22,000 confirmed dead in Burma(Myanmar) (1 Viewer)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I'm suprised the Australian Rudd government hasn't declared their support of aid, etc. Especially since the pre Aust gov, helped out in the Pakistani eqrthquakes, Bandah Ache earthquake, etc. Prob also because the Burmese military junta is so f'd up. I guess no one gives a sh*t anymore, 100,000+ people dead up to 4.5-5million homeless and it didn't even make the front page, oh wells.

flappinghippo

HSC
Probably because the Burmese are high on opium all the time what with all that opium farming nobody knows/cares.

'Yo Poon Tan what's with all this water'
'I dunno, but I sure am hungry. And high, I'm really high, Jimmy.'
'Shiiiit.. huh'

Crazy burmese crackers

Besodeiah

Banned
HSC
N/A
It's Burma.
So you know.

Oh look, Law and Order is on.

HalcyonSky

HSC

Shoubadoo

HSC
HalcyonSky said:
less than 2,000 people died in hurricane katrina
we never heard the fucking end of that, but this news gets half of page 3 allocated to it. heh.
Yeah, there was so much racism going on during Katrina, and it was all over the news, and with Burma the gov. is only just now allowing assistance from the U.S etc, which should be just as much all over the papers.

HalcyonSky said:
omg.
Ha, another example of the general public's disinterest in this issue would be the meagre 2 pages of comments on this thread.

Jess007 said:
yeh, cause everyday its bad news. wheter its about the iraq war or natural disasters, weve just become immune to the sadness of it, its become an everyday thing these days... how bad, i guess it will take someone each person knows individually to die for us to wake up and care as we use to, i think it started with 9/11.
Exactly. It’s almost as if we say “Well, the 2005 tidal wave killed about this many people, I can’t be bothered to go through that same shock again.” I wonder what the world will be like in 100 years. No, 50. 20, 10…

KFunk said:
Aye, and it seems, to me, to be a central problem revealed by moral psychology. For a semi-relevant study see: Sympathy and Callousness
I read most of it and I’d call that quite a relevant study indeed. Maybe a lot more people care then we think- they're just not using their money to its best advantage, for the greater good. Thanks for the link :]

flappinghippo said:
This reminds me of that Onion article headlined with "15,000 Brown People Die Somewhere"
Sad, but true, that’s how we’ve become.
It reminded me of something. On a contrastingly funny note to this serious thread, anyone heard the joke that goes:

Robert Gates (Secretary of Defense) is giving President George. W. Bush his daily briefing on Iraq.
He concludes by saying: "Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed."
"Oh my!" the President exclaims. "That's terrible!"
His staff sits stunned at this uncommon display of emotion, nervously watching as the President bends, head in hands.
The President looks up and asks, "How many is a Brazillian?”
?

It used to be a Blonde joke, but George has made himself such an easy target, especially with the decisions he’s made since since September 11.

Adios :)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
Besodeiah said:
shit happens man.

where the fuck was rambo?
that'd be my eulogy at your friends/relative's funeral.

worst troll.

back on the topic, somehow the burnmese govt isn't accepting aids, so how is anyone suppose to help?

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
HalcyonSky said:

Wow, the incest story is really getting a lot of attention than this, anything that's coming out of that old incest dude, it's headline news, eww.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Burma's military junta (whatever that means) refused entry to a US Hercules this morning. It was loaded up with aid supplies.

Terrible.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah, it's terrible.
But I think that the worse story is our indifference. We have no foundational framework which says that this is unequivocally horrendous and requires action.
Imsickofyr12 spluttered the relativist disease pretty accurately

Matt Samson

HSC
France has proposed passing a UNSC resolution forcing AID upon Burma.

China has said it does not support such measures.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I can't say I've been watching the news, but I haven't seen much in the paper headlines? Or maybe I'm blind.

Matt Samson

HSC
JaredR said:
I can't say I've been watching the news, but I haven't seen much in the paper headlines? Or maybe I'm blind.
I have been in the newsroom since 1pm and the top story for a lot of the day was about Hezbollah.

Nothing to report on Burma, except for the fact that a million people are about to starve to death and nations are still asking "permission" to move in.

Why ask permission? I say just go in and stuff the dictators.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Burmese junta seizes aid at airport and impounds it

BURMA'S junta has impounded two UN food aid shipments at Rangoon airport, triggering more outrage at the military government's refusal to accept a major international relief operation.

A furious World Food Programme regional director Tony Banbury told CNN: "We're going to have to shut down our very small airlift operation until we get guarantees from the authorities."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23669645-2,00.html
Might as well give up, how can they (the Junta Government) say they'll do it and not let foreigners come in and help? where eventually they'll just take the aid given by the UN and other charity organisations, then forcing their own people to PAY for aid, that's what I think they're doing, hence not letting foreigners in. Sickening.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
The Rudd Government's 3 million dollar pledge is a slap in the face of Australia's virtuous past.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
China has said it does not support such measures.
Not surprising. China - king of human rights!

I'm with whoever said that everyone ought to say screw the dictatorship junta crap and just force the aid in. The positives outweigh the negatives in this scenario.

And yeah, Rudd's 3 million is a load of shit.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I'm with whoever said that everyone ought to say screw the dictatorship junta crap and just force the aid in. The positives outweigh the negatives in this scenario.

And yeah, Rudd's 3 million is a load of shit.
there is 55mil people in burma, so we cannot possibly wait till the govt thinks the death toll is high enough to have to accept aid. these people are nazis and they will probably wait till half the population dies.

i reckon we can just air drop the food and clothes, the burnmese military would not dare to fire a missile at those planes because if they do, they know they will be in deeper shit than iraq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)