2nd year subject in 1st year? (1 Viewer)

samm3

HSC
I am trying to squeeze in a double major and wondering if its ok to do 2nd year subjects in my first year. Are 2nd year subjects more difficult? There seems to be no pre requisites involved.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
If there are no prerequisites and you have a high UAI you can persuade them to enrol you into the subjects, but that will depend on faculty and uni. They are slightly more difficult than first year subjects but doable.

ssglain

HSC
What degree are you doing and at which uni?

If these 2nd year subjects have no prerequisites, then usually you can request for special permission from the faculty to do it in 1st year. You should contact the unit coordinator and discuss the possibilities of arrange something like that.

I know that at USYD, there are several 2nd/3rd year maths/IT subjects which you can do in 1st year either through TSP or through special faculty permission. There are probably similar things in other faculties (and in other unis).

rhia

salty
HSC
you just need to contact whoever you need to contact - unit convener or the head of that particular department - to discuss your personal situation, relevant knowledge, etc. if there are no pre-requisites, you might be alright.

i'm doing second year subjects in my first year - japanese. i spoke with the unit convener about wanting to enrol in that unit because the first year level was too basic for me and she signed my waver and now i'm all happy.

EdmondDW

HSC
I did a second yr's chem course in my first yr...
coz I didn't know some physical chem formulas which were taught in first yr, It definitely affectted my mid session exam...although finally I got HD for this course ...
I think I can do better if I took it in second yr...
So....:mad1:

Last edited:

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
You don't need permission eaither, I'm doing a 4th year subject in my 3rd year and it enrolled just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)