2023 Visual Arts Written Exam (1 Viewer)

tangerines

HSC
i haven’t seen anyone else talk about visual arts here for this year yet but i thought i would make a thread about it anyway, my next exam is the va one and i’m not too nervous about the unseen images but i’m a bit worried for the essay since my artists are renaissance artists so if the question options cater more towards contemporary artists then i’m a bit screwed. anyone else here doing visual arts?

eat_a_lemon

HSC
don't worry about it - you'll always get the choice between 6 different questions, and they would never deliberately screw over a good chunk of the cohort by forcing students to talk about contemporary.
if it feels that way during the exam though, use your reading time wisely to revise what you know and dig deeper into the questions; for example, if the question is talking about "challenging contexts and audiences" (which is usually a contemporary thing) you can talk about political and religious dissonances as well from the contexts of your artists. stuff like "over time" or "revolutionary" you can also argue in relation to any predecessors or teachers an artist may have had, or compare the diverging ways artworks have developed depending on two different artists from the same time period.
however, 90% of the time you won't struggle to find a question you want to talk about because there's a lot of options to pick from. good luck!

tangerines

HSC
one hour before the exam!! remember for unseen images that if they give you extra info about the artwork, its there for a reason! make sure to pay attention to all the text info, good luck to all!!!

tangerines

HSC
LOVEDDD the unseens!! none of the essay questions really fit my artists so i had to make do with question 4 but otherwise i loved it, good like all the past years i agree

tangerines

HSC
Also if u use a frames question would you necessarily be required to use all four?
nope! for frames questions (both unseens and essay) they will only ask about one of the four frames per q. so for the two essay questions they were only asking for one frame each. it depends on the keyword of the question to figure out which frame its asking about, for instance im pretty sure the last q was asking about the postmodern frame (so you wouldnt have to talk at all about subjective, cultural or structural frames)

HSC
nope! for frames questions (both unseens and essay) they will only ask about one of the four frames per q. so for the two essay questions they were only asking for one frame each. it depends on the keyword of the question to figure out which frame its asking about, for instance im pretty sure the last q was asking about the postmodern frame (so you wouldnt have to talk at all about subjective, cultural or structural frames)
Yeah the essay questions didn’t really align with my artists Daniel Boyd and William Kentridge so I had to find the closest question that did

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)