2016 UNSW Interview Offers (1 Viewer)

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Yeah I'm hoping my ATAR goes up to a low to mid 99 for a chance at UNSW.
I've only been offered an interview for JMP so far, my S1 and S2 scores were a bit on the low side for UWS.
Yeah, you must be right on the fringe or something, I'm surprised you didn't get one. Good luck for it though, and for the JMP interview :)

A1P

HSC
UMAT: 96 (Score: 190)
Predicted ATAR: 98.75
Seems strange that 99.20 ATAR + UMAT 88th (179) is a Yes
but 98.75 ATAR + UMAT 96th (190) missed.

8 UMAT percentiles 3.6 avg score higher can't make up for .45 ATAR,
can someone explain?

lighttheway

HSC
so im wearing thongs for the interview who is with me
That reminds me, the UNSW email said suits aren't necessary, but for a girl, do you think that a nice fitted black blazer, Oxford shirt and pencil skirt would be overkill/too informal?

Last edited:

m_wahwah

HSC
N/A
Offer: yes
UMAT: 99 (Score: 201)
Predicted ATAR: 99-99.3
Interstate: No
Applicant Type: School leaver
Special Consideration: None

Reactions: Oer

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Seems strange that 99.20 ATAR + UMAT 88th (179) is a Yes
but 98.75 ATAR + UMAT 96th (190) missed.

8 UMAT percentiles 3.6 avg score higher can't make up for .45 ATAR,
can someone explain?
The only explanation I can think of, is if they scale based upon the marks of the applicants (which I would imagine they do?), is that the distribution of predicted ATARs is much narrower than the distribution of UMATs, so that a narrow difference in predicted ATAR actually differentiates people more than a bigger difference in UMAT?

That reminds me, the UNSW email said suits aren't necessary, but for a girl, do you think that a nice fitted black blazer, Oxford shirt and pencil skirt would be overkill/too informal?
That sounds totally fine, as long as you don't feel uncomfortable! :D

Offer: yes
UMAT: 99 (Score: 201)
Predicted ATAR: 99-99.3
Congrats! :)

redjnr

HSC
Offer: No :(
UMAT: 96 (Score: 190)
Predicted ATAR: 98.75
Are you sure your school sent in a predicted ATAR of 98.75?
I'm also very surprised you didn't get an interview.

Cpt_Nooby

HSC
Are you sure your school sent in a predicted ATAR of 98.75?
I'm also very surprised you didn't get an interview.
Well, this was the estimate that I was given when I received my trial report. Not exactly sure if this is the one the school submitted or if they screwed up somewhere though. My half-yearly estimate was higher so I doubt they'd have submitted a lower one than that.
I'll probably ask about it when I go in and return all my textbooks.

whatdoitypehere

HSC
First up, I'm wearing my formal suit. "Wear what you feel is comfortable"; If you feel comfortable speaking to interviewers in it, wear it. That's my advice.

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
First up, I'm wearing my formal suit. "Wear what you feel is comfortable"; If you feel comfortable speaking to interviewers in it, wear it. That's my advice.
Just a note, which you might be doing anyway. If you're doing a full suit, I would ditch the suit jacket. Just shirt and tie looks better for an interview (hell, you can even drop the tie). Less of a cocktail night vibe, more of a business vibe.

LittleBirdCage

HSC
Just a note, which you might be doing anyway. If you're doing a full suit, I would ditch the suit jacket. Just shirt and tie looks better for an interview (hell, you can even drop the tie). Less of a cocktail night vibe, more of a business vibe.
Hello.
What you wear for interview?

Are you say that people who is wearing suites not get offer for med? Thanxs for advice, is good.

Actually I surprise that apperance of person matter so much for interview.
What if poor person very smart but having no suite or good cloths. Or large girl with bad skin but she so smart, nice and make good doctor. Or boy who like ties and suites and nice shoes.

Do intervewers so look at apperance making jugments like this?

LBC

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Hello.

Are you say that people who is wearing suites not get offer for med? Thanxs for advice, is good.

What if poor person very smart but having no suite or good cloths. Or large girl with bad skin but she so smart, nice and make good doctor. Or boy who like ties and suites and nice shoes.

LBC
Didn't say that at all, I'm just offering my own view as to what might look nice to wear.

It is repeated, and I agree, that one of the least important things (or most unnecessarily worried about things) for UNSW med interview is what you wear. They don't use it to judge you.

However, you'd be silly to not want to look your best. It all factors into making a good impression.
So the best advice is to wear the best/ most-business-like wear that you're comfortable in.

If you don't have fancy clothes, you don't have to get them, but if you do and you're comfortable in them, go ahead.

The reason I recommended not doing the full suit jacket was just because personally I think it looks better for an interview. It's really up to whatever you want to do as a person though.

The thing that will undeniably look best on you, no matter what, is a smile and a positive personality :)

Xt

HSC
N/A
Hello.

LBC
As mentioned previously, I would hope that appearance won't contribute at all but why risk it? No point arguing online about it when this is your future you're playing with.

Just suit up, wear everything except for the suit jacket itself.

Natasha Romanoff

HSC
Offer: No
UMAT: 99 (Score: 205)
Predicted ATAR: 97.65

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Offer: No
UMAT: 99 (Score: 205)
Predicted ATAR: 97.65
Dang.

If your ATAR turns out a point or so higher than predicted you've defs got a shot at late round.

orangepie

HSC
Offer: Yes
UMAT: 98 (199)
Predicted ATAR: 99.50
Applicant Type: School Leaver
Special Consideration: N/A

loong21

HSC
I found it so chill, enjoyed most of it
Good luck to anyone else who just had UNSW interviews

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)