2nd year finance maths (1 Viewer)

crazy_paki123

HSC
oh i guess youre right. but weve completed 42 Units. 4 compulsory core, 2 flexible core and a finance major compulsory unit (FINS1612), but yes it looks like well have to do 1 the summer. that sucks.

crazy_paki123

HSC
ill talk to UNSW to see if its possible to weasle out of it lol

106mikey

HSC
N/A
You're right, we have completed 42 units, BUT we still are required to do 2 more flexible core units from first year regardless of our credit points, which means for the first year we will have actually completed 54 UOC (42 from transfer + ECON1102 (6cp) + FINS1613 (6cp) = 56 UOC).

That's why it's weird that FINS1612 doesn't count as a flexible core, because we end up doing 1 more unit than we need to for the year.

Also, this means that if we have to make up these 2 flexible core units in our second year, that's 2 second year units that also need to be caught up, because we need 48 second year UOC, i don't think the extra 6 UOC from first year counts towards our second year UOC

Last edited:

Alkanes

HSC
You guys are having a very nice conversation which is nice to see.

Congrats on both of you on successfully transferring to UNSW. It sucks that you will need to do extra subjects/spend more time at uni but the uni has its rules and there is nothing you can do to change that.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Hey Alkanes, could you clear this up for us?

According to the handbook for BComm, there are 4 units that are core: ACCT1501, ECON1101, ECON1203 and MGMT1001.

Additionally, we have to complete 4 flexible core, say for example i choose: ACCT1511, FINS1613, MARK1012 and ECON1102.

That is 8 units or 48 UOC completed for year 1. However, in order to major in finance you must ALSO complete FINS1612, which is not listed as a flexible core or a straight core unit, but is a prerequisite to study finance. That means that every person that wants to study a bachelor of commerce and major in finance has to complete 4 Cores, 4 Flexicores, AND FINS1612, 9 units or 54 UOC in total.

Or alternatively, is FINS1612 supposed to be completed in the second year? Sorry if i'm confusing everybody.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3502.html

Last edited:

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Okay i think i get it now.

Also, in the interest of trying to score 3 or 4 HDs to look good for internship season, this semester i've decided upon taking easy subjects to start off.. namely, ACCT2522, ECON1102, FINS1613 and GENS4010.

Do you guys think i'm making it too hard on myself for next semester? Where i may end up having to take ACCT2542 and FINS2624 at the same time in semester 2, which some people think is a bad idea. Reckon i should swap ACCT2522 and ACCT 2542?

Alkanes

HSC
Hey Alkanes, could you clear this up for us?

According to the handbook for BComm, there are 4 units that are core: ACCT1501, ECON1101, ECON1203 and MGMT1001.

Additionally, we have to complete 4 flexible core, say for example i choose: ACCT1511, FINS1613, MARK1012 and ECON1102.

That is 8 units or 48 UOC completed for year 1. However, in order to major in finance you must ALSO complete FINS1612, which is not listed as a flexible core or a straight core unit, but is a prerequisite to study finance. That means that every person that wants to study a bachelor of commerce and major in finance has to complete 4 Cores, 4 Flexicores, AND FINS1612, 9 units or 54 UOC in total.

Or alternatively, is FINS1612 supposed to be completed in the second year? Sorry if i'm confusing everybody.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3502.html
To major in finance u must complete 8 finance courses or 48 Units with of Finance units including FINS1613 (from flexible) + FINS1612 (which you are asking). I don't major in finance but from memory you must complete all the cores (1616, 1612, 2624 and International Finance - can't remember code + 4 more electives).

FINS1612 can be completed at anytime of the year since its a first year elective, assuming you have successfully completed and passed FINS1613.

crazy_paki123

HSC
okay, i rang the ASB, and they said that i can either do the one subject in the summer or overload in the last semester of the degree (do 5 units instead of the usual 4). In order to overload you must have passed everything up to that date

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Another thing i think we should also consider is this:

http://www.charteredaccountants.com...am/Entry-requirements/Accredited-courses.aspx

Take a look at the 'Accredited Tertiary Courses' pdf and scroll down to UNSW. I'm not sure how this thing works, but from the way i'm reading it there appears to be a bunch of subjects that aren't listed in the unit guide for the accounting major that need to be completed in order to be eligible for CA.

At Macquarie in the Bcomm Accounting course we were on track with the ICAA unit requirements, but in order to complete all of the CA unit requirements for UNSW we would need a lot longer than 2 years by the looks of things.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
So that's 3 units that we are behind on now sigh...

What are you planning on doing?

crazy_paki123

HSC
well tbh if i have to do 4 years at New South aswell (looking increasingly likely) i might as well stay in Macquarie Uni and keep my D mark considering i havent accepted my UNSW offer yet.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
I've submitted my credit app and all of that to UNSW but it looks like i can still enrol at MQ until the end of this month, though i'm not sure if i'm stuck with UNSW now or not. Worse case scenario i just do units that will make for an easy transfer back to MQ after 1 semester and then continue studying there.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
I checked with MQ, we have plenty of time to decide, though you can start enrolling for classes on the 4th of feb so we should make a decision by then in order to get decent classes.

er15

HSC
I also moved to UNSW Bcom and looking at the requirements it will take longer to get a CPA from there than sticking to UTS. Is it better to stick to UTS and also keep my 81 WAM?

dizzlemizzle

HSC
I checked with MQ, we have plenty of time to decide, though you can start enrolling for classes on the 4th of feb so we should make a decision by then in order to get decent classes.
Currently in the same predicament as you, but I'm from UTS. Just wondering since you've already given in your credit app to UNSW, but your still technically a student at Macq wouldn't UNSW find out when their reviewing your credit app or something, because being in 2 unis at once is not allowed? also when your credits are approved, would you still be allowed to cancel your offer at unsw and go back to macq, assuming that macq has been unaware all this has happened..

er15

HSC
Currently in the same predicament as you, but I'm from UTS. Just wondering since you've already given in your credit app to UNSW, but your still technically a student at Macq wouldn't UNSW find out when their reviewing your credit app or something, because being in 2 unis at once is not allowed? also when your credits are approved, would you still be allowed to cancel your offer at unsw and go back to macq, assuming that macq has been unaware all this has happened..
Can't you withdraw from UNSW?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)