2nd year finance maths (1 Viewer)

dizzlemizzle

HSC
Can't you withdraw from UNSW?
yeah you can, but I thought maybe it would be different after the credits got approved or something because doesn't that go on the transcript? i dunno, you can still withdraw though so thats alright
If it wasn't for the CA requirements, I would be more inclined to transferring to UNSW, but it seems likely I might be staying at uts...

crazy_paki123

HSC
Im staying at Macquarie Uni even though itll take 3 more years as im doing Applied Finance and Professional Accounting. I dont want to give up my WAM for nothing and after all in Accounting its the marks that matter not the Uni.

er15

HSC
yeah you can, but I thought maybe it would be different after the credits got approved or something because doesn't that go on the transcript? i dunno, you can still withdraw though so thats alright
If it wasn't for the CA requirements, I would be more inclined to transferring to UNSW, but it seems likely I might be staying at uts...
I just called up UTS Business centre and they said it's fine and I just have to withdraw from UNSW. Btw, I am sorta lost on the Integrated information systems part at UTS. And also seems likely I'll be staying at UTS, with my gpa being 3.56 and 4 years at UNSW a killer with it's long CA requirements.

Im staying at Macquarie Uni even though itll take 3 more years as im doing Applied Finance and Professional Accounting. I dont want to give up my WAM for nothing and after all in Accounting its the marks that matter not the Uni.
Yeah sorta how I feel atm too.

dizzlemizzle

HSC
I just called up UTS Business centre and they said it's fine and I just have to withdraw from UNSW. Btw, I am sorta lost on the Integrated information systems part at UTS. And also seems likely I'll be staying at UTS, with my gpa being 3.56 and 4 years at UNSW a killer with it's long CA requirements.

Oh thats good then. For the integrated info sys, if you read the bottom bit it says: Please note: The Core Knowledge Area of Information Systems Design and Development has been integrated into this course, and is not offered as a separate unit. This CKA will only be awarded to candidates who have completed all other listed subjects
So we probably just have to complete all the other subjects listed and were good?

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Currently in the same predicament as you, but I'm from UTS. Just wondering since you've already given in your credit app to UNSW, but your still technically a student at Macq wouldn't UNSW find out when their reviewing your credit app or something, because being in 2 unis at once is not allowed? also when your credits are approved, would you still be allowed to cancel your offer at unsw and go back to macq, assuming that macq has been unaware all this has happened..
As long as i am enrolled in subjects at Macquarie by the census date and not subjects at UNSW than everything will be fine, i spoke to a really helpful guy on the phone who cleared everything up for me. If i were to not be enrolled in subjects by the census date at Macquarie then that means i have withdrawn.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Also if you guys have any friends doing the same thing it might be a good idea to pass the knowledge on, i'm lucky i came across that.

er15

HSC
Oh thats good then. For the integrated info sys, if you read the bottom bit it says: Please note: The Core Knowledge Area of Information Systems Design and Development has been integrated into this course, and is not offered as a separate unit. This CKA will only be awarded to candidates who have completed all other listed subjects
So we probably just have to complete all the other subjects listed and were good?
Oh okay makes sense. I figured out that it would only take me a semester extra since i'll be majoring in Accounting/Business Law. Is that still too long in your opinion? I am slightly hesitate to transfer or not, as giving up the marks seem like a big risk and I am not sure if I'll do as well at UNSW.

er15

HSC
I just spoke to a friend from UNSW who's also doing Accounting/Finance and he told me that it would take him 4 years as well to finish his degree since he wants a CPA. He started at UNSW from day 1, so it seems even those that have started at UNSW will take longer than the standard 3 year commerce.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
Oh okay makes sense. I figured out that it would only take me a semester extra since i'll be majoring in Accounting/Business Law. Is that still too long in your opinion? I am slightly hesitate to transfer or not, as giving up the marks seem like a big risk and I am not sure if I'll do as well at UNSW.
Depends what you wanna go for man, UNSW won't give you much of a leg up for accounting firms, but investment banks and law firms do discriminate so if you want to work in high finance or law then maybe go for UNSW. You also have to consider that graduating in July may make applying for graduate jobs a little more hectic, as they tend to recruit for people to start in January. I was originally wanting to go to UNSW to pursue honors in finance, but for me it's not worth adding 2 extra years on top of all the other sacrifices i have to make.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
I just spoke to a friend from UNSW who's also doing Accounting/Finance and he told me that it would take him 4 years as well to finish his degree since he wants a CPA. He started at UNSW from day 1, so it seems even those that have started at UNSW will take longer than the standard 3 year commerce.
That's weird, because i compiled a list of subjects that i would need to complete in order to satisfy the Accounting requirements, Finance requirements and ICAA requirements and it seems to add up to 144 units of credit perfectly.

Accounting and Financial Management 1A (Accounting)
Accounting and Financial Management 1B (Accounting)
Corporate Financial Reporting and Analysis (Accounting)
Issues in Financial Reporting and Analysis (Finance) (Accounting)
Management Accounting 1 (Accounting)
Management Accounting 2 (Accounting)
Business Finance (Finance)
Auditing and Assurance services (Accounting)
Business and the Law (ICAA)
Business Entities (Accounting)
Business Taxation (ICAA)
Information Systems in Business (ICAA)
Microeconomics 1 (ICAA)
Macroeconomics 1 (ICAA)
Business and Economic Statistics (ICAA)
Capital Markets & Institutions (Finance)
Portfolio Mgmt (Finance)
International Business Finance (Finance)
TBD (Finance)
TBD (Finance)
TBD (Finance)
Gen Ed/Elective
Gen Ed/Elective
Gen Ed/Elective

That's 8 units for both accounting and finance ('Issues' counts as 1 for both) and it satisfies the unit requirements for ICAA, the only flaw i think is that it doesn't have enough General Education/ elective units to satisfy that portion of the commerce degree, so that may be why it takes a little longer, but everything I've listed here can be completed in 3 years.

er15

HSC
That's weird, because i compiled a list of subjects that i would need to complete in order to satisfy the Accounting requirements, Finance requirements and ICAA requirements and it seems to add up to 144 units of credit perfectly.

Business Taxation (ICAA)
Microeconomics 1 (ICAA)
Macroeconomics 1 (ICAA)
Portfolio Mgmt (Finance)
TBD (Finance)
TBD (Finance)
TBD (Finance)
Gen Ed/Elective
Gen Ed/Elective
Gen Ed/Elective

That's 8 units for both accounting and finance ('Issues' counts as 1 for both) and it satisfies the unit requirements for ICAA, the only flaw i think is that it doesn't have enough General Education/ elective units to satisfy that portion of the commerce degree, so that may be why it takes a little longer, but everything I've listed here can be completed in 3 years.
Seems about right, a semester more due to general eduction. I'll ask him again though.

Btw, one downside transferring is that UNSW Business doesn't offer hecs for summerschool?

crazy_paki123

HSC

Business Taxation (ICAA)
Microeconomics 1 (ICAA)
Macroeconomics 1 (ICAA)
Portfolio Mgmt (Finance)
TBD (Finance)
TBD (Finance)
TBD (Finance)
Gen Ed/Elective
Gen Ed/Elective
Gen Ed/Elective

I tried that too but in the degree u are only allowed 60 UOC for 1000 level subjects and if you try to satisfy all three requirements itll be too much due to marketing. so u can not get credit for that and go there but im staying at mac, might as well if there similar and might as well keep my wam

er15

HSC
Oh god, really? I didn't know that.
Yeah, I was quoted $4000 yesterday when I visited the ASB student centre.

But she said I could do general education in the summer to fast-track my degree since majority of Gen Ed courses are covered by Hecs.

You also had your credit application processed by UNSW right? Are you going to withdraw from UNSW now too?

106mikey

HSC
N/A
I dunno man, i'm really on the fence. We still have plenty of time to decide and I don't want to make any hasty decisions, i might wait a few days and then see how i feel.

er15

HSC
I dunno man, i'm really on the fence. We still have plenty of time to decide and I don't want to make any hasty decisions, i might wait a few days and then see how i feel.
Yeah, this is also what I am doing. I've asked my family members who've majored in Accounting to ask around their work and personal experience in regards to this situation.

106mikey

HSC
N/A
If you're looking to just work in big 4 accounting or commercial banking then UTS is fine, but UNSW will give you a leg up in the big leagues like IB if you were planning on having a crack at it.

er15

HSC
If you're looking to just work in big 4 accounting or commercial banking then UTS is fine, but UNSW will give you a leg up in the big leagues like IB if you were planning on having a crack at it.
Yeah sorta my dilemma as well. At UNSW I felt I'd just do Accounting/Business Law, where as UTS i originally applied for Accounting/Finance.
I guess going to think about it over the next few days and such.

crazy_paki123

HSC
meh im not worried too much about IB, more about big 4 and meeting the CA requirements hence ill stay at Mac. But yes 106mikey is right, if u guys really want IB then go for UNSW

106mikey

HSC
N/A
So what did everyone end up doing? I've gotten in contact with an accounting professor at the ASB for advice, still deciding!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)