• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2014 UMAT study group on Skype (1 Viewer)

KB161097

HSC
any one interest to form a group (Skype ) so we can study and share the tip?

frozenfriend

HSC
I totally am! Or even just to chat about how the umat sucks and rage to each-other.
I'll message you my skype info if you're still keen.

fatassmcfat

HSC
can we discuss q's on this thread as well?

Rumpkins are always Bumpkins, Lumpkins are sometimes Crumpkins, and Crumpkins are either Bumpkins or Dumpkins. Based on this information, which of the following statement is/are true?

I. A Bumpkin cannot be a Lumpkin
II. A Dumpkin is always a Crumpkin
III. A Lumpkin can be a Rumpkin
IV. A Rumpkin can be a Dumpkin

A I,II and III only
B I and IV only
C III and IV only
D III only

Tell me what you guys get cause I still dont believe the answer/reason is right :headbang:

iStudent

HSC
edit: I think it's C (III and IV only)

Last edited:

QZP

HSC
My answer C :) Just realised it as iStudent did haha /edit

iStudent

HSC
I thought it was D at first as well, but here is my (probably wrong) logic:
Not all bumpkins are crumpkins.
We know that those bumpkins that are crumpkins cannot be dumpkins (since crumpkins are *either* dumpkins or bumpkins so cannot be both)
however, those bumpkins that are not crumpkins have no restrictions on being dumpkins
therefore bumpkins can be dumpkins
and by the same logic, a rumpkin can be a dumpkin

KB161097

HSC
Sorry guy, I'm drop out as I has some person issue. Good luck all

fatassmcfat

HSC
The answer is C...good work
I also thought it was D (and still do) cause it says Crumpkins are EITHER bumpkins or Dumpkins....so youd think all the Bumpkins (which are Crumpkins) are the end of it, but I guess the examiners see the Crumpkins are not strictly divided into Bumpkins OR Dumkpins but can be both...
NYAAAHHH

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The answer is C...good work
I also thought it was D (and still do) cause it says Crumpkins are EITHER bumpkins or Dumpkins....so youd think all the Bumpkins (which are Crumpkins) are the end of it, but I guess the examiners see the Crumpkins are not strictly divided into Bumpkins OR Dumkpins but can be both...
NYAAAHHH
I don't agree with C being the answer, I think it is D. Let's follow the logic here.

R <--> B.

Now we know that C --> B or D, which implies that B and D are mutually exclusive. In other words, if something is B, we know it immediately CANNOT be D.

Now, since R <--> B, and B =/= D, then R =/= D.

vikavish

HSC
These inaccurate questions are hastily thrown together by med students. Don't expect them to always be valid.

Either way UMAT is more time management, because these questions are honestly not that hard. But you only get a minute or so to get an answer and move along.

bangladesh

HSC
Either way UMAT is more time management, because these questions are honestly not that hard. But you only get a minute or so to get an answer and move along.
lol, some questions in the umat are designed so that only 2-8% of candidates can answer them.. please don't judge the difficulty of umat when you haven't even taken the exam.

kcwm

HSC
I don't agree with C being the answer, I think it is D. Let's follow the logic here.

R <--> B.

Now we know that C --> B or D, which implies that B and D are mutually exclusive. In other words, if something is B, we know it immediately CANNOT be D.

Now, since R <--> B, and B =/= D, then R =/= D.
The answer is C, a bumpkin doesn't have to be a crumpkin.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The answer is C, a bumpkin doesn't have to be a crumpkin.
Yes, that is true. However, that is not relevant to answering the problem. My argument had no mention of B --> C.

kcwm

HSC
I should have read the question properly before your argument, II means that your argument is fine so I apologise. However, after reading the question properly your inference about 'either bumpkin or crumpkin' implying mutual exclusivity is, at least in my opinion, not correct. It would have to say 'but not both' for you to be able to take that implication. Perhaps the word 'either' does imply this, but I don't think so.

C -> B or D (if we take this as an exclusive or) does not imply that B and D are mutually exclusive traits, just mutually exclusive for anything with the trait C, which they must have because of II which I missed (sozza). This was why I mentioned the B don't have to be C.

But you're probably right and 'either' does imply mutual exclusivity, I think the word is too ambiguous to know whether it means B v D or not, so yeah...

iStudent

HSC
Yes, that is true. However, that is not relevant to answering the problem. My argument had no mention of B --> C.
Maybe you can explain how my explanation is wrong? :p
Btw just to add "Crumpkins are either Bumpkins or Dumpkins" does not mean all bumpkins are also crumpkins (the logic doesn't work the other way). It's not an 'iff' relation as you so put it in the maths seminar xd. Unless i'm mistaken ...... (which I think I am lol)

kcwm

HSC
Because all D are C, and all R are B, and C are B or D.
The question is can an R be a D. Every member of D is a member of C. Every member of R is a member of B.
The only way for the members of R and D to overlap is if B and D are not mutually exclusive, so it depends on the interpretation of the OR in the question.

dena95

HSC
I'M in :) i really need to join some course online any recommendations? or anyone wanna join a group course with me? :)

valeroau

HSC
N/A
I'm selling more than 700MB worth of UMAT Materials for $40. PM me or shoot me an email at valeroau@gmail.com if interested. Can provide samples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)