24 as a supplementary text (crime fiction) (1 Viewer)

Vuki

HSC
Hey,

I'm using 24 as one of my two supllementary texts (so my 2 prescribed + supplementary cover a wide range of both contexts and mediums), and i've got a lot of notes on it I made myself (i'm an obsessive fan), but i'm confused about something:

Should I look at a specific episode in itself, or can I look at an entire season (season 2). I asked a lady on the HSC advice line and she said I should use the text as a whole t.v. series but refer to one specific episode. Yet the crime in 24 is one that is solved on a season by season basis. Within each episode there is no singular crime, then subsequent denouement, rather the crime is solved throughout the 24 episodes.

I did this in my trial (just referred to season 2 as a whole) and did not lose marks for it. Is this ok to do in the HSC, has anyone talked to their teachers or anyone about a similar situation? The techniques and values and cubvertion of conventions I talk about are talked about in relation to the whole season, while they are detailed comments on conventions/context etc, i gain nothing at all from writing about a single specific episode, other than perhaps appeasing the markers need for such a finite look at a fairly epic series.

Any help is appreciated...

Vuki

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
24 rocks! Yeah, my friend used it for an assessment, dont know if shes using it for the actual HSC. Refer to a specific episode but contextualise it by talking about the scope of the entire season. So really you're talking about the storyline of the whole 24 episodes, but using specific examples from a particular episode to demonstrate the crime fiction conventions. Thats what my friend did anyway.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Precisely. Choose an episode which contains the techniques you want to talk about. Be very careful of going into too much detail about the story ('in the next episode, this person then does this..') and focus on the themes and techniques of your module.

persephone

HSC
i did 24 for an assessment task and my teacher said that you should refer to the application of conventions to the series as a whole and then apply the conventions to specific episodes in a specific season e.g. like episode 3 of season 2 where.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)