2nd shot at undergrad med...?? (1 Viewer)

garry007

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to do UMAT again this year and then transfer into the 5 year undergrad med course in Newcastle? Or is it only offered to HSC students? And if not at Newcastle, then at what unis is it possible at? And with a uai of 95 for instance, what kind of first year uni marks would be needed? Thanks guyz....

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You know I think this is something you could have found out for yourself, but since it's 0640 and I have nothing better to do I'll just tell you.

For UMAT, ACER places no limits on how many times you sit the exam, as long as you keep paying and are at least a year 12 student or beyond. Some students find that their performance doesn't change from year to year, others see small improvement, and yet others (with a little practice) see leaps in score - so repeating the UMAT can definitely be worthwhile.

Of the undergraduate schools in Australia, two are open to school leavers only and the rest will consider NRSLs within certain limits.

Monash (Vic) and Adelaide (SA) will only accept applications from school leavers, or students who have graduated and taken a year off, but NOT enrolled in any tertiary study. Adelaide does allow applications to transfer from students of other courses within the University of Adelaide, but NOT Dentistry. Monash has no such concessions.

UNSW (NSW), Melbourne (Vic) and Tasmania (Tas) will consider applicants based on a combination of high school and university results. UNSW measures academic performance in terms of UAI (50%) and GPA (50%) regardless of time spent at uni. This score is then considered as an equal component with Interview score and UMAT to determine selection ranks. Melbourne expects students to have an ENTER of at least 97, and will also consider university marks. Admission into the undergraduate stream will only be accepted from students who have completed less than 50% of their course - for single degrees this is three semesters, or one and a half years. Tasmania will consider applications from university students with a distinction or greater average, and for those with less than three semesters at university the TER must be greater than 97.

Newcastle (NSW) and UWA (WA) both consider NRSL applicants based entirely on their academic performance, with no consideration of school results (UAI). Newcastle requires a "close to credit average" performance, anyone reaching or exceeding this requirement is eligible for consideration. Selection is determined by interview performance, with ties broken by UMAT score. UWA has an elaborate TPS calculation system (best described as a nationally standardised GPA scale) provided by GAMSA. The minimum TPS for consideration is 5.5 (in the Sydney universities, this is a little above credit) and your ranking on the selection list is determined by an equal share of TPS, UMAT and Interview.

JCU (Qld) doesn't use the UMAT, and they rarely accept applications from non-rural and/or non-Queensland applicants. To be honest I don't know much about them and don't care either. You can try finding more information on their site, but I wouldn't bother.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
good work lex
but he could have found the stuff on the forums here in like 10000 different threads :)

garry007

HSC
N/A
thanks for ure reply...quite obviously i couldnt find an exact answer to my question(s) so i thought i may as well make a thread myself (if u can then plz paste links here)...sorry for the inconvenience guyz

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Amazingly, the UMAT handbook isn't actually accurate. It's a sufficient guide for last second afterthought decisions (like "I can apply to Adelaide? I didn't know that!") but if you're serious about taking med interstate you'd be well advised to turn to the back cover of the UMAT handbook and check the faculty pages yourself. Read through those guidelines carefully, because you don't want to be surprised by anything further down the track.

NichNich

HSC
Just mentioning a second option to you,

I did my HSC in 2003, but since I just crapped around a lot, I ended up with a 93.65 UAI and a horrible UMAT percentile of 210.

I repeated my HSC in TAFE and my UMAT in 2004, and since I've done the HSC and I know quite a bit of stuff in the courses, it would be way easier to repeat it to get a good mark rather than starting from scratch at university to get the same 'good' mark.

Even though I still crapped around in 2004, I got a UAI of 97.25, and a UMAT percentile of 242, still horrible as hell, but got me into Newcastle Med this year with a good interview!

So yeah, there's other options then to just start a year of uni in a course you don't enjoy...

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Monash (Vic) and Adelaide (SA) will only accept applications from school leavers, or students who have graduated and taken a year off, but NOT enrolled in any tertiary study.
Ummm. So if you've deferred a course, does that mean you can't apply? Or does deferment not necessarily mean enrolement...you've just deferred the offer, haven't you?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
'Defer' means that you didnt accept the offer and wish to enrol next year. Intermission is where you commence a course and take a year off for various reasons. What Robert is saying is that at Monash and Adelaide, if you have previously enrolled in a degree, then you are ineligible for applying, whether or not you completed your first degree beforehand.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You could enroll and withdraw on the same DAY, without attending any classes at all, and you'd already be ineligible. You can still "accept an offer" (as UAC demands) but the moment you turn up to uni and register as a student (sign the forms, bind to HECS etc) you have "enrolled" and are ineligible at the above schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)