2nd year in B ACST (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi! I am going into 2nd year in Actuarial Studies! Hehe! I am happy but also worried as I heard 2nd year is the hardest year to go through (or maybe just more people failing, so most of them drop it out >_<)

Anyway. I have enrolled in these few units for next semester and was hoping (hopes hopes...) anyone could give me some (anything! >_<) details of the units and some suggestions when studying those units. That'd be very very helpful and appreciated! ^_^

ACCG253
ACST200
STAT272
ISYS 1--
STAT171

And what happenned was I failed STAT171 in the 1st year (well i got a P *excuses*) So I'm not sure if I should do 5 units for the semester or not, as I don't want to fall behind but I don't want to fail any either. Suggestions?!?!

THANKS!!!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
thats a hefty work load...id leave the isys/comp til later in your degree when you have more time, since it is no longer a pre-requisite for anything actuarial related (assuming you are not doing comp/actuarial double degree)

That's my opinion. Oh and Stat171 should be a breeze for you second time round.

CloudStrife

HSC
ACCG253- Most actuarial students would find this subject easy. I went to the first lecture and the last lecture and the tutes were compulsory so you kind of keep up with the workload.

ACST200- I only got a pass in this, it's tough because the lecturer makes the exam hard. You won't get the CR unless you thoroughly understand the stuff. i.e. You should try to stay on top and even ahead in this course coz cramming is going to be hard.

STAT272- depends on who's teaching it. Barry's exams are 'easier' than Jun's in that he won't make every Question in the paper hard. Try to do the assignments yourself coz it will help you learn and make sure you understand your stuff.

STAT171- Doing the course a second time would be alot better. But make sure you do the work this time round ;)

Try to ask David Westcott or Jim Farmer on whether there's an appropriate semester to squeeze in a subject somewhere. They're the academic advisors for actuarial studies and have been helpful for me when seeking similar questions.

All the best in your studies!

HSC
Yesterday, 9:20 PM #2
To Supra,

I see! I won't do Isys yet then! thanks! and I'll try my best in Stat171. lol >_<

Today, 10:21 AM #3
To CloudStrife,

Hey, thanks for the info! they're very helpful! I'll try my best! ^_^

Also. Does anyone have any of the lecture notes for any of this units (apart from STAT171) still saved in their computer? If you do please contact me!!!! thhxxx! ^_^

P.S. and and.. also the name of the textbooks I'd need to buy for these units especially ACST200?! Thxxx

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

On the topic of those subjects, do you 3rd year or above guys recommend we buy all the textbooks for them?

I know ACST200 has course notes, just wondering if we need really need textbooks for accg253 and stat272?

Thanks

@Moonlitedreamz: I did have the files saved on my comp but unfortunately I formatted my comp lol

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
pLuvia said:
On the topic of those subjects, do you 3rd year or above guys recommend we buy all the textbooks for them?

I know ACST200 has course notes, just wondering if we need really need textbooks for accg253 and stat272?

Thanks

@Moonlitedreamz: I did have the files saved on my comp but unfortunately I formatted my comp lol
No point buying the stat textbook as I've never even opened mine :( .

As for accg253 book, you might want to buy it but people have managed to get through relying on just lecture notes (which are summaries of the textbook anyway).

P

pLuvia

I read in the unit outline that we use the textbook for STAT272 for STAT271 as well?

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
pLuvia said:
I read in the unit outline that we use the textbook for STAT272 for STAT271 as well?
Well I don't know about use, but it is the same textbook. Seriously though you'll never need it since the lecture notes are pretty good.

P

pLuvia

jake2.0 said:
Well I don't know about use, but it is the same textbook. Seriously though you'll never need it since the lecture notes are pretty good.
Ah ok thanks for that

CloudStrife

HSC
I'd second the notion of not buying the STAT271/272 textbook.
accg253 book can be good if you use it.

weiwern28

HSC
N/A
Did ACCG253 last sem, never bought the textbook but borrowed it from friends each week to get the tutorial questions. You might want it because it contains more detailed information than the lecture notes, etc. Feel its similar to ACST101 in the sense that the textbook is not required.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)