• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2023 HSC chat (1 Viewer)

jc7726

HSC
do harder questions for x2 if you can, otherwise try solidify all the basics so you get almost full marks for q11-14
Also i feel like i barely know any of the basics for x2 tbh, i placed pretty much middle in the last exam in a class of 12. my maths prodigy friend makes me feel mid as heck when i forget the basics lmao

synthesisFR

HSC
On the topic of bio my friends handwriting is so bad he has to type out his answer bc the teacher couldn’t read them at all so he’s spending like every day at lunch decoding

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Also i feel like i barely know any of the basics for x2 tbh, i placed pretty much middle in the last exam in a class of 12. my maths prodigy friend makes me feel mid as heck when i forget the basics lmao
maybe just practice q11-14 for now and then progress to the harder stuff in q15-16? Or pick a topic that you struggle most with and work on that first? for me it was mechanics, and now its weird vector proof stuff

Interdice

HSC
you have said some things the fbi wouldn’t be able to force out of people but like no one’s arguing about Asian girls man
That was in the past. And I don't regret a word I said.

But I need my resources. Only reason I'm here.

Also this is an anonymous forum. And I don't really care what you people think. And I admitted to commiting no crimes, so the FBI can have fun doing that. I didn't even say anything that bad. If I remember correctly I just said socializing is a waste of time, and said the only people worth talking to were asian girls.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Guys what is an SNP and what is an STR? To me they're the same and just both used for DNA profiling, but I can't tell them apart or explain them very well

synthesisFR

HSC
damn u want others to do it for you

A SNP is a change of a single nucleotide at a specific position on the genome. It may be substitution, insertion or deletion.
They occur once in every 300 nucleotides on average, which means there are roughly ten million SNPs in the human genome. SNPs account for more than 90% of all the variation across the human population and they are used as genetic markers. They can occur in introns and intergenic regions which do not affect human health, and exons which can affect human health.

Example: HbS is a SNP of normal haemoglobin HbA. Sickle cell trait is the result of HbS in the heterozygous form. Sickle cell anemia is the result in the homozygous form.

Uses of SNP as genetic markers: genetic screening for presence of disease genes e.g. sickle cell anemia, tracking family inheritance of disease, forensics and DNA fingerprinting, determining differences in human populations, tracking migration routes, studying human evolution.
'
STR
DNA profiling (aka DNA fingerprinting):
Involves determining the identity of an individual and familial relationships. 99.9% of our DNA is common, but sections called STRs (short tandem repeats) are unique to each individual. They are sections of non-coding DNA that are repeated many times (e.g. TATATATA). Number of repeats at a specific location in the non-coding regions of DNA varies between individuals, giving rise to different DNA profiles.

(a quick search)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
damn u want others to do it for you

A SNP is a change of a single nucleotide at a specific position on the genome. It may be substitution, insertion or deletion.
They occur once in every 300 nucleotides on average, which means there are roughly ten million SNPs in the human genome. SNPs account for more than 90% of all the variation across the human population and they are used as genetic markers. They can occur in introns and intergenic regions which do not affect human health, and exons which can affect human health.

Example: HbS is a SNP of normal haemoglobin HbA. Sickle cell trait is the result of HbS in the heterozygous form. Sickle cell anemia is the result in the homozygous form.

Uses of SNP as genetic markers: genetic screening for presence of disease genes e.g. sickle cell anemia, tracking family inheritance of disease, forensics and DNA fingerprinting, determining differences in human populations, tracking migration routes, studying human evolution.
'
STR
DNA profiling (aka DNA fingerprinting):
Involves determining the identity of an individual and familial relationships. 99.9% of our DNA is common, but sections called STRs (short tandem repeats) are unique to each individual. They are sections of non-coding DNA that are repeated many times (e.g. TATATATA). Number of repeats at a specific location in the non-coding regions of DNA varies between individuals, giving rise to different DNA profiles.

(a quick search)

jc7726

HSC
Idk what is going on w my year bruh but like half of my subject trials won't have some content that's in the hsc because we haven't covered them yet... it's crazy. For ext 2 we haven't finished mechanics, physics we need to finish the end of mod 8, ext 1 we haven't finished binomial distributions. And i would say my cohort as a whole is pretty strong as compared to recent years which is confusing.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Idk what is going on w my year bruh but like half of my subject trials won't have some content that's in the hsc because we haven't covered them yet... it's crazy. For ext 2 we haven't finished mechanics, physics we need to finish the end of mod 8, ext 1 we haven't finished binomial distributions. And i would say my cohort as a whole is pretty strong as compared to recent years which is confusing.
that's common

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
our bio still needs to start mod 8 so we're gonna have to have sunday lessons during stuvac or something

nsw..wollongong

😍😍
HSC
i thought that's normal? literally all my subjects except for eng is like that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)