the significance of the Russian campaign: 2010, 2007
– Battle of El Alamein and the significance of the conflict in North Africa to the European War: 2009

– social and economic effects of the war on civilians in Britain and EITHER Germany OR the Soviet Union: 2007, 2012
– Nazi racial policies: the Holocaust and the persecution of minorities: 2010

– ‘D’ Day and the liberation of France: 2011
– Russian counter offensives 1944: 2006
– final defeat 1944–1945
– Nuremburg War Crimes trials

This is a list of the syllabus dot points and which questions have been asked to date (thanks to D94 for composing this list). Last year also featured a combination question asking about Axis Strategy, so dont focus all your efforts on specific dot points.

I'm thinking that a specific question on the Final Defeat (i.e. Assess the factors leading to the final defeat of Germany in 1945) is most likely. A similar general question could also pop up for the causes of the war. German advances is possible, but I dont really see what they could ask. Also, look out for a combination question or possibly something on a topic that hasnt been covered in a while.

enoilgam

HSC
Option C: Germany 1918–1939

1 Weimar Republic
– Emergence of the Democratic Republic and the (impact of the Treaty of Versailles - 2011
– Political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic to 1929
– Collapse of the Weimar Republic 1929–1933 - 2008, 2009
– Impact of the Great Depression on Germany 2013

2 The rise of the Nazi Party
– Rise of the Nazi Party (NSDAP) from 1923 - 2009
– Hitler’s accession to power
– Initial consolidation of Nazi power 1933–1934 - 2011

3 Nazism in power
– Hitler’s role in the Nazi state - 2010
– Nazism as totalitarianism - 2008
– The role of propaganda, terror and repression. SA and SS; opposition to Nazism 2009, 2012
– Social and cultural life in the Nazi state: role of Hitler Youth, women, religion - 2007, 2013
– Nazi racial policy; anti-Semitism: policy and practice to 1939 - 2006

4 Nazi foreign policy
– Nature of Nazi foreign policy: aims and strategies to September 1939 - 2007, 2012
– Impact of ideology on Nazi foreign policy to September 1939

Given this, I'm thinking a question on the impact of ideology on foreign policy or Political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic are most likely.

spaks1995

HSC
I have this feeling that they might ask you something about Anti-semitism on Totalitarian state/Hitler on Germany Option caz they havent really asked that topic for awhile in hsc
If that comes out, ill be fucked :(

RG11

HSC

1 Weimar Republic
– Emergence of the Democratic Republic and the (impact of the Treaty of Versailles - 2011

3 Nazism in power
– The role of propaganda, terror and repression. SA and SS; opposition to Nazism 2009, 2012
– Social and cultural life in the Nazi state: role of Hitler Youth, women, religion - 2007, 2013

4 Nazi foreign policy
– Nature of Nazi foreign policy: aims and strategies to September 1939 - 2007, 2012

Given this, I'm thinking a question on the impact of ideology on foreign policy or Political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic are most likely.

if its this do you think it will be a question on the success of Weimar prior to 1929?

Last edited:

limplict

HSC

1 Weimar Republic

3 Nazism in power

4 Nazi foreign policy

The impact of ideology was tested in 2007, "assess the impact of nazism on German foreign policy in the period 1933-1939", and foreign policy was tested 2 years ago so I doubt that the questions will focus on it (though I wish it would).
I'm banking on a question either on totalitarianism, issues in the Weimar Republic up to 1929 and/or to do with racism or nationalism since they both haven't been tested since 2006. Really hoping there won't be anything on Hitler's role in the Nazi state because it's probably the hardest part of the syllabus and is really boring compared to everything else on the topic..

Any predictions for Conflict in the Pacific guys? And do you think the personalities question will be as easy as it has been in the past few years or do you think they'll bring back quotes?

Willyu1996

HSC
What do you guys think the question would be for conflict in indochina?

naaancy

HSC
Germany prediction:
1. totalitarian state
2. Racial policies
3: downfall of Weimar due to the appeal of Hitler
4: Militarism impact on downfall of Weimar
5. nationalism

sheldogge

HSC
- World War One - who cares/knows, could be anything, just know syllabus
- Trotsky/personalities - A will be early life stuff, I personally feel for B that they will go back to the quotes and ask you to evaluate such as 2010, as last few years have been standard
- Russia - somethings to do with Lenin for consolidation or maybe seizure of power, could even be on significance of War Communism or NEP (hasn't been done since 2010) - they could defs ask a power struggle question, I don't think it's ever been done so I am predicting that. If stalin gets asked, has to be on impact/purpose of five year plans/Totalitarianism for me
Indochina - defs something on dot point 2, hasn't been asked for 2 years - something on ideology or impact of US entry? Other question will be have something to do on war with civilians/ strategies and tactics

bitchslapper69

HSC
Option C Germany:
1. Evaluate Hitler’s role in the Nazi state between 1933 and 1939.
2. Totalitarianism
3. Political, social, economic problems of Weimar

They're my tips, one of those 3...

HSC
N/A
My teacher predicted 7/8 of the questions in the last year's exam.
This year his predictions are the following:
1. Trench warfare for WWI, but apparently you should know everything because WWI can be from multiple points of the syllabus.
2. Collectivisation and industrialisation for Russia. Maybe Stalinism as totalitarianism, and you should always study the consolidation of power because it's asked almost every year. Foreign policy is unlikely this year.
3. US intervention for Vietnam

:D

MrInoeverthin

HSC
Uni Grad
1. Trench warfare for WWI, but apparently you should know everything because WWI can be from multiple points of the syllabus.
2. Collectivisation and industrialisation for Russia. Maybe Stalinism as totalitarianism, and you should always study the consolidation of power because it's asked almost every year. Foreign policy is unlikely this year.

So for Section II, you're doing Russia and the Soviet Union, right?
They always ask two questions of course, one on the Bolshevik consolidation of power, and one on Stalin.
Could you please elaborate on the predictions a little bit more for this section please?
:)

megh1997

HSC
does your teacher have predictions for the other sections? germany/conflict in pacific?

viserys

HSC
– German advances: the fall of Poland, the Low Countries and France

I'm thinking that a specific question on the Final Defeat (i.e. Assess the factors leading to the final defeat of Germany in 1945) is most likely. A similar general question could also pop up for the causes of the war. German advances is possible, but I dont really see what they could ask. Also, look out for a combination question or possibly something on a topic that hasnt been covered in a while.

German advance was essentially assessed in 2012 with "Why Was Germany so successful in the European War up to the start of Operation Barbarossa?". It's kind of a combined question but it definitely addresses the fall of Poland, France, Low Countries etc. and whether this was the result of superior strategy or their opponents weakness/shitty command.

A question that refers directly to final defeat, rather than D-Day or Russian counter offensive, seems likely. I think a turning point question is also likely, with North Africa being addressed in 2009 and all and the others prior to that.

edit: A combined question (not sure on what) seems likely too, seeing as they've done that two years in a row now.

Last edited:

bitchslapper69

HSC

Could you give some examples of Indochina questions on US intervention?

Cheers

sheldogge

HSC
Hey mate, have a look at some of the past papers:

my guess would be things like;

- How significant was ideology in US entry
- Assess the impact of US entry over the cause of the war
- How important was US tactics to course of war

sarmen2

HSC
N/A
How likely is the Holocaust, or rather, the Nuremberg Trials likely to pop up for Conflict? Wasn't in the Catholic Trials this year?

Smooth Operator

HSC
A few of my predictions of possibilities.

WW1:
- Turning points?

Germany 1919-1939:
- Totalitarianism.
- Social, political, economic issues Weimar (both Independent and Catholic have similar questions).
- Racial policies.

Conflict in Indochina:
- Anti-war.
- US policy.
- Developments up to 1964.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)