2023 HSC chat (2 Viewers)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Do you like hand in maths tasks? I’ve always hated them 😲
You hate hand in maths tasks? wait why? I'd rather have an exam but they're... interesting tbh

yesterday my mx1 class spent 1 hour on 2 induction questions. but tbf the questions were way to difficult for people just starting out
mathematical induction best 3u topic amirite (edit: it's actually binomial theorem i lied)

Last edited:

fx82au

HSC
I’ve always hated them
so do I. my last math hand in task was a learning journal - seems fine, but I had 2 weeks to do an entire journal. The whole point of a journal is to continuously add to it throughout time, yet my teacher decides to give us the task only at the end of the term

mathematical induction best 3u topic amirite
Honestly, dont really like it cause you have to write out a bunch, and point out the obvious, buts its pretty easy ngl

carrotsss

HSC
You hate hand in maths tasks? wait why? I'd rather have an exam but they're... interesting tbh
I’m actually traumatised from the learning journal I had to do last term, it was such a pain because I went way overboard so I wouldn’t lose any marks (I got 100%, wasn’t worth the effort though). Maths hand in assessments have always felt forced tbh, I feel like maths just makes more sense as an in class exam.
so do I. my last math hand in task was a learning journal - seems fine, but I had 2 weeks to do an entire journal. The whole point of a journal is to continuously add to it throughout time, yet my teacher decides to give us the task only at the end of the term
Damn and I thought the learning journal I had to do was bad, that’s even more annoying, at least we got to do we were given the notification early 😕

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I’m actually traumatised from the learning journal I had to do last term, it was such a pain because I went way overboard so I wouldn’t lose any marks (I got 100%, wasn’t worth the effort though). Maths hand in assessments have always felt forced tbh, I feel like maths just makes more sense as an in class exam.

Damn and I thought the learning journal I had to do was bad, that’s even more annoying, at least we got to do we were given the notification early 😕
wait what's a learning journal? is that like a logbook? this year my assignments were just a bunch of questions based on the topics we had already done by the time it was assigned - like they required a little more time and thinking than what you would see in an exam but nothing that was super hard

carrotsss

HSC
wait what's a learning journal? is that like a logbook? this year my assignments were just a bunch of questions based on the topics we had already done by the time it was assigned - like they required a little more time and thinking than what you would see in an exam but nothing that was super hard
Yeah we had to keep a logbook of every lesson and write out examples for each lesson as well.

I made the mistake of typing mine up, and while the maths equations did look absolutely stunning it wasn’t worth it at all, you don’t realise how annoying it is to type out maths until you have to type nearly 7 pages of examples out :(

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Yeah we had to keep a logbook of every lesson and write out examples for each lesson as well.

I made the mistake of typing mine up, and while the maths equations did look absolutely stunning it wasn’t worth it at all, you don’t realise how annoying it is to type out maths until you have to type nearly 7 pages of examples out :(
a logbook? gosh that sounds horrible, i hope you don't get a learning journal this year

carrotsss

HSC
a logbook? gosh that sounds horrible, i hope you don't get a learning journal this year
I hope so too, but I wouldn’t put it past the teachers :(

I guess at least next time I’ll know what not to do, but it would still be annoying

baitutangs

HSC
yep this is basically our task along with some data collection for stats, i didn't even realise logbooks for maths were a thing :O good luck if you guys get them this year!!

mathematical induction best 3u topic amirite (edit: it's actually binomial theorem i lied)
vectors are literally right there >:C

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
vectors are literally right there >:C
i actually don't like vectors that much 😣 more precisely i don't like projectile motion (the rest of vectors is *mostly* fine), my brain literally never understands how to do it immediately after seeing a projectile motion question </3

baitutangs

HSC
i actually don't like vectors that much 😣 more precisely i don't like projectile motion (the rest of vectors is *mostly* fine), my brain literally never understands how to do it immediately after seeing a projectile motion question </3
i don't think our school counts that as vectors so we haven't done it yet but keep keeping at it i'm sure you'll master it soon!! :D personally i like proving so vector proofs and induction are my faves so far,, it's just that the induction conclusion our school uses is so long i did 4 questions and felt like my hands were going to fall off

HSC
how many hours are you guys studying?
yea im still mentally on holidays ngl

pre holidays i was doing about 3-4 hours a day of work, but after prelims i got extremely burnt out and thats kind of carried onto first term of year 12 coz i tried studying in the holidays aswell (which evidently was not a good idea...i shouldve just taken a proper break but oh well). as of now im doing about 1-1.5 hours of productive work which is pretty poor for me...

Vall

HSC

pre holidays i was doing about 3-4 hours a day of work, but after prelims i got extremely burnt out and thats kind of carried onto first term of year 12 coz i tried studying in the holidays aswell (which evidently was not a good idea...i shouldve just taken a proper break but oh well). as of now im doing about 1-1.5 hours of productive work which is pretty poor for me...
doing any amount of study (no matter how little) is a huge advantage over most of the state ngl and you'll be thankful later on

carrotsss

HSC
Ahh same, everyone else seems to be doing so much all of a sudden and I feel lazy for not doing much eventhough we’ve had barely any homework!
I take this back completely, ahh I have so much to do now, I’ve been studying religion for pretty much every waking hour
doing any amount of study (no matter how little) is a huge advantage over most of the state ngl and you'll be thankful later on
Yeah it amazes me how some people just never do any study

1-1.5 hours definitely isn’t bad for the start of term compared to most people, but I definitely agree that studying in the holidays is a bad idea, I didn’t bother studying in the holidays and I feel soo much more refreshed because of it, I don’t regret it at all.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I take this back completely, ahh I have so much to do now, I’ve been studying religion for pretty much every waking hour
good luck for religion! it feels so great once you're free from it afterward until the marks get back but that's a problem for future me

carrotsss

HSC
good luck for religion! it feels so great once you're free from it afterward until the marks get back but that's a problem for future me
Thanks, I can imagine year 12 will be so much easier once it’s gone until my marks come back and I see how much I got screwed over by doing badly on the first few school assessments

Oxy4u

HSC
oh i wish that was me 😭 for maths we've almost finished the first chapter of cambridge (my teacher said we would be speedrunning through the advanced topics so we could spend much more time on x1 and x2, and esp since we learned series and sequences in y10), and in english the teacher has set quite a few stuff already even though we've just started merchant of venice, the rest of my subjects have a ton of work already :')

(honestly though i feel you should just rest while you can)
bro what I have 2 teachers for maths 1 for adv and ext 1 and 1 for ext 2, and since some of those people in my adv and ext 1 class don't do ext 2 the teacher takes his time for adv topics like i haven't even started inductions, and i only get 2 periods of ext 2 each week

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
bro what I have 2 teachers for maths 1 for adv and ext 1 and 1 for ext 2, and since some of those people in my adv and ext 1 class don't do ext 2 the teacher takes his time for adv topics like i haven't even started inductions, and i only get 2 periods of ext 2 each week
my school does it so that everyone in y12 is split into three different streams for maths (4u+3u+2u, 3u+2u and 2u only), everyone starts off learning the same thing (an adv topic) then verges off doing the content at different speeds based on which stream ur in. the first two topics were both advanced (finishing off the second one). i haven't done any ext 1 content (that's gonna be 1 or 2 days from now, when we finish the current topic) and then i think 4u is two weeks from now though

dsakvyilsa

HSC
I have 3 different maths teachers :oops: 1 for advanced, 1 for ext 1, and 1 for ext 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)