2021 HSC (1 Viewer)

zizi2003_

HSC
Wyd if tomorrow, Gladys announces the cancellation of the HSC due to covid
the fact that theyre so hell bent on not cancelling trials for everyone but may cancel HSC makes no sense (my school literally protested and sent emails to the principal but lmaooo she wont budge)
HSC will continue to happen even if there are 500+ cases- not my words

zizi2003_

HSC
Gladys recently changed her advice about face-to-face learning for Year 12's. Dozens of schools have cancelled trials recently. If things get worse, trials may be cancelled but not HSC
no schools cancelled their trial exams, most replaced the task with some alternative assignment

DarkOperator618

HSC
the fact that theyre so hell bent on not cancelling trials for everyone but may cancel HSC makes no sense (my school literally protested and sent emails to the principal but lmaooo she wont budge)
HSC will continue to happen even if there are 500+ cases- not my words
bro they will hold the HSC if there's like 5000 cases lmao

HSC
That’s what’s happening for oral exams atm. NESA emailed me and asked whether I’m willing to leave my LGA to do my oral exam or to let my French teacher estimate it for me.
oof, did you decide

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
That’s what’s happening for oral exams atm. NESA emailed me and asked whether I’m willing to leave my LGA to do my oral exam or to let my French teacher estimate it for me.
Seems like a difficult decision to make, choosing between getting a speaking exam over with by receiving an estimate or preparing and sitting a speaking exam which requires the student to leave their LGA and potentially put themselves at risk... 🤔

Good luck with your decision @deadofwrite and to all other students who are concerned with NESA's decision! 😄

Luke322

HSC
ye but guys lets be real this does more academic harm than good. The trials are meant to be reflective of the HSC. If it's some open book sort or another form of non-formal examination, don't you think that will distort the rankings, especially for larger cohorts. Also, there's an easy workaround to the current situation for schools in non-affected LGA's, simply hold your exams in bigger halls (e.g. randwick racecourse) or utilise the multitude of classrooms that are collecting dust atm and just ban mingling among students.
some schools have people coming from LGA's; there's a problem there. Also, they can't "ban mingling"; at least not in my school lol everybody talks together before and after the exam lol. We realise it does more academic harm than good but we're prioritising health first. Health is more important than academics.

Luke322

HSC
Imagine trying to have 200 kids 1.5m away from each other outside; it's impossible. Vaccinations take 2 weeks after the second jab to come into effect and 'rapid antigen testing' talks 1 hour for 10 tests. A lot of parents and students are just concerned with the health risks and I completely understand; health comes first.

Luke322

HSC
true. I just don't want to be in the same position by hsc. Imagine doing exams in january. Wont that delay the whole uni timetable.
Yeah NESA's gonna have to make a decision there. The problem rn is there's so much uncertainty around trials and HSC; the premier hasn't made a decision yet and its just exacerbating the anxiety of yr 12 students who are already burnt out.

HSC
Honestly I don't think that trials themselves are a massive health risk if done with even strict measures; they can do 2-3 daily (PCR) tests like they are doing for essential workers throughout and before/after the trial period, masks in exams, have to go straight to/from school for your test and go straight to your desk in the exam room. They don't even technically need teachers there for trials, they can just have the exam coordinators. The main risk here is mixing between LGAs IMO (particularly private/selective)

I think that they're probably much more worried about students being in school 6hrs a day 5 days a week, mingling at lunch/recess, and the issues that brings with all teachers having to go back etc.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I don’t think there is any suggestion from the Premier that what they proposed for Year 12s will be completely reversed. It’s more that it will take a different form compared to what was originally promised. It’s a classic case of announce the proposal and sort out the details later on...

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Imagine trying to have 200 kids 1.5m away from each other outside; it's impossible. Vaccinations take 2 weeks after the second jab to come into effect and 'rapid antigen testing' talks 1 hour for 10 tests. A lot of parents and students are just concerned with the health risks and I completely understand; health comes first.
"Vaccinations take 2 weeks after the second jab to come into effect"... This is simply not true. Effectiveness of vaccinations does build over time and a second vaccination is beneficial, but substantial benefit has occurred within one to two weeks of the FIRST vaccination. This is why they want to start vaccinating year 12s next week, so they do have significant cover (though not full benefit) by August 16.

On the rapid antigen testing idea, there is a substantial practical problem that the testing needs to be administered by medically trained individuals, which will be a major difficulty if used on large numbers.

As for what will happen next, we can all speculate but no one knows. My opinion, for whatever that is worth, is that the HSC exams will take place in person and under supervision like in previous years, though maybe at different venues and with more distancing, mandatory masks, etc. What schools do about trials - virtual, in person, replaced with other assessments - will vary between schools. As for the lockdown ending by the end of August, I think it is very very unlikely - I'm expecting at least another month to be added.

rajeshtheting

HSC
Personally I want the trials to be on since they’re good practice for HSC but i just wish mine weren’t still weighed 30% :(
haha u think 30 is bad ... last year ours were weighted 50 and 60 percent for chem and phys ... its good that i did quite well in them but for people who didnt their internals would have gone out the window

HSC

Uhhhhhh

What happens for those living in a hotspot area but going to e.g. a selective school out of that. Sounds like they are going to have a massive disadvantage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)