• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2023 HSC chat (5 Viewers)

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
ohhhh thx do you remember the name of the thread?I wanna check it out
here are the two times ive explained, idk which is better

EXPLANATION 1

in your school cohort, all your ranks are recorded and the size of the gaps between ranks are also recorded and they are sent to nesa. the actual marks themselves have no effect, only the rank and the size of the gaps.

ALIGNMENT: you will then all sit the hsc and get a raw mark for the exam, this mark will not be reported (you have to pay for it). after this, your raw exam mark is aligned to get your reported Exam mark.

MODERATION: your moderated assessment mark (the reported internal mark) are then based on your school cohorts' Exam marks (the aligned ones that are reported).
rank 1 gets the highest exam mark (that someone in your school got) as their moderated assessment mark, and rank last gets the bottom mark (where possible), as their moderated assessment mark.
all other ranks get moderated assessment marks (reported internal mark) based on the marks people in your school cohort got in the HSC. These moderated assessment marks are based on your own rank and the gap between ranks. The total of the aligned exam marks for your school has to equal to the total of the moderated assessment marks.

these two marks for each individual are averaged (and rounded up if needed), to get your final HSC mark.

SCALING: these hsc marks are sent to UAC who scale each of your marks and the best 10 units are put towards an aggregate out of 500 (50 per unit). this aggregate determines your atar!

EXPLANATION 2

NESA:
alignment: raw exam marks --> exam mark
moderation: ranks and gaps --> assessment mark (based on cohort exam performance and ranks)
HSC mark = average of these two marks

UAC:
scaling: hsc marks --> scaled mark --> aggregate (total of scaled marks) --> atar

(note: only bold marks are ones you actually find out)

No surprises

HSC
here are the two times ive explained, idk which is better

EXPLANATION 1

in your school cohort, all your ranks are recorded and the size of the gaps between ranks are also recorded and they are sent to nesa. the actual marks themselves have no effect, only the rank and the size of the gaps.

ALIGNMENT: you will then all sit the hsc and get a raw mark for the exam, this mark will not be reported (you have to pay for it). after this, your raw exam mark is aligned to get your reported Exam mark.

MODERATION: your moderated assessment mark (the reported internal mark) are then based on your school cohorts' Exam marks (the aligned ones that are reported).
rank 1 gets the highest exam mark (that someone in your school got) as their moderated assessment mark, and rank last gets the bottom mark (where possible), as their moderated assessment mark.
all other ranks get moderated assessment marks (reported internal mark) based on the marks people in your school cohort got in the HSC. These moderated assessment marks are based on your own rank and the gap between ranks. The total of the aligned exam marks for your school has to equal to the total of the moderated assessment marks.

these two marks for each individual are averaged (and rounded up if needed), to get your final HSC mark.

SCALING: these hsc marks are sent to UAC who scale each of your marks and the best 10 units are put towards an aggregate out of 500 (50 per unit). this aggregate determines your atar!

EXPLANATION 2

NESA:
alignment: raw exam marks --> exam mark
moderation: ranks and gaps --> assessment mark (based on cohort exam performance and ranks)
HSC mark = average of these two marks

UAC:
scaling: hsc marks --> scaled mark --> aggregate (total of scaled marks) --> atar

(note: only bold marks are ones you actually find out)
OHHH So basically the exam mark is whatever you get in the hsc, and the assessment mark is the one would be affected by the rank
Which means I still can't slack off cuz if I performed poorly in the actual hsc (ill receive a bad exam mark) then I am done.
Because the average will looks something like 40/50 +15/50 then 27.5/50(the actual HSC mark)

Is that right?

No surprises

HSC
The overall HSC mark that you receive in a subject (in this case, Economics), consists of two marks, the average of which produces the HSC mark. The first mark is the Assessment Mark, which reflects your internal performance in the subject. This is the mark that is determined according to your rank relative to your cohort as well as the performance of your cohort in the HSC exam.

The second mark is the Examination Mark, which is the mark that you receive for your HSC exam. This mark depends solely on your own performance in the HSC exam of the subject, and is not affected by factors such as your rank relative to your cohort or your school rank.
Thankss I wanna kms rn

scaryshark09

HSC
OHHH So basically the exam mark is whatever you get in the hsc, and the assessment mark is the one would be affected by the rank
Which means I still can't slack off cuz if I performed poorly in the actual hsc (ill receive a bad exam mark) then I am done.
Because the average will looks something like 40/50 +15/50 then 27.5/50(the actual HSC mark)

Is that right?
yes that is correct

No surprises

HSC
Thankss I wanna kms rn
So the examination mark is not affected by any other factors but whatever I got myself in the exam right?;-;
For instance, I performed really bad in the hsc and got 20/50 for the paper but I got 40/50 for my school mark(due to relatively high rank), so my final mark for economics would be something like 30/50(which is what we call band 4?)

scaryshark09

HSC
@carrotsss or anyone, what happens if there's 10 people in a cohort with raw assessment marks between 70 and 95.
and then in the HSC, everyone gets 90 exam marks.
how would the moderated assessment marks work then??

carrotsss

HSC
@carrotsss or anyone, what happens if there's 10 people in a cohort with raw assessment marks between 70 and 95.
and then in the HSC, everyone gets 90 exam marks.
how would the moderated assessment marks work then??
I’m assuming you mean in a cohort of much more people than 10 (if it was a cohort of just 10 theyd just all get 90), not everyone would get 90. the way nesa calculates it is they give the top mark to the top person, bottom to the bottom and then they adjust the people in between such that mean moderated mark and exam mark are the same, and the mark differences/ranking distribution is approximately the same (assuming you know this but just in case), and so what will likely happen is due to the mark differences, some of them should get marks slightly higher than 90 and some slightly lower, depending on how large the broader range of exam marks is and how large the range of raw internals within the cohort is.

scaryshark09

HSC
I’m assuming you mean in a cohort of much more people than 10 (if it was a cohort of just 10 theyd just all get 90), not everyone would get 90. the way nesa calculates it is they give the top mark to the top person, bottom to the bottom and then they adjust the people in between such that mean moderated mark and exam mark are the same, and the mark differences/ranking distribution is approximately the same (assuming you know this but just in case), and so what will likely happen is due to the mark differences, some of them should get marks slightly higher than 90 and some slightly lower, depending on how large the broader range of exam marks is and how large the range of raw internals within the cohort is.
yeh ok, so in this 1/1000000000 chance that all 10 people get exactly 90, its possible for the hgihest moderated mark to be above 90 (lets say 94), even tho no one got over 90 in the exam (they all got 90)????
ik this would never happen, but i was stumped at what would happen cause ik they need to distribute the marks to represent the gaps, but ive never heard of the highest moderated mark being higher than the highest exam mark (cuase it isn't meant to be)
i would be interested to know what nesa would do in this case

carrotsss

HSC
yeh ok, so in this 1/1000000000 chance that all 10 people get exactly 90, its possible for the hgihest moderated mark to be above 90 (lets say 94), even tho no one got over 90 in the exam (they all got 90)????
ik this would never happen, but i was stumped at what would happen cause ik they need to distribute the marks to represent the gaps, but ive never heard of the highest moderated mark being higher than the highest exam mark (cuase it isn't meant to be)
i would be interested to know what nesa would do in this case
oh I thought you meant in a cohort of more than 10

in a cohort of only 10 people everyone one would get 90 yes

scaryshark09

HSC
oh I thought you meant in a cohort of more than 10

in a cohort of only 10 people everyone one would get 90 yes
wait what??????
this seems kinda unfair that they would all get 90, when their raw assesment marks are between 70-95

carrotsss

HSC
wait what??????
this seems kinda unfair that they would all get 90, when their raw assesment marks are between 70-95
from NESAs perspective the top assessment mark is actually 90 and the bottom assessment mark is also actually 90, so there’s zero mark distribution

that being said if they didn’t all get the same raw exam marks then hypothetically there would still be a very small distribution of raw assessment marks, and the first person would get the highest one and last would get the lowest one

scaryshark09

HSC
from NESAs perspective the top assessment mark is actually 90 and the bottom assessment mark is also actually 90, so there’s zero mark distribution

that being said if they didn’t all get the same raw exam marks then hypothetically there would still be a very small distribution of raw assessment marks, and the first person would get the highest one and last would get the lowest one
wait, so if my whole year group gets exactly 100 in every exam, we would all get 99.95 atars??
what happens with that considering only 45-50 people can get 99.95 as its a rank

scaryshark09

HSC
btw this is super realistic, we have all been grinding for the past 10 years for this point. we are all garenteed 100 raw in everything. be ready james ruse, watch out for ____________________ (my school)

carrotsss

HSC
wait, so if my whole year group gets exactly 100 in every exam, we would all get 99.95 atars??
what happens with that considering only 45-50 people can get 99.95 as its a rank
i mean it’s very hypothetical but yes probably, the aggregate for 99.95 would skyrocket and then NESA would sue you all for cheating

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)