2027 HSC Chat (2 Viewers)

HSC
I was just wondering what exactly scaling is, and why to consider it when choosing subjects. I get the general gist of it, but mainly wanted to know which subjects have high and low scalings and other relevant info. If any geniuses are here imma need an explanation

HSC
Wait so according to Rubix is a lower or higher break even point better? Lower I guess, but im kinda still confused. And how accurate are his break even scores?

ris08

HSC
I was just wondering what exactly scaling is, and why to consider it when choosing subjects. I get the general gist of it, but mainly wanted to know which subjects have high and low scalings and other relevant info. If any geniuses are here imma need an explanation
pick subjects based on what you like and are good at.if you pick subjects based on scaling and end up doing badly it will affect you alot more in your marks than if you picked a subject you would enjoy and did well in it.remember subjects "scale well" because they tend to be difficult to do well in and thus the effort put in to achieve a good mark is a lot higher compared to a different subject.

Shavi Masee

HSC
Scaling is a way that markers use to level each subject out e.g Chemistry vs Music 1; when you think about it which subject do you think would require more effort? not saying music 1 isn't hard but when compared to chem it kinda sounds easier right. Comparing them to what you have to put in and study etc..there is quite a big difference. Chem scales really well because of that (i'm doing both btw)
Therefore when choosing subjects - if you like chem and doing pretty good at it choosing it will be a good option. But if you hate chem and suck at it, scaling isn't going to help you at all (it only boosts you up a few marks), so you're better off doing something you enjoy.

So while you choose subjects based on where your talents lie, what you enjoy, pre-reqs etc. having a subject that scales pretty good will help your atar, but do not choose subjects JUST because it scales well. https://hscscalinggraphs.au/ use this website to compare different scaling of subjects.
I say If you don't want a really high atar like 90+ don't worry too much abt it.

BUT YOU'RE STILL IN YR 9 SO ENJOY YOUR LIFE!!!

Last edited:

WeiWeiMan

HSC
where does he even get the 'break-even' info from 😭 is it like a website or smth
stop talking about break-even point it's the most bullshit, badly interpreted metric
the website he uses is the talent 100 atar calculator tho

Wait so according to Rubix is a lower or higher break even point better? Lower I guess, but im kinda still confused. And how accurate are his break even scores?
his "break-even point" is prob fairly accurate as his own metric but it's utter bullshit
you need an 85 in pdh to not be affected by scaling? that's bullshit. you're being affected by scaling no matter what mark you get bruh

pick subjects based on what you like and are good at.if you pick subjects based on scaling and end up doing badly it will affect you alot more in your marks than if you picked a subject you would enjoy and did well in it.remember subjects "scale well" because they tend to be difficult to do well in and thus the effort put in to achieve a good mark is a lot higher compared to a different subject.
better scaling subjects tend to be easier to get a higher scaled mark in relative to how much effort you put in
e.g. 93 in 4u maths is easier to get than 97 in english advanced

I'm losing braincells looking at Rubix Learning tiktoks. Break even point is kinda scary
no point being scared over bullshit

Aint no way thats coming from u (hopefully sarcasm)
yeah sarcasm

Bendwhat?_over

HSC
Yes, right now you should focus on doing what you're good at and expanding your skillset. I recommend choosing diverse electives, make sure what you're doing now is setting you up for an easier going in year 10, and through to HSC. And, take as many opportunities as you can! You'll never regret it. But overall? Enjoy year 9 ahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)